Tricopter

Nic

The specs of the HK NX-4008-620kv Brushless Quadcopter Motor says that the suggested ESC is a 30A, but will it be compatible and working good if I put a 18A ESC? If yes, why?

teflyer

Full Circle
It probably will still work, but perhaps not to its full potential. The amount of current through the motor determines how fast the motor is spinning. One thing that puzzles me is that the motor has a rated Watt of 180W which means with a 3s, the amount of amps it takes is 16.2 A. However, I believe that they reccoment a 30A ESC because the 30A ESC can stand a 4s battery. A 18A ESC cannot, only 2s to 3s.

Nic

What does the difference in the discharge spec of the : Turnigy nano-tech 2200mah 3S 45~90C Lipo Pack, and the : Turnigy 2200mAh 3S 25C Lipo Pack mean?

Brian fred carr

Site Moderator
Mentor
I have the mk2 parkjet and have launched 5 times....... 2 successful and man does that thing fly i mean
it is real quick...the other three launches have resulted in the jet being smashed to pieces less than 5
feet away.....and man do they break good

Nic

I want longer wire to my HK TURNIGY Plush 18amp Speed Controller. I have the Turnigy Pure-Silicone Wire 16AWG (1mtr) BLACK and RED. Can I cut half of the speed controller red and black wire and solder my extension wire, or should I cut all the black and red wire of the speed controller and solder my extension wire to the electronic board of the speed controller?

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
I want longer wire to my HK TURNIGY Plush 18amp Speed Controller. I have the Turnigy Pure-Silicone Wire 16AWG (1mtr) BLACK and RED. Can I cut half of the speed controller red and black wire and solder my extension wire, or should I cut all the black and red wire of the speed controller and solder my extension wire to the electronic board of the speed controller?

If you want to extend the wires, then extend the motor wires.

Why? It has been determined that long power wires can kill ESC's over time.

Source: http://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42035

glydr

How many letters do we ge

A very short extension could be possibly ok (i.e. you have the ESCs mounted as close to the centreplates as possible) and connecting at the wire rather than the ESC board is acceptable. If you are pretty new with a soldering iron (or just plain bad at it) I'd suggest soldering at the wire to reduce the chance of damaging the board.

I chose to solder the thicker wire when lengthening the motor cables right on the board as I was concerned with power drop over the length of the cable and wanted to give it as much wide diameter cable as possible. Note that the solder that they used in the factory melts at a higher temperature than the regular solder that I bought from a local electronics store.

G

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Is balsa Wood too soft for the arms of a tricopter?

For 60 cm arms, yes. I bought a bag of 10 - I picked the three most rigid ones, and after some time opening and folding the frame, one of the sticks broke at the axis screw. Maybe around 30-40 cm arms it will get better with the rigidity, but not with the breakability problem.

I also found that zip-ties sink into the wood quite harshly.

In a month or so I'll have most parts to start building my tricopter - so then I'll be able to test the range of booms I have gotten. These include:

3/4" (actually 5/8") square aluminum tube
13 x 13 mm cheap wood of some kind
10 x 10 mm laurel (?) wood, not well cut, width varies badly
Maybe I'll try eucalyptus booms!

I've heard that balsa and carbon or Aluminium (U- or L-shape) reinforcement makes for stiff arms!

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
For a 17 inch arm is it okay with the balsa?

That depends - how much power does your copter have?

For the standard RCExplorer tricopter it's 24 inch arms - and it has around 3000g (6.6 lbs) of total power - which makes for 750 grams of pull on each boom. The following setup is at 17", with a 2200mAh 25C LiPo - Around only 200 - 250 grams, and the boom bends too much.

IMG_2066.jpg

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Would basswood be more efficient?

I have no experience with basswood. If it is stiff enough it can be used.

How stiff, you may wonder. In my opinion, a 1x1x60 cm piece, with 50 cm over a table edge, shouldn't flex more than 1 cm with a 2200mAh battery on the tip, like shown above.

If the booms are too flexible, they can break if you push the throttle, or you'll have a bouncy platform.

Nic

Do anyboby know how to drill a straight 4mm hole on the GWS prop, to fit on the dt-750 motor, using just a normal hand drill?

Shadow74

Multi-rotor madman
Do anyboby know how to drill a straight 4mm hole on the GWS prop, to fit on the dt-750 motor, using just a normal hand drill?

punch a hole through it with your hand drill, then just make sure that you balance the prop REALLY well afterwards.....in theory it should be fine.

remember, i said "in theory"

:)

Eric

Nic

haha yeah...I was thinking about designing something that can support my hand drill at a perfect 90°...but if your solution makes no difference at all...lets go the easy way!!

Shadow74

Multi-rotor madman
haha yeah...I was thinking about designing something that can support my hand drill at a perfect 90°...but if your solution makes no difference at all...lets go the easy way!!

I would do the best I could to keep it as close to 90 degrees as possible.....just by eyeballing it. Then balance. ;-)