Tricopter Problem

Lpaus

Hello. I have a tricopter I have been working on for a while and I cant get past this one issue, which i have tried looking up many times. I can get the motors to work individually without being connected to the kk board. But once I put the KK board in the mix then the motor(s) will not work. I have tried every combination I can think of and I am getting quite discouraged. If anyone knows the issue it would be great if you could pitch in some idea. If you want a picture or video let me know.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Does the light on the board blink when you plug it in? It should do that.
Have you armed the board? Do this by putting throttle down right or down left for three seconds - the light should come on and the motors should spool up with the throttle.

Lpaus

LED light on

Does the light on the board blink when you plug it in? It should do that.
Have you armed the board? Do this by putting throttle down right or down left for three seconds - the light should come on and the motors should spool up with the throttle.

The LED light is solid red, I tried the bottom right/left stick thing and it changed nothing, its like nothing is getting to my reciever. I checked each individual motor and it works fine. No clue whats going on with it.

ipetepete

Are the ESC's plugged in the right way? with the positive wire on the inner most portion of the board, the negative should be on the outer edge of the header pins

you previous answer sounds to me like the whole arming is new to you, so I think that is where you need to find your solution.
could you explain what you all do before you want to fly?
ex.: TX on, connect battery to tricopter, arm, fly.
like colorex said, you can arm your board by putting your throttle down and your yaw to full right or full left for a few seconds. if this doesn't work you can try trimming your throttle down and/or your yaw to left or right (depending on your firmware for how long) (make sure all your controls are set to 100% travel(or more))

btallis

I had a hard time "arming" my KK board the 1st time, too. Couldn't figure out what the heck was going on.
So, what I ended up doing was plugging an extra servo I had laying around into channel 1 and then moving the sticks on my transmitter, noting which "channel" was affected. I also checked to make sure that the servo was moving in the direction I expected it to. When I plugged the servo into my "throttle" channel (#3), I noticed that the servo moved in the opposite direction as the other channels. This made me realize that the channel needed to be reversed on my transmitter. That fixed it!

Make sure you do NOT have any props on when messing with channels, servo reversing, etc!

Last edited:

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
Are the ESC's plugged in the right way? with the positive wire on the inner most portion of the board, the negative should be on the outer edge of the header pins

Your statement is not technically correct. The Inner wire is a "Signal" wire, The middle wire is the "Positive" wire and the outer wire is the "Ground or Negative" wire.

Thurmond

ipetepete

Your statement is not technically correct. The Inner wire is a "Signal" wire, The middle wire is the "Positive" wire and the outer wire is the "Ground or Negative" wire.

Thurmond

Of course. I stand corrected. I did mean the signal wire, I was trying to think about what would be affected if it was reversed, thinking about the positive in the middle wouldn't change or fry anything, and my words came out scattered as my brain is usually ;)

Lpaus

Yes ok well i turn on my tx then plug in my battery. I tried doing the bottom to the right thing and no responce. That is what i do to try to start it normally. I have plugged in all motors sepperatly not going through the kk board and they work find. Somewhere in the kk board there is somehow no messege telling the motors to go getting through.

Lpaus

you previous answer sounds to me like the whole arming is new to you, so I think that is where you need to find your solution.
could you explain what you all do before you want to fly?
ex.: TX on, connect battery to tricopter, arm, fly.
like colorex said, you can arm your board by putting your throttle down and your yaw to full right or full left for a few seconds. if this doesn't work you can try trimming your throttle down and/or your yaw to left or right (depending on your firmware for how long) (make sure all your controls are set to 100% travel(or more))

I first turn on tx, then plug in battery. I have tried that bottom right/left thing and nothing happens. I have tried setting trims down and left or right still nothing.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Try this:

Take off the props.
Turn the Yaw pot to the minimum.
Set throttle stick to minimum, turn on Tx.
Plug in the battery.
The motors should spool up with the throttle input.

If they don't you might need to reflash the board.

Lpaus

I just turn on TX plug in battery, tried arming but LED is already on as solid red. Thats pretty much all i do. Tried doing the trim thing but still nothing... I am getting quite discouraged as I have had the tri copter build for months and i cant fly it...

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Sounds like something is wrong with your board... Do you have the USB ASP programmer? Have you tried re-flashing the board?

Lpaus

Sorry guys for posting the same thing 3 times haha i thought it was not posting at all because I didn't see page number two. I am going to try all of these idea right now and i will get back to you. Thanks for the help everyone.

Lpaus

Try this:

Take off the props.
Turn the Yaw pot to the minimum.
Set throttle stick to minimum, turn on Tx.
Plug in the battery.
The motors should spool up with the throttle input.

If they don't you might need to reflash the board.
What do you mean by "Yaw Pot"?