Tricopter Windestål Style Yaw Mechanism

RoyBro

Mentor
Sold Out: Tricopter Windestål Style Yaw Mechanism

I've put this off because it's kind of embarrassing. But after seeing what guys are prototyping on their 3D printer, my window of opportunity is limited. So here it goes.

When I decided to build David's tricopter design, Hobby King was out of the steerable nose gear parts needed to build the yaw mechanism. I searched everywhere online scrutinizing pictures and specifications until I found them in in Malaysia. The shipping was steep, and I'm one of these guys that can't stand to pay more for shipping than the actual item(s) being shipped. It's an OCD thing. So I ended up buying four bags. I could only hope that they were the right parts.

While waiting for them to arrive, Hobby King got some in stock. I told you I was cursed. Not sure if the Malaysia items were the correct ones, I ordered two more bags from Hobby King before they ran out again.

Two days later the parts from Malaysia arrived and they were indeed perfect, as were the Hobby King items that arrived a week later.

The OCD thing kicks in again and I can't stand having all the parts, so I assembled them. These have been drillled, sanded, fitted, assembled and tested for smooth action. I have over a dozen of them.
So I can either build a fleet of a dozen or more tricopters, or I can try to at least try to recover what I paid in shipping costs. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :eek:

YawSingle.jpg

YawGroup.jpg

I figure if I can get $3.50 each I can make back what I spent. Priority Flat Rate shipping is a minimum of $5.80 so I'm looking into what it would cost for First Class. I'm guessing it will be a bit over $2.

Just to reiterate, I am not looking to make a profit on this. And I'm not looking to compete with Flite Test. I just don't need a dozen tricopters. :rolleyes:

PM me if you are interested and I'll get back to you with a final amount.

Last edited:

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
RoyBro,

Use small padded mailers (envelopes) and shipping will be VERY cheap. I have shipped hundreds of leds that way.

Thurmond

RoyBro

Mentor
Hey, I'll definitely take one. I'm new to this forum, let me know how i paypal you, etc. Thanks, John

PM me and I'll give you the specifics.

Use small padded mailers (envelopes) and shipping will be VERY cheap. I have shipped hundreds of leds that way.

Yup, exactly what I did. First Class USPS ended up being a little over $2 as I expected, so I'm asking $3.50 each and $2.50 shipping (also covers the cost of the padded envelope and a small fraction of the PayPal fee.

So $6 for one, $9.50 for two. $13 for three. I don't think I could fit more than three in an envelope.

John Michaels

The yaw mounts work great. Very smooth and no slop, thanks for taking the time to sand them down and get them working great. Thanks again, John

IMG_3314.JPG

Last edited:

RoyBro

Mentor
Did you put them on RCG yet? Might help you out a little getting rid of them.

I hadn't even thought of RCGroups or any other forum. I don't frequent much other than the flitetest forum. I'll have to give it a try.

Thanks for the suggestion.

RoyBro

Mentor
The yaw mounts work great. Very smooth and no slop, thanks for taking the time to sand them down and get them working great. Thanks again, John

View attachment 14122

John,

I love the color of the copter. Of course, I am partial to orange, being a Denver Broncos former season ticket holder. I just can't get to many games living in Montana. ;)

RoyBro

Mentor
Did you put them on RCG yet? Might help you out a little getting rid of them.

Wow,

Hotcakes couldn't have gone faster. They are all gone now. I even had to turn away three people that wanted 2 or 3 each.

FliteTest: Are you listening? Fire up your 3D Printer and get busy.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
I guess we're all too cheap over here. We don't have the big budgets those "other" guys are blessed with!