Help! Trying to pick an ESC

evranch

Propeller drive motors are far from ideal for cars, the biggest problem being that they are rated for their current while attached to a big cooling fan. Take away the airflow, and you will have to de-rate them a lot or they will cook up quickly. The others being that they are not designed for any side thrust loads, have to be mounted from one end, and the fact that the outside spins is really not great inside a vehicle.

Try it out if you want to, it will probably look pretty neat if you get it working, but it might be better just to buy an inrunner car motor unless this is a specific design you are going for.

Reactions: FDS

Wildthing

Legendary member
If you are running a gear box more then likely the amp draw will be less but then depending on the tire diameter it could be more!!! I know that didn't help but it all will make a difference in what you require. Also it you want to back up , a lot of esc's do not have a reverse .

skymaster

Elite member
If I recall, the A pack comes with a 20amp ESC and C comes with a 30 or 35amp ESC. Regardless of just hooking it up, you've got to be careful you don't burn out that 20amp ESC with a C pack motor.
actually i just took a look at the power pack A and it comes with a 12a esc. and they also gooffed on the power pack C (twin engines). the pictures show 2 20amp esc, and the includes part says 2 30amp esc.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
actually i just took a look at the power pack A and it comes with a 12a esc. and they also gooffed on the power pack C (twin engines). the pictures show 2 20amp esc, and the includes part says 2 30amp esc.
You're right. I just went and looked at my TT and it is indeed a 12 amp. Good catch. (y)

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor

The power pack C is what I got for my Sea Duck; it DOES come with two 30A ESCs, so don't go by the pics. LOL

Land Shark

The only reason I was originally using a plane motor for a car was that that's what I had at the time and I didny want to have to spend money on a new motor if I didn't have to. So, if it comes down to it I will get a new motor bit didn't want to if I didn't have to.

FDS

Elite member
It’s always better with motors to use the right one for the right job. What usually happens if you bodge it and hope is you end up with two smoked motors instead of one or one smoked motor and burnt electronics.