Trouble with roll/pitch rates

ripley

My friend and I have an almost identical quad setup with identical PIDs and rates however his rolls and flips are a lot faster than mine, it feels like his flips/rolls are on steroids and mine are in slow motion. I have to do mine at altitude otherwise I risk crashing whilst he can flip very close to the ground. The main difference is that he is using a flysky radio and I use a spektrum DX6.

Could the issue be something in my spektrum radio settings slowing my rolls/flips or do I need to up my numbers in cleanflight?

My setup:
  • Omnibus F3
  • Emax 2400KV red bottoms
  • Alien 5 inch frame
  • 30A Speedix escs running multishot
  • Spektrum sat receiver
  • Spektrum DX6 radio

I have attached a screengrab of my PIDs:

19401157_1195001127294236_1197025423_o.png

Thanks in advance!

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
Have you adjusted the servo travel/endpoints in your transmitter? With that much expo, if the FC isn't seeing 1000-2000 you will never get the full rates out of it.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I think Sean is on the right track. Your pitch and roll rates are similar to what I use in all my quads and it flips crazy fast. I run .17 expos though and have had then as high as .20 but the only time I have ever had expos set that high was when I was setting the quads up and used radio expos instead of board expos.

Speaking of radio expos.. you don't have expos set in your radio as well as that high in the FC do you?

ripley

I think Sean is on the right track. Your pitch and roll rates are similar to what I use in all my quads and it flips crazy fast. I run .17 expos though and have had then as high as .20 but the only time I have ever had expos set that high was when I was setting the quads up and used radio expos instead of board expos.

Speaking of radio expos.. you don't have expos set in your radio as well as that high in the FC do you?

I don't have any expo set up on my radio other than the defaults.

I think it may be my radio endpoints. How do I change them? Or should I up my RC rate?

These are the values i'm getting:
Throttle: 1057 - 1841
Roll: 1159 - 1840
Pitch: 1125 - 1874
Yaw: 1091 - 1908

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
That's definitely your problem. In your transmitter settings look for servo travel adjustment, and set the throttle, yaw, roll and pitch so that at bottom or left stick you are as close to 1000 as possible, and at the high or full right you are at 2000.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Digital subtrim as well so you center everything at 1500 so you do not inject any drift issues. When setting the end points or travel adjustments depending what your particular radio uses I usually drop the high est to below 2000 then bring it back up. A lot of radios will default at like 2035 ish at 100% travel but the FC only reads to 2000. That will lessen the accuracy and resolution.

If you have a Taranis or a radio that will allow it, deactivate the radio trim switches by your sticks so you do not accidentally mess up all your settings by hitting them or even out of habit using them once you get it all set up.