Tricopter flashed esc VS without flashed esc

Poulpc

i am new to tricopter, just ordered the Bat Bone kit (i love the look), and i was looking for videos of tricopters without flashed esc and with flashed esc, but i can't find any videos that realy shows the difference between them

the setup would be to have matching tricopters doing the same moves ind split screen

-Poulpc

Carl

From what I hear, you only need to flash your ESC's if you want the quickest response time, which is only needed for stunt flying. I have many multicopters (tricopter is the most fun) and use different ESC's which have never been flashed. If you are just starting out the blue hobby King 30amp ESC's are a safe bet for a good price.

Poulpc

oh oki, most build tricopter videos i found they take about flashing the esc, os i thot it was a tricopter thing, thx for the tip on blue hobby King 30amp, sadly hobbyking Backorder on Europe Warehouse, but it this one you mean Here

Carl

yes that is the ESC, another good one just more money is Turnigy plush 30 just remember to buy 3.5 bullet connecters to solder on to the ESC or if you do not like to solder the multistar ESC's are very good and come with bullet connecters, just make sure they have a BEC. IF your making a quad or something bigger I like to use opto ESC's and then you only need one ESC with a BEC to power your control board unlike a tricopter which needs two ESC's with a BEC, one to power the board and one to power the servo.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...ar_30_Amp_Multi_rotor_Brushless_ESC_2_4S.html
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__2164__TURNIGY_Plush_30amp_Speed_Controller.html

Poulpc

thx Carl, but i strike out again, both Backorder on Europe Warehouse :(, but it takes 1-4 weeks before i get my Bat Bone Tri 370 Kit, so maybe they will be back in stock

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
Flashed vs non flashed ESC's!

This subject seems to be surrounded with much conjecture and mystery which is simply not necessary or necessarily true.

When a DC motor is started it takes an amount of time to go from zero rpm to the desired rpm. This is the ramp up slope. Older DC brushed motors / controllers uses a low angle slope so it took longer for the motor to reach full speed once it received a command to speed up. This low angle allowed the current required to reach speed to be maintained at a low limit

Brushless motors add another variable into the mix and that is, since they are actually 3 phased motors, the phase angle and relationship between the rotating magnetic field that drives the rotor and the actual rotation of the motor need to remain "locked" in step with each other.

All the High speed ESC firmware does is assure that the above condition is maintained while increasing the ramp slope towards vertical so that the motor reaches the commanded speed as quickly as possible while maintaining the current at a level that is not in excess of the component limits the ESC.

Bottom line is a High Speed ESC responds to inputs more quickly whether issued from the Operator or from the Controller which translates to quick response and better stability because of the quickened response.

It doesn't matter if SimonK wrote the new firmware or if a manufacturer wrote it. If the parameters of safe high speed operation are adhered to by both writers the ESC's should perform similarly.

This is of course a gross simplification of the details. If you want in depth discussion then you will find it in all its brain bending glory here"

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1513678

Thurmond

Last edited:

Poulpc

yes Tritium i understand that now, it would be nice to is it in action in split screen, to see the speed difference ind real life

aiidanwings

yes Tritium i understand that now, it would be nice to is it in action in split screen, to see the speed difference ind real life

I can't tell any difference in performance. Maybe it's just me? Or the particulars of my power system?