Crawford Bros. Aeroplanes

Legendary member
IMG_20191218_144618.jpg
IMG_20191218_144703.jpg

Control surfaces for the middle wing are hooked up. I used RG60 welding rod for control rods because I had some extra, it doesn't bend like the piano wire does. Use sparingly because it is expensive, I just used scraps left over from a another project that were too short to weld with. The linkages between the wings will be mounted on spare servo horns embedded in each aileron, but I'm not sure what to make the linkage out of because I'm out of RG60.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
View attachment 151380 View attachment 151379
Control surfaces for the middle wing are hooked up. I used RG60 welding rod for control rods because I had some extra, it doesn't bend like the piano wire does. Use sparingly because it is expensive, I just used scraps left over from a another project that were too short to weld with. The linkages between the wings will be mounted on spare servo horns embedded in each aileron, but I'm not sure what to make the linkage out of because I'm out of RG60.
You know where to find good wire for free, you know landscaping marker flags, sometimes they are used to mark utilities, (don't steal those ones lol) but that wire is perfect. I salvage those all the time, clean them up and you get a couple feet of wire per flag

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
You know where to find good wire for free, you know landscaping marker flags, sometimes they are used to mark utilities, (don't steal those ones lol) but that wire is perfect. I salvage those all the time, clean them up and you get a couple feet of wire per flag
That, and paper clips for short distances. I use paper clips a lot for the ailerons on my planes because the servo is usually really close to the surface.

Legendary member
That, and paper clips for short distances. I use paper clips a lot for the ailerons on my planes because the servo is usually really close to the surface.
I use paper clips all the time too, I used them on a glider I built a while back. I'll try them just to see, but I think they're a little short. Each aileron is about 4" or 5" apart.

That's actually brilliant, I'll definitely use that sometime!

mayan

Legendary member
View attachment 151380 View attachment 151379
I like the servo arm as control horns, great idea.

Melt the Glue stick on any hot metal surface, then you can use a stick or whatever to place it...
Did that on field repairs in the past but found it hard to apply.

Legendary member
I like the servo arm as control horns, great idea.

Did that on field repairs in the past but found it hard to apply.
I got the idea from an SE5a someone made on here a while back, I can't seem to find it again though and I don't remember who made it.

Unfortunately I might have to maiden after the holiday since I have a few more struts I forgot to do and I have to put everything away before we have family over. Plus I'm really nervous about this one for some reason, especially since landing it on the bottom wing will be pretty weird. Hopefully it doesn't break up.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I got the idea from an SE5a someone made on here a while back, I can't seem to find it again though and I don't remember who made it.

Unfortunately I might have to maiden after the holiday since I have a few more struts I forgot to do and I have to put everything away before we have family over. Plus I'm really nervous about this one for some reason, especially since landing it on the bottom wing will be pretty weird. Hopefully it doesn't break up.
Dude full back/up elevator and it will glide in level and slow. Might be a little top heavy and nose over but it wont be damaged at all. Should land like a cottonball