Tri tilt T-copter? Possible? The Yawcopter. Picture.

Peterthinks

T copter and Yaw copter.jpg I'm building the simple one in the background first. The one in the front I call the "Yawcopter" It's three tail assemblies. I imagine hooking them all up to the rudder control would give it quite the turning radius, kinda like a blender. But what I want to know is can the two at the front tilt forward as you up the throttle? Could they tilt back when you want to stop? I guess I could just have them hooked to a switch or something... I don't know. What do you think is the best way to drive this thing? Is there some configuration of channel mixing or a board that can handle this? Hello by the way, I'm Peter... I build stuff. This will be 3D printed. I designed a heavy sturdy trainer version (pictured) and a trimmed down light speed/endurance version (not pictured). I used Sketchup pro (Don't tell my wife I bought it!). Any thoughts? I have a KK-mini coming to me in the mail to run this. 300mm from motor to motor.

Peterthinks

T copter final no guards sturdy version parts plated.jpg T copter final no guards light version parts plated1.jpg I got the files ready for the 3D printer. There is a sturdy version that is heavier (for training) and when I get the hang of it I'll make the lighter version. These are the files for the simple T-copter but I can also make the Yawcopter by just printing three of the tail assemblies.

Last edited:

ZoomNBoom

View attachment 52954 But what I want to know is can the two at the front tilt forward as you up the throttle? Could they tilt back when you want to stop?

Yes, and yes. Although 3 may be too much of a good thing. I did something similar, with just two tilt mechanisms on a t-copter. I connected both servo's to a hardware V tail mixer, then one channel went to the naze board for yaw control, the other directly to a spare receiver channel, bypassing the naze. So the naze would then tilt the motors opposite of each other for yaw, just like a traditional tricopter only with two props moving, and I put the other receiver channel on a slider of my transmitter, which would tilt both rotors forwards/backwards.

Peterthinks

Yes.maybe three is too much but I might as well try. It only costs about fifty cents for the plastic. Maybe a prop up front that I can just turn on when I want a burst of speed. But I'm getting ahead of myself here. Tame version first.

Billchuck

I've been wrestling with this idea for a few months now. The big issue is that pitch control is also forward motion. In the "yaw copter" I want elevator to control motion by angling the front motors, but then there's no pitch control. Maybe a slider or knob could be used to adjust the pitch when needed.

This control config probably needs custom firmware. You need a channel that goes through the FC and just controls the motor angle without affecting the pitch control inputs. I haven't done much research, but the few FCs I've looked at all do custom motor configs by determining how much each motor contributes to each axis control.

Peterthinks

Got the heavy version printed

T copter heavy.jpg Got the heavy version done. Doing a little redesign to save some weight but overall I'm happy with it.

Peterthinks

Heavy version is 51 grams, light version is 15 grams. The build continues. Hopefully there are some parts in my mailbox tomorrow!

Peterthinks

Mail's in! Build on!

Tcopter1.jpg Tcopter2.jpg Tcopter3.jpg 535 millimeters from motor to motor, 10 degree inward tilt on all motors (along the booms, not to the CG) CG is 154 millimeters past the T. Afro race spec mini 20A speed controllers, Turnigy 2213-935KV motors, 10X4.5 props, KK-Mini, OrangeRx R615X, Turnigy TG9 Eco micro servo, 12.8X12.8X600mm Aluminum square tubing frame and various 3D printed parts in PLA plastic. Plus one VERY understanding wife who doesn't yell when I decide to cut aluminum square tube with a dremel at 2AM in the kitchen! http://tcoptercalculator.co.nf/ Many thanks to Stunt Double's T copter calculator!

Last edited:

Peterthinks

Thanks for the link!

That's pretty close, yes same idea almost. Nice to know it can work. It's gonna be a little different with three motors especially with the yaw motion. I'm gonna learn to fly before I try anything crazy. The first build here is a conventional T copter. Nothing too fancy to begin with.

Peterthinks

T-Copter wiring.jpg Got the wiring harness all done, added a couple more connectors to bring out power to either another motor if this harness ever ends up in a quad or lights and FPV equipment.

Peterthinks

Total weight without the battery is 489.5 grams. If anyone can see a fault in this wiring That would be great! I gotta wait for the mail again before I fly so anything I can correct before I power it up would help. wiring1.jpg c wiring2.jpg

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Total weight without the battery is 489.5 grams. If anyone can see a fault in this wiring That would be great!

yeah . . . .you might want to remove the bind plug ;)

looks fine from what we can see -- can't tell about the ESC/servo connections, but assuming they're right you should be on your way.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
BTW, have you put any thought into reflashing the kk2 board?

If you haven't, you really should. Stock ROMs from HK are abysmal. The open source ROMs (Steveis, RC911) are far superior. you will need some hardware to reprogram an Atmel chip, with a USBASP as the usual suspect. An Arduino can do it as well, but you'll have to hunt down the sketch to drive it. (there is an example sketch that has been reported to work, but anyone I personally know who has tried, hasn't succeeded and switched to a different interface)

The best software to drive the flash process is the kkMulticopter Flashtool, and it lists the variety of programing hardware it supports, along with a repository of ROMS it can reprogram on various boards/ESCs.

Peterthinks

USBASP? I don't know anything about reflashing but I can give it a shot. Yes the bind plug will be removed I just don't want to lose it. If you were sitting inside it like a tiny pilot the speed controllers and servo are wired 1 front left 2 front right 3 rear 4 yaw servo. Thanks for the heads up I'll look at re flashing.