TRI-PHAN - THRUST VECTORING TRI-COPTER BY MONOPHAN

VAALLEON

This is a prototype that I designed during long drives of a recent road trip. It’s a combination of tri-copter and MonoPhan thrust vectoring technology. The purpose is to come up with the most stable EDF powered camera platform. The unit always stays level while the thrust vectoring takes care of all directional input. No tilting at any time. I also wanted to reduce the lateral resistance therefore wind drag by keeping it level.

Never packed this much electronics, mechanics and cables in such a tight space before. 35mm EDFs powered by an amazing Genace hardcase lipo which also act as the landing gear. It took me a couple of days to tune it well enough to fly. The smaller the harder… I believe the flight time is over 5 minutes.

It has interesting flight characteristics:) Will work on fixing some of the lose parts to get it to some higher speeds and test the maneuverability... Ignore the date on the video. This was taken today. Thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shS-MIpFUZ0

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Why am I picturing the next level for quad racing being done with ducted fans? I was surprised to see LB was not the first to post a reply here though.

Again Vaaleon you amaze us with what you do.

VAALLEON

WOW! Montiey, LitterBug, DamoRC, rockyboy, Ricci, cranialrectosis, PsyBorg... Thank you guys!!! U guys made my day:)

I forgot to register to this thread when I started it. Just logged back on to post the new flight video and just saw the responses... THANKS!

Re-assembled the unit fixing some lose parts. Flies like a charm. Not suitable for high winds and it is tiny but still beats the wind pretty well as seen in the video.

The flight time is AMAZING for a tiny EDF contraption:) I calculated over 7 minutes theoretical flight time, which means I can easily get more than 6:30 minutes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QB-Th0XgA4

VAALLEON

The maiden flight of the new 64mm TriPhan. It turned out to be a real beauty. Just wanted to hover a little bit and test the flight and the controls. Flies very well. Crash landed at the end of the flight due to hardware failure. I could swear it was ESC failure but then they didn’t even feel hot. When I got back I realized that the flight controller failed!!!

My first flight controller failure during a flight. Will replace and test again.

This unit is built to be a part of a larger project which I believe some will find very interesting. Hopefully I will make updates in the next couple of weeks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aK3uw8KO0U

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Absolutely LOVE this! My tris have been sitting in the corner all lonely like. Makes me want to dig them out. Still want to build a micro tri for indoor flying.

Cheers!
LitterBug

varg

Build cheap, crash cheap
Nice work. That's cool and seems to fly great. Think it'll be fast? Sounds a bit like a vacuum cleaner hovering but it'll probably sound really cool screaming by at full tilt.

Last edited:

VAALLEON

Absolutely LOVE this! My tris have been sitting in the corner all lonely like. Makes me want to dig them out. Still want to build a micro tri for indoor flying.

Cheers!
LitterBug

Thanks LitterBug! I do like the tris. I think they look really good:) Hoping to have a better flight video when I replace the FC with a new one. The flight time will be somewhere between 5 and 6 minutes but I feel like I can test a slightly larger battery in the future.

VAALLEON

Nice work. That's cool and seems to fly great. Think it'll be fast? Sounds a bit like a vacuum cleaner hovering but it'll probably sound really cool screaming by at full tilt.

Thanks! I think it will reach some pretty decent speeds. the whole point of this design was to build a stable EDF cam platform, especially in high winds. So, if we are not going fast then we are not beating the wind. I will have a better idea when I pass this phase and really test the flight capabilities.