Help! Trying to pick an ESC

Land Shark

I'm currently working on a project and need a new ESC. I'm using the motor from the FT Power Pack C, and am using the ESC from the Power Pack A. I don't want to put that much stress on my ESC and was looking for other options. I also want one that fits my two cell battery that has an XR-30 connector. The bullet connector sizes don't matter, I'm more concerned with my battery connector size. All help is welcomed and I thank yall for all the help in advance.

Arcfyre

Elite member
You may be better off in the long run if you learn how to solder connections on ESCs and batteries yourself. It makes shopping for components much easier if you aren't limited to the type of battery connection. In the long run it will also be cheaper.

Arcfyre

Elite member
Thanks for the advice! and soldering tips specific to batteries and/or ESC's?

It's pretty straightforward, honestly. The biggest thing is don't cut both connector wires off your battery at the same time. Make one cut at a time to avoid short circuting and destroying your battery.

Kendalf

It's pretty straightforward, honestly. The biggest thing is don't cut both connector wires off your battery at the same time. Make one cut at a time to avoid short circuting and destroying your battery.
Learned that the hard way! Though luckily the battery wasn't damaged.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I agree with @Arcfyre, soldering is an essential skill. Controlling the heat is everything. Smaller items take a lower heat setting, larger items like battery connectors take high heat. A temp controlled solder station is worth the money. I go mine foe $60-70, which included a hot air rework station

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
If I recall, the A pack comes with a 20amp ESC and C comes with a 30 or 35amp ESC. Regardless of just hooking it up, you've got to be careful you don't burn out that 20amp ESC with a C pack motor.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I'm currently working on a project and need a new ESC. I'm using the motor from the FT Power Pack C, and am using the ESC from the Power Pack A. I don't want to put that much stress on my ESC and was looking for other options. I also want one that fits my two cell battery that has an XR-30 connector. The bullet connector sizes don't matter, I'm more concerned with my battery connector size. All help is welcomed and I thank yall for all the help in advance.
Just buy a standard ESC with an XT60 fitted and then buy or make an adapter to suit the battery and the ESC, (XT60), connector. Then you can use the adapter with your current battery and later purchase any of the larger number of replacement batteries that come with an XT60 already fitted, when it comes time to replace your current battery!

Have fun!

Land Shark

If I recall, the A pack comes with a 20amp ESC and C comes with a 30 or 35amp ESC. Regardless of just hooking it up, you've got to be careful you don't burn out that 20amp ESC with a C pack motor.
Yes, and that was what I was trying to avoid is burning it out. As far as soldering does, I'm pretty new and really haven't used one before. The one that I have sadly isn't temp. controllable. As far as ESC's go, any recommendations for the motor of my size. Also, IDK if it would just be easier to get a new ESC and battery. I would do that, but I didn't know if there was a better option for my money.

Wildthing

Legendary member
As you get into this hobby soldering will become second nature. Loads of motors, esc's and such don't come with ends or possibly have the wrong ends. I have two soldering irons, a 80 watt which you need when you want to solder things like new XT60 ends onto a new esc or change the end on a battery, then I have a 30 watt one for small wires such as servo leads that accidently get cut, sometimes by your own razor blade. :D . Also you change up a design and you need to extend the motor wires, soldering skills are a must and you will be glad you learn it. Neither irons I have got temp control .

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Honestly, I would probably try and get a bigger ESC and battery. Most XT-30 connector batteries are 2S batteries, and aren't meant for them to crank out the juice that the C pack motor would require. There's a good chance you might either damage the battery with the drain that motor requires or damage the ESC.

Wildthing

Legendary member
I use XT60 ends as an example because that is what I mainly have or converted everything to. If you are by chance soldering new ends onto a ESC put both the male and female ends together first, the plastic can get somewhat flexible or soft with the heat, the two ends together keep your bullet connectors inline. Let cool before pulling apart.

Headbang

Master member
C pack motor on 3s with a 10x4.5 prop pulls 22-24amps at full throttle. New esc would be best. Or prop down and use an amp meter to figure out what prop is best under 20amps.

FDS

Elite member
I run everything on XT60, that way you don’t need adapters etc and charging is simple.
80w is a huge iron for the type of work you are going to do, I have a 25w Antex and that’s been more than enough. An 80w will easily melt the plug on an XT60 if you hold it in place too long. If it’s a variable temp iron then turn it down a bit. I wouldn’t personally use anything over 40w for planes and quads stuff.
I would always buy a bigger ESC too, they are under $15 and having more current capacity than you need is better than not enough.

sprzout

Mentor
@Wildthing I believe that I have an 80 watt, and will try to use that. Ok, @sprzout I probably do need a new battery, so would you suggest a 3 or 4 cell?

For the 30A ESC, don't go any larger than a 3 cell. Those Emax 2215 motors, combined with a 30A ESC, do just fine with a 3S 2200 mAh battery. You can go to a bigger battery for longer flight times, but remember that it adds weight, and your additional flying time might be negligible for the tradeoff due to the weight of the battery. 4S batteries would potentially fry the 30A ESC and let the "magic blue smoke" out. :)

Headbang

Master member
4S works, just need a prop no bigger then a 9x4.5

Amp draw is 28amps with that combo at full throttle.

I have done a lot of amp draw testing with c pack motors.

Reactions: FDS

Land Shark

Ok, turns out the soldering iron is a 25w so that's good news. A lot of yall are talking about prop size, and I think it would probably help to know that I'm not currently building a plane. So weight really isn't a problem for me. Even though I'm not building a plane I am using the same parts that you could use for a plane. I knew yall would be the best place to go for questions are these parts. I'm looking at the EMAX BLHeli Series 30A ESC (XT-60) if that looks alright to yall. I'm very sorry if it sounds like I don't know what I'm talking about I'm new to the hobby and decently young. @Wilfep thanks for the tip of keeping the ends together when soldering, I'll keep that in mind. It says 3 cell battery so I may also get an E-flite 3S LiPo Battery 30C since I currently working off a 2 cell. Thanks for all the help so far!

Last edited:

sprzout

Mentor
Ok, turns out the soldering iron is a 25w so that's good news. A lot of yall are talking about prop size, and I think it would probably help to know that I'm not currently building a plane. So weight really isn't a problem for me. Even though I'm not building a plane I am using the same parts that you could use for a plane. I knew yall would be the best place to go for questions are these parts. I'm looking at the EMAX BLHeli Series 30A ESC (XT-60) if that looks alright to yall. I'm very sorry if it sounds like I don't know what I'm talking about I'm new to the hobby and decently young. @Wilfep thanks for the tip of keeping the ends together when soldering, I'll keep that in mind. It says 3 cell battery so I may also get an E-flite 3S LiPo Battery 30C since I currently working off a 2 cell. Thanks for all the help so far!

Ok, I'm confused as to what you're using the equipment for now...If you're going to run it as a car or truck motor, or a boat motor, you're going to have different resistances on the equipment, and may actually need something else. What are you using this for?

Land Shark

I'm making an RC car. Sorry for the confusion, I'm new to this. If I'm in the wrong place with the wrong questions and you would suggest another site or maybe YouTube video, that would be great. This is the place that I know I would get helpful and supportive people willing to help