TTP-1: Single sheet Combat wing

Captain Video

E688550F-BC0D-4798-B1C4-7CD8BCBD0E8B.jpeg Placed the electronics and checked the CG. Servos and the flaps today. If time permits, edge rounding.

arovillard

View attachment 127975 Placed the electronics and checked the CG. Servos and the flaps today. If time permits, edge rounding.
Looks really promising, my advice would be for you to install the motor mount from below so the motor stands closer to the middle of the wing. You would just need to do the same but from the bottom.
Also, since you have 1" of foam, see where the battery would go to make the CG and maybe cut a bay for the battery 1/2" deep. this will protect the battery better. Maybe the same for the servos.

Great job!

Piotrsko

Master member
Just make the leading edge look round. What you're trying to avoid is a sudden seperation across the top at higher AOA that causes the flaperons to stop controlling airflow because the flat top went all turbulent. (They stalled) Nose pitches down, you add more up, rinse, repeat, pile of foam particles on ground. However, if this is just throwing air downward, disregard because you are in an entirely different flight mode.

Captain Video

Arovillard, what you suggest makes sense. I will mount the motor more central to the wing. We have three mini arrows and I should have taken a cue from their design. Piotrsko, do you think forming a dihedral for the wing shape better than just rounding the leading edge?

Piotrsko

Master member
Arovillard, what you suggest makes sense. I will mount the motor more central to the wing. We have three mini arrows and I should have taken a cue from their design. Piotrsko, do you think forming a dihedral for the wing shape better than just rounding the leading edge?
Not sure of your use of "diehedral" regarding LE. What you are attempting is less of a draggy flat wall. Built a 1/2" thick stand really far off foamboard F104 on the glider flight site with duct tape & 5 min epoxy. It flew but ony at about 15 mph. We ended up using it as a target for combat

Last edited:

arovillard

Using the FT Mini Arrow wing as an example of how the wing should be shaped. Flat on the bottom rounded over the top. View attachment 128065
I think it would not hurt to try that, it's probably going to be easier than dealing with sand paper. it's safe to say that your wing will not be a speed monster, rather a tough cookie to knock out of the air, so your strategy should be bumping into other wings or let them try take you down and see them fail lol

arovillard

This is the most basic light "wing" i have built yet. Its called the Instigator, guy on rcgroups designed it as a super light 3-5mph slope soaring wing. But i think a couple guys have put a tiny motor on it. My AUW is 116g but i made a couple mistakes and had to reglue. No spar or anything just glued together.
View attachment 128074 View attachment 128075

View attachment 128076
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/sho...MPLE-New-33-Instigator-Flat-Foam-Build-Thread
cute

arovillard

I went for a quick lunch time session, I apologize for the lack of camera men and for not flying in frame. It was a ton of fun.

Piotrsko

Master member
2 strategies: be toughest plane, or be like inspector Clouseau and avoid all the others fighting in the room.

Flew nice.

arovillard

I was at FF a few years ago, I went into the combat with a bixler 2... I did really well but I was out batteried by some slow flyers that literally didn't take anybody down lol.

Piotrsko

Master member
I was at FF a few years ago, I went into the combat with a bixler 2... I did really well but I was out batteried by some slow flyers that literally didn't take anybody down lol.
Wanna borrow my 20 year old combat zagi 3C? Need a power system, but it flies through anything

arovillard

Currently installing inav on an f7 fc to my modified zagi xs. These wings never die!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0

awoehler

Finally got to maiden mine the other day. I definitely see more flights for this in the future.

Parts:
  • 1806 EMax motor (Power pack A)
  • 1600 mah 3S just to get it to balance. (This was the only battery that I had that would balance it correctly. I had to use a XT60 to XT30 adapter)
  • EMax 12amp Esc (Power Pack A)
  • 6x3 prop (Power Pack A)
  • FrSky X4R-SB - 3/16 Channel Receiver w/ SBUS
Modifications:
  • Used leftover scraps of foam to make a FT-swappable motor tray compatible with my motors from my Mini Guinea.
  • I put an carbon fiber rod x between the layers of instead of Popsicle sticks.
  • I had to cut out a notch for the propeller.
Planned changes.
Add FPV gear