Trying to Choose a Transmitter

Hello there,

I'm looking at purchasing my first transmitter, but the variety is a bit daunting! Can someone make a recommendation?

Constraints:
- I'm on a budget. Let's say no more than $150, but less would be great.
- I don't want to run out of channels as I progress. It seems that there wouldn't be a lot that's more aggravating than that! :)

I'm planning to fly mostly DIY fixed wings and multirotors (mainly on the smaller size) and maybe someday expanding into AP.

I was looking at the Taranis qx7, I think I read it's not compatible with Whoop-sized aircraft. Something about DSM2 vs Flysky. Can someone explain about that?

Thank you!

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
Out of the box, FrSky isn't compatible with the Blade Inductrix, which is what the whoop is based on. There are 2 ways around this. First is to get a different FC/Rx combo compatible with FrSky, and second is to get an external module for the Taranis that does DSMX. Personally, I'd avoid the whoop altogether and build a micro brushless.

Taranis is an excellent radio, you'll never outgrow it. There is a fairly steep learning curve though, so be prepared to watch and read many tutorials as you feel your way through the setup.

Montiey

Master Tinkerer
I would buy a taranis. You can mod the heck outa that thing- Gimbal upgrades, switches, screens, antennas, you name it.

My radio is a DX9. The UI is great, but I'd have no problem switching to FrSky. The learning curve doesn't bother me, and having 20+ channels out of the box, and simply well if not better maintained ecosystem is all worth it. The only thing holding me back is loosing my precious DSMX compatibility. I'd have to use a module, but that also means quite likely limiting myself to 6 channels. Not like I need them all, but I have a few receivers that do more than 6.

Long term, I think most folks will be happier with a the FrSky ecosystem. For multirotors especially. Receivers are cheaper, the RF is legendary(er).

Great, thanks for the advise! So, it looks like the Taranis will be my best bet. Anyone against? Speak now, or forever hold your peace... :)

ItMightFly

I don't know about FrSky, or FlySky, whatever its called. I have been flying Spektrum DSMX for a long time. I am kinda bias just because I have never flown any other brand. I have a lot of trust in Spektrum, and loosing DSMX, and settling for DSM2 is not a good idea, especially if you plan on going to FliteFest. Yes, it is expensive but its worth it, every penny, at least in my understanding. I fly my quad on Spektrum, my brother has a Whoop, and it fly's on Spektrum. I have had a DX6i for the longest time (at least 5 years), and although few channels, gets the job done. Other than dropping it, and breaking a switch, it has held up pretty nicely! My dad has the DX7s, brother flies with the new DX6, all do a great job with no problems.
Anyways, I think i'm just rambling on, please correct me on anything I said that was incorrect. I know i'm bias, but in my bias opinion, I think you should go for Spektrum!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Hrrmmm Taranis and no know issues.. open tx.. never out grow..

Spectrum.. KNOWN issues with certain set ups and uses.. not open tx...locked into what ever the radio is capable of at the moment of purchase... more expensive per channel. Limited adaptability.

Oh, oops! I've been saying FlySky when I meant FrSky. Little change makes a difference. :)

ItMightFly, thanks for your 2 cents. Just curious, why do you say Spektum is especially important for FliteTest? Does it perform better with a lot of competing signals?

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
+1 for FrSky and Open TX on a QX7 or X9D Taranis +. Rough learning curve but you never outgrow it.

EDIT: thanks Sean...

Last edited:

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
Oh, oops! I've been saying FlySky when I meant FrSky. Little change makes a difference. :)

ItMightFly, thanks for your 2 cents. Just curious, why do you say Spektum is especially important for FliteTest? Does it perform better with a lot of competing signals?

He's comparing DSM2 with DSMX, the old and new Spektrum protocols.

Montiey

Master Tinkerer
Is the FrSky protocol known to have problems with interference? I know it's a bit more reliable than good ol' team failsafe here, but I don't know if DSMX/2 radios make it especially angry. Maybe someone can shed some light on the RF quality situation here?

TazRC

Obsession, not hobby

I was looking at the Taranis qx7, I think I read it's not compatible with Whoop-sized aircraft. Something about DSM2 vs Flysky. Can someone explain about that?

Thank you!

Hi PenguinWings,

The only "tiny whoop" or micro quads that you really need to be concerned with are bind-n-fly (BNF) models because they use a specific protocol receiver. And really not even then, because most folks use a module of the same protocol in other brand transmitters. Taranis is FrSky. There are plenty of good FrSky BNF micro quads available.

Personally, I've never had any issues with Spektrum DX6i, DX8 G1, DX18 G1 or Devo 10 transmitters and have used them for fixed wing, heli and multirotor. I know Spektrum has great support for transmitters in the US if needed. I'm not biased toward any brand. I've had Futaba in the past and still have an old FM Airtronics for a gas car.

What I've read mostly about FrSky vs Spektrum is the operability of Spektrum's telemetry has had some issues and cost can be considerably more, as well as limited receivers, currently. I personally don't fly my quads far enough or in situations that warrant telemetry and is probably the reason why I never explored FrSky. I know many folks that have switched from Spektrum to FrSky for this very reason.

Either way, there's always a market for any protocol radio gear so if you start with one and find out later that you want to switch, you can always sell or pass down what you have.

Hope that was helpful.

French

Construire Voler S'écraser Répéter
I'll pile on to the FrSky Q X7 bandwagon. I love mine. Frsky receivers are great and very reasonably priced. There are aftermarket tiny whoop boards that have FrSky protocol receivers built in.

ItMightFly

Have fun with your Taranis! If all goes well, I might get one myself! Hope to here how things go. I would recommend using DSMX, at FliteFest there are so many signals sent on 2.4 that interference's are bound to happen (get the pun). DSMX (from my understanding) bounces between channels to keep from interfering. DSM2 (from my understanding, please correct me) does not bounce between channels. With more than 50 planes running on 2.4, DSM2 is bound to be interfered with (once again, a binding pun). So, if the Taranis works, try for the DSMX module. Thanks for putting up with me!

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
DSMX (from my understanding) bounces between channels to keep from interfering. DSM2 (from my understanding, please correct me) does not bounce between channels.

All 2.4g RC protocols are spread spectrum, constantly switching channels. This is what allows many pilots to be in the air at once without 'shooting down' (taking control) of another aircraft. Different companies use different protocols, which is why they are incompatible. The beauty of FrSky is that it uses the entire 2.4g band, reducing the chances of interference.