Trouble Binding XM Receiver to Q X7

Hello everyone, I'm having trouble binding my Taranis Q X7 with an XM receiver. I followed what I thought was the proper sequence. Transmitter on, then found an open receiver space, presses [Bnd], and heard the chirps coming from the transmitter. Then I held down the bind button on the receiver and plugged in the battery. I saw the solid green light with flashing red, and so I unplugged it, and took the transmitter out of bind mode, and turned it off. Now, when I turn on the transmitter and plug in the battery, I get a solid red light on the receiver, and no green light. If just the quad is on and not the transmitter, I get a blinking red light, and no green light. Any ideas for what to do, or what could be wrong?
Thanks everyone!
(WittyFlightJokeHere)

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I had a problem with being too close and overpowering the signal on mine - moved about 3-4 feet away during the bind sequence and it's all fine now. When I'm flying that Tiny Whoop too close to me I get signal warnings too - but it's all happy from arms length away to out of sight :)

pressalltheknobs

Posted a thousand or more times
odd.

I have heard people having problems getting XM RXs to bind. I don't have one but...you might try...

Putting the XM in bind mode first with the TX off ...probably will see solid green and solid red on the RX

Then switch on the TX to the model you want and put it in [BIND].

The RX lights probably go solid green and flashing red.

Leave the TX in [BIND] mode and cycle the RX power off and on. Probably the RX will get no green and flashing red.

Cycle the TX power off and back on. Once the model boots up the RX should bind and will probably show a dim green and no red.

I'm thinking that if you have the TX in [BIND] first and then press the FS button on the RX...then the RX may not be properly initialized to bind correctly...or the button may bounce and/or make contact at wrong time. If it is already in bind mode when the TX is turned on it then there are less variables preventing it from working...but whatever the theory it's worth a try.

MrNams

I have Radio Transmitter "FrSky Taranis Q X7 Access 2.4GHz 24 CH Mode2 Transmitter with R9M 2019 Long Range Module" and receiver "FrSky R9 SX ACCESS OTA 6/16CH PWM/SBUS Long Range Enhanced RC Receiver Support S.Port/F.Port for RC Drone - 915MHZ"
I am not able to bind them, I could register Module successfully, but when I click on Receiver1 Bind, then it shows message "Waiting for RX..", and this messages goes forever, I tried powering off and on Receiver, powering on receiver with bind button pressed, nothing helped me.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I have Radio Transmitter "FrSky Taranis Q X7 Access 2.4GHz 24 CH Mode2 Transmitter with R9M 2019 Long Range Module" and receiver "FrSky R9 SX ACCESS OTA 6/16CH PWM/SBUS Long Range Enhanced RC Receiver Support S.Port/F.Port for RC Drone - 915MHZ"
I am not able to bind them, I could register Module successfully, but when I click on Receiver1 Bind, then it shows message "Waiting for RX..", and this messages goes forever, I tried powering off and on Receiver, powering on receiver with bind button pressed, nothing helped me.

You are way too close to the TX mate. 900mhz is a long wavelength compared to 2.4ghz. You may have to have 10ft (3m) or more separation to bind. Specially if you have tx set on a high power.

MrNams

You are way too close to the TX mate. 900mhz is a long wavelength compared to 2.4ghz. You may have to have 10ft (3m) or more separation to bind. Specially if you have tx set on a high power.
No luck, i tried it from 30ft, its frustrating, can any one share meanings of various combinations of colors from rx

MrNams

I am very pleased and happy to share solution I found for FrSky R9 SX being not binding with FrSky R9M 2019.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Make sure you are using compatible firmware versions between the TX and RX. There were a few firmware versions FrSky put out that absolutely ticked their long loyal followers off due to lack of testing/buggyness, and others that they pushed to basically to make non FrSky modules not work so great. The R9 modules in particular do not work and play well if the firmware versions are not identical between the R9M and the RX.

MrNams

Make sure you are using compatible firmware versions between the TX and RX. There were a few firmware versions FrSky put out that absolutely ticked their long loyal followers off due to lack of testing/buggyness, and others that they pushed to basically to make non FrSky modules not work so great. The R9 modules in particular do not work and play well if the firmware versions are not identical between the R9M and the RX.
Yes, it was not working even after flashing same and latest firmware