Trying to undrrstand FPV and telemetry

BeginnerSwede

Hello! Recently got into ghe hobby by buying an E-flite Apprentice w DX6, works great, but now awaits spare parts (note to self: do not attempt inverted flight on low altitude on day 2). Anyway, I am thinking of two additions for my Apprentice:
1. Telemetry in my radio, in order of priority: Altitude, mAh consumed, ground speed and GPS location
2. Simple FPV so I can impress my friend and also get another perspective on the flight. Something simple, cant afford goggles so latop or playback on iPhone (is that possible? Not iPhone as a camera). Something that will give me reasonably interference free video. Preferrably powered of main 3S stock battery. Bonus if telemetry is in the camera, maybe I would lite that more than having telemetry on my DX6.

I am aware of the module TM1000 which will give me mAh usef but no altitude or GPS. I am thinking that if I power FPV of stock battery, I really need mAh consumed to avoid over discharge. I live in Sweden so are there kuts legal here?

Thoughts/suggestions?

BeginnerSwede

Ok thanks for the tip! Since the camera you suggested has a/v out, I ghink it would be possible to hook it up to a video transmitter and actually use it as an fpv camera. Perhaps there will be some latency but that might be ok for me. Afaik, the FPV transmitter/reciever is just like a wireless A/V extension coord. Flite test said immersion rc is worth looking into so Ill do that.

BeginnerSwede

FPV adds up to be quite expensive. From what I can understand so far, you need the following components for complete FPV system:
1. Onboard camera (eg. firefly Q6), camera is hooked up via analog video out to transmitter (also called VTX)
2. Video transmitter (eg the ImmersionRC 5.8Ghz Audio/Video Transmitter 600mW)
2.1 onboard camera and VTX needs power, possibly use existing onboard battery but that would make me a bit unsure regarding flight time changes. Another solution is separate battery.
3. Video reciever with analog video out
4. Monitor hooked up to analog video out

If I would go with immersion (FatShark 5.8 technology) I could get FatShark goggles and, then parts 3 and 4 are in the goggles right?
So far I havent found any camera with built in VTXm which I find a little bit odd.

OSD can be bought separately and hokked up "in series" with the VTX so telemetry is added to the video stream, too expensive for me right now.

What I want is reasonable quality and latency. I think monitor on tripod is best for me right now since goggles can only be viewed by myself.

BeginnerSwede

Price example:
1. Hawkeye firefly Q6 ca: 60€ (has internal battery)
2. ImmersionRC 5.8Ghz 600mW ca: 50€ (powered using onboard 3S LIPO)
3. ImmersionRC UNO5800 ca: 60€ (needs power also 6-13V, separate LIPO?)
4. Around 60-80€

There are also monitors with build in recievers, maybe that will be cheaper but then I would have to find one that is compatible with the frequency/channel of the VTX of course.

Components above adds up to around 250€, but then quality should be pretty good.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Before jumping in on that high powered VTX. I would check regulations where you live mate. 25mw seems to be the European acceptable limit but I am not sure under what conditions you would have to be to use higher power gear.

I can make a suggestion for the Lumenier TX5GA transmitter that I just got and love so far. It has multiple power settings of 25mw 200mw (btw this is max power for any organized racing) and 600mw. I have been flying strictly on the 25mw setting so far as it is already cleaner and far more stable then any 200mw TX I have used to date. I paired mine with the Aomway antennas and the system rocks.

Most mointors that come with built in recievers come with 32 channels which includes the 8 immersion ones, the 40 channel ones cover race band usually. I started with the Boscam 5806 monitor and still have it so others can watch while I fly using the goggles.

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
If you're looking for all in one camera, DVR, vtx units, they are starting to exist but compromise on features and quality to keep prices reasonable:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=97444

They just aren't popular because people might want more flexibility or the best of each component.

There are other smaller units too that also transmit at legal power ranges if you are not an amateur radio operator.

I recommend searching for and viewing ibcrazy's fpv for beginners video series:

How to be successful in FPV by Alex Greve (IBCrazy): http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLqKtcta0FXaOLAO_6hcriVPSELuL6Tr2U