Tri tilt T-copter? Possible? The Yawcopter. Picture.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
That Vid is a bit dated, but some shortcuts:

- skip kkmulticopter.com -- LazyZero's kkmulticopter flash tool is hosted here:

http://lazyzero.de/en/modellbau/kkmulticopterflashtool

The tool is about 1/3 of the way down the screen, the driver is about 2/3 the way down.

- you are using the USBASP, but your board is a "kk2.1 and kk2.1.5"
- the latest firmware is not Steveis's 1.9 -- don't trust the order in the list to get you the "latest"
- the blue "i" button next to the firmware will take you to a official page/blog/thread for the selected ROM.
- you will need the 6 pin header. The 8 pin (more standard) has all the right signals, but not to the right pins. if you've built adapters before, it's trivial to fix. if you haven't . . . 8 to 6 pin adapters they are sold online.
- If you plug it in backwards . . . nothing happens. It won't power up, but noting will be damaged. If you plug it in the right way around, the USBASP will self-power the board.

Peterthinks

Thanks Craftydan! I got the software up and running (that was a Java challenge!) and the driver is a folder waiting for the USBasp to arrive in the mail. I'll flash KK2.1 V1.19S1 Pro by Steveis. Unless there is a better firmware to flash onto my KK mini. It's based on KK2.1.5 and has the firmware version 1.6 and that includes a Tricopter setting already. Is the Hobby King software that is already installed really that horrible?

Aaronc_89

Aaron Clements
I have been thinking about this for a long time, can't wait to see how you go with Programming,

My thought process is;I don't see the use of pitch if you are able to move forward and backwards via the tilt control, if you are able to keep the main mass level and stable at all times during the flight then the motors wouldn't have to work as hard to maintain stability which I would assume leads to greater efficiency, I was even thinking going as far as a side to side tilt on each motor so they would all be under 2 axis control to be able to gain a level strafing movement by tilting the rotors slightly to the side.

The issues I do see arising is any sort of inaccuracy in the mounting and moving/tilt mech is going to create big issues in keeping the flight smooth, linkages etc would have to have very tight tolerances. the other being the gyro effect that spinning props and motors create would require pretty high torque/fast moving servos to maintain agility.

Thoughts?

Would be a fun project either way and working out the kinks is the best part!!

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Thanks Craftydan! I got the software up and running (that was a Java challenge!) and the driver is a folder waiting for the USBasp to arrive in the mail. I'll flash KK2.1 V1.19S1 Pro by Steveis. Unless there is a better firmware to flash onto my KK mini. It's based on KK2.1.5 and has the firmware version 1.6 and that includes a Tricopter setting already. Is the Hobby King software that is already installed really that horrible?

For tricopters particularly, it's pretty bad. It can fly and can be tuned, but it is a buggy and unhappy ROM. You will almost certainly notice the difference.

It's one of those few cases when the "new and improved" version was worse than the original, despite the better specs. That lasted for several months, until the ROMs could be fixed by the tinkerers in the community. Even after that, HK, in their quest to not pay programmers, haven't shipped a single one with the fixed ROMs.