Tricopter drift issues

piisceiss

I made myself a Titan tricopter with a vector flight controller. It flies quite fine and steady but with a few issues. It constantly wants to drift to the right and a little forward and trimming does not seem to help. I have recalibrate multiple times as well so kinda at a lost now.

Check your frame for vibrations, excessive vibrations can cause weird flight behaviour. Secondly you may need to adjust your PID settings, especially the I values. I is the value that keeps the copter from changing it's angle without you wanting it to.
There are much more things to consider. Are you using a stabilized flight mode, or are you flying acro?

PHugger

Church Meal Expert
I also fly a Titan (on a Naze32). I'd suggest carefully checking the COG. Make sure it's balanced (adjust battery position).
That said, it seems likely something else is going on here. You stated that Forward trim didn't help with Rightward drift.
This may sound dumb, but did you try to adjust the Left/Right (aileron) trim?
I can usually get it dialed in pretty close. My son, who is a (much) more experienced multirotor pilot, always told me to not worry about minor trim. He said you constantly need to make adjustments when you are flying. If you want a hands-off experience try a DJI.....
When I first started flying LOS, I did a lot of hovering. As I started to fly FPV, I learned that it's much easier to keep flying forward. I don't worry about a perfect trim any more. I heard the Flitetest guys talk about this too. Some of them (Josh B?) fly comfortably on horribly trimmed models. It depends on how you fly - hands-on the sticks or more hands-off.

If you are still struggling try to contact the Vector guys for some help on these forums -
http://www.rcgroups.com/eagle-tree-systems-443/
http://fpvlab.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?40-Eagle-Tree-Systems

Best regards,
PCH

piisceiss

Check your frame for vibrations, excessive vibrations can cause weird flight behaviour. Secondly you may need to adjust your PID settings, especially the I values. I is the value that keeps the copter from changing it's angle without you wanting it to.
There are much more things to consider. Are you using a stabilized flight mode, or are you flying acro?

Yeah I haven't tuned my pids a whole lot. I got the p gain to be pretty good and its not oscillating any more. So it could be the I value. It's supposed to be an ap machine so I fly it a lot in stabilized mode, I have a 250 for acro flight.

piisceiss

I also fly a Titan (on a Naze32). I'd suggest carefully checking the COG. Make sure it's balanced (adjust battery position).
That said, it seems likely something else is going on here. You stated that Forward trim didn't help with Rightward drift.
This may sound dumb, but did you try to adjust the Left/Right (aileron) trim?
I can usually get it dialed in pretty close. My son, who is a (much) more experienced multirotor pilot, always told me to not worry about minor trim. He said you constantly need to make adjustments when you are flying. If you want a hands-off experience try a DJI.....
When I first started flying LOS, I did a lot of hovering. As I started to fly FPV, I learned that it's much easier to keep flying forward. I don't worry about a perfect trim any more. I heard the Flitetest guys talk about this too. Some of them (Josh B?) fly comfortably on horribly trimmed models. It depends on how you fly - hands-on the sticks or more hands-off.

If you are still struggling try to contact the Vector guys for some help on these forums -
http://www.rcgroups.com/eagle-tree-systems-443/
http://fpvlab.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?40-Eagle-Tree-Systems

Best regards,
PCH

It could also be very well be my cg is off so I'll have to give it a try. But both my aeileron trim and my pitch don't seem to do a whole lot. Oh well, I'll just have to keeep playing with it

Darkback2

wonder if it could be a bad motor? I've had it where a bad motor (shaft bent after a crash) made slightly less thrust than the others. That usually only showed up during hard acceleration though... There was some creeping because the bad motor would vibrate slightly. I swapped the motor to another location to see if that was the cause, and when the problem followed the motor I swapped it out for a new one...Problem solved.

Hope this helps.

DB

piisceiss

Thank you for all the help, I've been tuning the pids and it seems to be helping. It was never really unmanageable but just annoying