Tricopter Tie

acidburn7777

Anybody think this would work, the main body of the tie would be ofcourse built of foam, and the sub frame which will hold the motors and electronics will be carbon fibre or wood
rctie_zpsb86b8aeb.jpg

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Hold on to that idea!

The next user generated contest we'll be having on the forum is for multi rotor bodies.

CrashRecovery

I'm a care bear...Really?
Mentor
I love it!!!!!!! I don't see why it won't. I'll be starting a multi-rotor cover design contest in a few days. I say build it and enter the contest!!!!!

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
That is one nifty idea.

Although I'm not sure what kind of thrust flow you're going to have with an angled planform above and below the front props. I can't imagine what sort of low pressure bubble dynamics it will create between the front props.

But planform obstruction is seldom, if ever, considered by even advanced multi-rotor builders, so building it with an inherent inefficiency will probably not seen as a negative.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
'dactyl, it shouldn't be much worse than the "prop in a slot" profile jet designs. They are able to hover them, even with the built in inefficiency.

Edit** Oh crud... I missed the part about the angled planforms...

Since they both fold in, it should cancel each other out, until pitch input is applied, then one side will be providing more force than the other.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
The only difference from the design that I would do, is incorporate the front motor support arms into the foam of the lower part of the "wings". It would provide more clearance, and add to rigidity.

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
Interested to see this built.

I have been planning an H-Quad based on the Space 1999 "Eagles".

Thurmond

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
What could also be done for those angled pieces is use a high contrast stiff or very taught screen, maybe a 3/16" mesh.

It would still provide a decent "look" of a Tie-Fighter, yet drop the obstruction of flow by 50-80%.

Another control issue would be trying to do a hard yaw when going forward fast. Those almost vertical planes will serve as one heck of a vertical stabilizer. A mesh would also help reduce that aspect.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
You could always just make the "wings" flat instead of with the bend. If the test flight doesn't work out.