Tricopter major tail heaviness

ScreamingChicken

Hi all,

Having a bit of trouble figuring out what to do with this Electrohub Tricopter of mine.
IMG_20160703_190700.jpg

I've tried mounting the battery at the front horizontally, even added a few small lead sinkers, but it's still tail heavy....rear motor gets much hotter than the front ones. Tips backward on the CG when I try to balance it on my fingers.

Any suggestions other than getting a bigger battery (need to anyway as it's just a 2200mAh) and adding more lead to the front?

Specs:
Motors are RCTimer MT2830 1000kv with 10x4.7 props, 30A rotorgeeks ESCs, Naze32 controller, ES3154 tail servo. Booms are 12mmx12mmx325mm. Also carrying a 5v BEC, boardcam, 600mw VTx

Thanks

Darkback2

Not sure this would work but...could you shorten the back arm a tidge? If you did then the motor would be closer to the cog moving its own weight forward...

trevoof

I usually mount the battery along the roll axis of the tricopter, all the way up front, with half of the battery sticking out beyond the eletrohub plate.

I think that's pretty normal unless you use the RCexplorer style battery tray with a GoPro mounted all the way up front.

ScreamingChicken

I usually mount the battery along the roll axis of the tricopter, all the way up front, with half of the battery sticking out beyond the eletrohub plate.

I think that's pretty normal unless you use the RCexplorer style battery tray with a GoPro mounted all the way up front.

Thanks! I'll see if I can do something similar.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Move anything that is not required to be on the back boom somewhere else as far forward as possible. (ie VTX antenna)

Cheers!
LitterBug

Habakkukk

Fly Eagles, Fly!
So tricopters are a little funny. You back motor is always going to run harder than the front two. If you don't plan on adding a GoPro or HD cam up front, I would shorten all of your booms by a few inches, since it has the added weight of the servo at the end, shortening all the booms will move your cg forward.. You don't really want one shorter than all the rest, it will make it a little unstable in certain situations (unless your willing to spend a lot of time in cleanflight tuning).