Tri280 Mini Tricopter Frame

kah00na

I've been flying simplecopter's Mini Tricopter for a while now and was given the opportunity to try a new frame called the Tri280. It looks pretty sweet but it is still in developmental stages. I told the developer I was probably going to run SunnySky 2204's like I do on my simplecopter, but he suggested something bigger and to use 4S instead. I finally decided on trying the recently-released SunnySky 2207 2100kv motors with 20 amp ESCs. Also, a first for me, I'm going to try to use a CC3D flight board. Supposedly a newly released version of their firmware makes tricopters fly real well... side note - the Naze32 has TERRIBLE defaults for tricopter. Anyway, here's my review of the frame. When the parts get here, I'll be assembling it. This should be lots faster than my current mini tricopter which makes me even more anxious to get started!

kah00na

I've started on the power distribution board. I'm planning on completely covering it with liquid tape after I'm sure I'm done with the soldering so nothing shorts out accidentally. I still need to run my FPV camera & vTX in between the lower plates. The smaller sets of wires are for a voltage monitor & LED strips.

20141224_164630.jpg 20141224_170100.jpg

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
If OP doesn't work for you then you could always flash Tau on the CC3D...it's a bit limited due to the hardware but for a LOS craft should still fly well at least. OP is some nice code and decent hardware...but I just can't bring myself to use it given the attitude of the current development team and the stuff they pulled that caused so many of their developers to split off and start Tau. The CC3D is very similar to the Naze32 but unlike the Naze32 isn't a minaturized clone of a Chinese design that made some ridiculous choices. I'm very interested to see how it works out for you.

I really need to do a Tri one of these days. I had planned on scratch building something like a SimpleCopter T as my next new build...but then had this hex land on in my lap so my tri plans got pushed back :D I'm still tempted to bash one together out of bits I have laying around...think I still have 3 decent blue wonders and I know I have at least F20 ESC's (overkill for blue wonders but I have them) I have all the bits to bash together a MW/FlySky RX integrated FC ... but I don't have any suitable servos. If I did I probably would have bashed a beater together already :D

Interesting that those SS2207's are cheaper than their 2204's. Curious to see how they work out for you. You don't have a thrust stand to do some benchtop comparisons with do you?

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
Hmmm, I did get a 8% off code from banggood in the mail yesterday that's good through the end of the month....

Have to finish paying off a few Christmas bills and see how much is left for me. I'd regret overspending but watching my daughter tear through the wrapping paper this morning and start working her way through the toys was so worth it :)

She also surprised me. The kid who complains about the smell of EVERYTHING loved the smell of the hardware store on Tuesday and is begging me to take her back (did not expect her to like that store at all!) and Santa left her a pack of rocket motors in her stocking and she's super excited about getting to fly some of my old rockets later today or tomorrow...if this wind lets up a bit.

kah00na

All ESCs soldered in. I have all my parts except for the motors!! I'm assembling the rest of it and hopefully they'll show up next week. This going to be my first multirotor with a CC3D.
wiring harness.jpg

Last edited:

Bennet

Hello everyone I'm new to FT threads and am not 100% sure im using it the right way. But anyway I have searched for over a year on where to buy this mini tricopter but I just can't seem to find it. Does anyone know where? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Bennet

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
That frame does look great. Just I don't think it will fit 6 inch props and 2206 motors will it?

I am running HQ 6045s on 2204 SunnySky motors. You should have no trouble at all with 2206s unless you consider being overpowered to the point where the copter can leave your range of sight in a nano second a problem. :)

When Twitchity was designing this frame, he took our desire for 22mm motors and 6" rotors very seriously. I am willing to bet that if you want one of these custom built to handle 7" rotors, he would do so for you at a pretty good price assuming of course that you are willing to post the build. :)

Last edited:

Bennet

I'm just looking for something that is really REALLY fast and nimble that will blow the doors...or rotors... Off of my brothers armattan mini tri!:cool:

jipp

My Ghod that is a HUGE, HULKING, BEAST of a frame.

To me (compared to the Twitchity) it looks like a flying brick.

its the He-Man version. I have the power of tri-skull!

i agree the twitch is much more elegant.. id ike one.. but if the man stops building twitch tri, wont happen. so just looking at other tri-coptor frames, as id like to fly one to compare to a quad.. however im not really all that interested in the FT type tri.. seems a little big for me.. even tho i do want a larger multi for AP.. just not a tri for such..

chris.