Tricopter w/ LED Props

Heli-Yeah!

Gremlin on the Wing
I just ran across this video on Youtube. I love lighted rotors!!!

He has used two 1.5V button cell batteries attached to each hub/spinner. If I ever get around to building my own Tri/Quad, this will have to be a part of the build!

Pure Awesomeness!!!!! :cool:

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
If that is homemade I am going to build this!
It looks awesome and is good for orientation as well!

I am searching for a how to so keep your eyes open.

ananas1301

Wow, You could kill your cat if a led gets loose...

That is why I used CA just now to attach the LED.

However I made the terrible mistake to drop CA all over the place when I wanted to attach the battery to the hub of the prop. Wiring is no problem so far, attaching LED neither. I just can´t find a good battery.

ananas1301

Yeah it does! What I suggest you might want to do is just get an LED Strip and attach it under the rear arm of the Tricopter. That way you always know where the back is.

ananas1301

Hey guys!

I just managed to do my first successfull attempt for making one of those LED Props for my own.

Here is a little "how to":
I just took one wire that is a little longer then half the size of the prop and stripped it. As many of you know, you´ll find many little mini wires wired together: Just take a couple of them (not many, just 4-7, so it stays light but still is safe enough to know, okay that will conduct the electricity) It mights not sound so but then you´ll need to make two very thin wires to keep them as low weigt as possible. I don´t know why but you can´t just rub your thums, they are too thin for that, so you´ll need to get that twist into the wires by hand always makind half a turn and so on. 10 minutes job and you´re done with the 2. Then you´ll just take an LED and carefully bend the two metal ends at 90° so that the LED will face forward to the front side of the prop and the 2 metal ends will be closely by the end of the prop. A little CA to hold that in place will do just fine.
Then you´ll just have to attach the two wires to the two metal ends and use clear tape to attach the wires to the backward side of the prop. Try to use as little amounts of everything as possible so you won´t have to add too much at the other side. Just on the hub of the prop, attach the wires to the batteries and then you´ll need to make your own way. Up to now it all was pretty much straight forward but attaching the wires to the batteries seems harder then it sounds. clear tape won´t hold the wires to the batteries and CA wouldn´t conduct and fill up the space between the wire and the battery--> not conducting.
That is the only drawback of my version + that you can hardly turn it on or off: So I´ll need to look for something in that way.
Here some pictures and a short video of it on my Event 3D.

IMG_0074(1).JPG

IMG_0075(1).JPG

IMG_0076(1).JPG

IMG_0078(1).JPG
BTW: I made the motor just run a low rpm´s because I didn´t balance the prop properly and did want to kill my little brother who just next to me with parts flying away :D Also the green circle on the picture was a full circle but the camery takes one picture in a fraction of a second, so our eyes won´t see as "fast" as the camera did. It just looks like a perfect full shiny circle to us.
I´ll put in a link of the video as soon as it is uploaded.

Last edited:

UndCon

UndCon
The idea is simple enough - just balance your props carefully after the mod and make sure you glue everything safe in place as the speed of the tips can be quite fast.

//UndCon

ananas1301

Thats what I thought too, but in fact the LED I used is so light, that it doesn´t fly off with using CA. That´s pretty much it I think.

Btw: Here is the video, I promised :)

Last edited:

UndCon

UndCon
Here is a cool idea - how about letting centrifugal forces act like the switch?
A small wire will do it.

I must test this myself...

ananas1301

Here is a cool idea - how about letting centrifugal forces act like the switch?
A small wire will do it.

I must test this myself...

That is a great idea! But for that you´ll need to place the switch on of the blades to get enough beneficial centrifugal force to make a small 0.001g of the wire bend. Since F=ma and since the mass is very small the acceleration is gotta be very high. I am excited to see what you´re doing with that now! Please don´t forget to post the final results :)
I broke my last props yesterday in this crash...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeIm4SWpKgA&feature=youtu.be
(Just at the end you can see the crash)

Last edited: