TriCopter Crashes and Sinks in a Lake at Camperdown on Australia Day

bmsweb

Site Moderator
Hi Guys,

I may start a thread on Camperdown Fly in which happens every year here in Australia. It basically a slope soaring event that attracts people from all over the country. In any case back to the point of this post. On Australia day which was our last day there my mate did an FPV flight over the lake with his TriCopter but something went wrong! Its still in the lake and they are taking a 2 hour drive to camperdown to see if they can recover it.

It wend down with GoPro Hero HD, OSD System, FPV Camera etc

earthsciteach

Ooph! What a shame! At least you got the splash point on video and those guys look really close to it. Hope they find it! Sad that the waterproof housing wasn't on.

bmsweb

Site Moderator
Yes he was very devastated about it poor bugger.

As far as recoverable gear I would imagine everything from possibly OSD, GoPro Skeleton Case though to Memory card etc Will find out later today if they get it back.

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
A shame and quite a loss and a lesson to the rest of us. Don't fly over water without a few added ounces of foam for flotation in case of emergency!

If it is recovered keep it in water till it can be disassembled. Then wash electronics with distilled h2o followed by an isopropyl alcohol wash then blow dry with compressed air. That should help recover the electronics. Beware of plastics with the alcohol wash.

Thurmond

Last edited:

Shadow74

Multi-rotor madman
Wow, so sorry to see this happen. i understand how this feels......well the crashing part anyways....my tricopter went down unexpectedly a few weeks ago, although I was able to recover everything cuz it was in a pile in Chad's yard. LOL

Hope ya get it back.

Cheers,

Eric

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
I saw the video earlier today...
Whaaaat a bad ending. It flew sooo nice and then all the electronics on it including all the FPV gear and OSD and stuff.

Too bad really.

bmsweb

Site Moderator
If it is recovered keep it in water till it can be disassembled. Then wash electronics with distilled h2o followed by an isopropyl alcohol wash then blow dry with compressed air. That should help recover the electronics. Beware of plastics with the alcohol wash.

Thanks for the info! I've SMSed him with your info (still driving up there) and he will stop somewhere to pick up a bucket or something.

Will keep you posted.

BTW: In the FatSharks he saw the tricopter bank over but immediately lost video. So I have a feeling it was an electrical problem of some sort that took everything out in one hit

Last edited:

RCLEE

I posted a message on another forum about this incident. For those of you flying over water, here is a great little bit of cheap insurance. http://www.water-buoy.com/ I have one on my quad. Which came in handy a couple of days ago. Saved my quad, motors and open pilot control board. Only lost the battery and escs. Check out the end of my flight.

bmsweb

Site Moderator
News Flash! Just got a call from JB and it looks like the recovered it. Its in a bucket in distilled water as per suggestion and its on the way home. Looks like the rear prop is missing one blade. Assume it came off in flight but can't be certain.

bmsweb

Site Moderator
That little guy is an awesome reporter!

Thanks Colorex, he loves all this stuff. Soon as my friend JB called us he wanted to do this video. 1 take and we went with it. It will be interesting to see how much of it he can get going. I'll be interested to see if the GoPro works