Tricopter tail prop direction.

mlutze

Sorry if this is a noob question, but I am just getting started. So lots of question ...

Anyway, can I use a CCW prop on the rear of a quad? I am using a KK2 board (rcexplorer V2.5 build) but just have a set CCW and CW for the front, and only purchased a CCW for the back. And what do I find out when I power up the board? The motor direction is supposed to be CW. Certainly not a big deal to get the proper direction prop, that is what I happen to have now. Also if I can use a CCW prop, do I need to make any setting changes on the KK2 board.

Any suggestions and help on this would be greatly appreciated.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Should be fine. Some people use all the same props all the way around. Just be aware that you might lose some yaw authority in one direction due to torque. You can adjust the servo to compensate easily for it though.

mlutze

Ok that is very cool - so do I need to do anything to tell that KK board which direction I am running the motors, or does it just figure it out?

Derived42

Ok that is very cool - so do I need to do anything to tell that KK board which direction I am running the motors, or does it just figure it out?

Nope. You should just leave the KK2 layout menu as is (I honestly don't know if you can change prop direction on the motor layout screen). When I first built mine, I had all CW props and it handled it fine.

mlutze

Thanks Derived42! For that it is worth. I did some digging and playing with settings and found that if I go to Channel 3 in the mix editor, and change RUDDER value from -100 to 100 it will change the direction of the arrow for the motor layout. I have not had a chance to fly, so not sure then if it matters one way or another.