Trying to break into the hobby with my tricopter build, would love advice!

kah00na

If you want to get a "stupid easy" charger, I'd recommend the Hobbyking DC-4S Balance Charger & Cell Checker 30w 2s~4s. It charges 2S, 3S, and 4S batteries. I liked it so well, I bought a second so I can charge two batteries at the same time. I say "stupid easy" because there are no settings on it. You just plug in your battery and it charges through the balance port (small white plastic piece). It doesn't come with a power cord, but I used an old one off an external harddrive and it works fine. The power cord just has to output 12v and 1 or more amps. I was crazy one time and took one minute stats on my 3S battery and recorded them to see how fast the charger was actually charging. The attached picture shows the results. I'd imagine if you were charging a battery with 5000 mAh or larger, it would take a long time, but for 2500 mAh and lower, it is fine.
HobbyKing DC-4S charge Rate 2100mAh 3S.JPG

Timebom

Mine has shipped too. very excited! just think I am going to pop a blood vessel deciding on motors. lol have everything else figured out though, just trying to find the most efficient motors for the longest run times for filming... Have been flying the snot out of my SQ1-vcam with a hand full off batteries from HK. I bought it to see if I was interested enough to really invest in a serious multi rotor. Answer is= I have been selling my airsoft arsenal to fund this sucker and my glider has gotten dusty while the sq1's white blades are green from all the lawn mowing. lol yes, i am excited.