Tricopter first flight issues.

Lpaus

So i got my tricopter working and i keep trying to attempt to take it off but usually one side allways rolls over the other. It is way to sensitive also. Is there any tips that can make it much mellower on the sick and take off evenly?

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
So i got my tricopter working and i keep trying to attempt to take it off but usually one side allways rolls over the other. It is way to sensitive also. Is there any tips that can make it much mellower on the sick and take off evenly?

Take off from a level outdoor open area. Trim (the small lever-button close to your control sticks) towards the opposite side of where the tricopter wants to go - until it's level.

What radio do you have? Look in the manual on how to set up dual rates, if possible. 50% is good.

Lpaus

Take off from a level outdoor open area. Trim (the small lever-button close to your control sticks) towards the opposite side of where the tricopter wants to go - until it's level.

What radio do you have? Look in the manual on how to set up dual rates, if possible. 50% is good.

I have a Spectrum Dx6

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
I have a Spectrum Dx6

If it's a DX6i, I can walk you through. I don't know how the Dx6 is, it's a previous version.

Enter the menu - scroll to D/R and Expo - enter - make sure your D/R switches (face of the transmitter, top right and top left switches) are set to 0 and enter these values or similar:

Aile: 75% + 35% Expo
Elev: 75% + 35% Expo
Rud: 100% + 40% Expo

Lpaus

If it's a DX6i, I can walk you through. I don't know how the Dx6 is, it's a previous version.

Enter the menu - scroll to D/R and Expo - enter - make sure your D/R switches (face of the transmitter, top right and top left switches) are set to 0 and enter these values or similar:

Aile: 75% + 35% Expo
Elev: 75% + 35% Expo
Rud: 100% + 40% Expo

yes it is the DX6i and thanks a bunch, i will try it out tomarrow and let you know how it goes!

Formori

Beginner Crasher
I was playing with hovering mine tonight just after finishing the build (I'm a little impatient to fly, lol), and just setting my trims and calibrating all the gyros, setup and ESC's earlier helped. I had it floating in no time!

Pay close attention to you're FC settings and the P and I gains, as well as the controller rates and what your Tx is setup for, these will all impact how your multi flies and how much control you have.

SteveOBHave

I'd reset all the endpoints to start off with and then neutralise all your control board gains like Formori said. The flipping thing could be down to either of those things being off.

dezertdog

Did you set your throttle endpoints? If not one motor could be racing to full power while the others are still spinning up. Take the props off, put the Yaw POT to zero, turn the Tx on, put the throttle to full, power up the tricopter, wait for the start beep, a battery beep, then two beeps, then put the throttle to zero and power off the tricopter. Put the Yaw POT back to 50% or whatever and power on. With the props still off, slowly power up and make sure you hear all the motors spinning up at once.

Also what controller board and firmware are you running? I've seen this behavior with a reversed roll gryo.

The KK V1.6 firmware out of the box should not need any reversing with the motor rotation as follows: front left CW, right right CCW, rear CCW.

Another thing to check is that the controller board itself is mounted with the arrow facing forward, and that you have the motors plugged into M1,2,3 correctly. If the roll axis / arrow on the board is pointing forward, with the props off spin up the motors to 1/4 throttle. Then move the right stick left, down, right, up. You should hear the motors correspond with left:right motor spins faster, down:front two motors spin faster, right:left motor spins faster, up:rear motor spins faster. If that's not working right, switch out the M1,2,3 connections to correct it. If this is working right, check your gyros, with the props off and the throttle at 1/2, when you dip the left boom down, the right motor should slow down. Do this for each direction and check to make sure the behavior is the same. Front dipped, rear slows down etc.

Hope this helps.

Lpaus

Did you set your throttle endpoints? If not one motor could be racing to full power while the others are still spinning up. Take the props off, put the Yaw POT to zero, turn the Tx on, put the throttle to full, power up the tricopter, wait for the start beep, a battery beep, then two beeps, then put the throttle to zero and power off the tricopter. Put the Yaw POT back to 50% or whatever and power on. With the props still off, slowly power up and make sure you hear all the motors spinning up at once.

Also what controller board and firmware are you running? I've seen this behavior with a reversed roll gryo.

The KK V1.6 firmware out of the box should not need any reversing with the motor rotation as follows: front left CW, right right CCW, rear CCW.

Another thing to check is that the controller board itself is mounted with the arrow facing forward, and that you have the motors plugged into M1,2,3 correctly. If the roll axis / arrow on the board is pointing forward, with the props off spin up the motors to 1/4 throttle. Then move the right stick left, down, right, up. You should hear the motors correspond with left:right motor spins faster, down:front two motors spin faster, right:left motor spins faster, up:rear motor spins faster. If that's not working right, switch out the M1,2,3 connections to correct it. If this is working right, check your gyros, with the props off and the throttle at 1/2, when you dip the left boom down, the right motor should slow down. Do this for each direction and check to make sure the behavior is the same. Front dipped, rear slows down etc.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the advice and i know what my problem is. I was holding my tricopter and added very little throttle, when i tipped it to the left the right motor would turn way up and it would flip the tri over. So it seems the gyros are reversed, it should be compensating with the other motor. How do i fix this?

dezertdog

Please NEVER do that with props installed, I can't begin to tell you how dangerous that is. Wait I can, short version is 18 stitches.

Is this a basic KK board with KK V1.6 firmware? If so have you ever tried to reverse the gyros or is this stock?

Sounds like what would happen if you plugged into the KK board backwards. Anything you dip should speed up, the opposite side should slow down.

On my KK board I have the ESCs as follows:

Front Left Motor = M1
Front Right Motor = M2
Rear Motor = M3
Rear Servo = M4

Last edited:

Lpaus

Please NEVER do that with props installed, I can't begin to tell you how dangerous that is. Wait I can, short version is 18 stitches.

Is this a basic KK board with KK V1.6 firmware? If so have you ever tried to reverse the gyros or is this stock?

Sounds like what would happen if you plugged into the KK board backwards. Anything you dip should speed up, the opposite side should slow down.

On my KK board I have the ESCs as follows:

Front Left Motor = M1
Front Right Motor = M2
Rear Motor = M3
Rear Servo = M4

Yes, it is the basic firmware and im not sure how to reverse the gyros? And that may have sounded like i had the props on before but i didnt, i know that can be quite dangerous to have those big props spinning at your face.

dezertdog

The only things I've seen that cause the drastic flip are:

1) ESCs plugged into wrong motor pins (see above chart)
2) Reversed Gyros (no reversing is needed with a standard tri and KK v1.6
3) Gyro POTs adjusted wrong (start at 50%)
4) ESC throttle limits not set
5) KK board not mounted with roll/arrow forward

Lpaus

The only things I've seen that cause the drastic flip are:

1) ESCs plugged into wrong motor pins (see above chart)
2) Reversed Gyros (no reversing is needed with a standard tri and KK v1.6
3) Gyro POTs adjusted wrong (start at 50%)
4) ESC throttle limits not set
5) KK board not mounted with roll/arrow forward

Yea according to the chart above i have my ESC's plugged into the wrong spot