Turbo Timber UMX - Receiver issue

Ret0xing

Hey all, looking for little advice. After a 35 plus year absence I got back into RC last year. I started gently with a Sport Cub UMX, enjoyed and over the winter moved up so to speak. I purchased a Turbo Timber UMX and Spektrum DX6e and put it away for warmer weather. This morning I started to check things out and am wondering if the receiver has an issue. As soon as I plugged the battery in, it went through it’s checks, lights came on, it played its little jingle but it also makes a constant warning type tone that won’t go away. I tried different batteries and binding to the dx6e but the sound persists. I imagine I’ll have to call Horizon on Monday but just wondering if any of you experienced the same? If so, is it something fixable here? Or, does it just sound pooched and calling Horizon’s the best option?

Many thanks in advance any thoughts appreciated.

RT

slowjo

Master member
Hey all, looking for little advice. After a 35 plus year absence I got back into RC last year. I started gently with a Sport Cub UMX, enjoyed and over the winter moved up so to speak. I purchased a Turbo Timber UMX and Spektrum DX6e and put it away for warmer weather. This morning I started to check things out and am wondering if the receiver has an issue. As soon as I plugged the battery in, it went through it’s checks, lights came on, it played its little jingle but it also makes a constant warning type tone that won’t go away. I tried different batteries and binding to the dx6e but the sound persists. I imagine I’ll have to call Horizon on Monday but just wondering if any of you experienced the same? If so, is it something fixable here? Or, does it just sound pooched and calling Horizon’s the best option?

RT
Welcome I would rebind and recalibrate throttle

Ret0xing

Does everything work despite the beep?
Thank you for the reply! The controls do work, just the annoying noise. I’m out and about at the moment but tomorrow I’ll take a short video and attach it here. It may give more insight into what I’m working with.
Thanks again!
RT

Bricks

Master member
Do a rebind as mentioned above then, try and move the throttle above 25% as some of the newer AS3X planes will not activate until this is done. Also there are some that have geofencing and will not activate until a good GPS fix is established.

Ret0xing

RT
So back at it today folks and have attached a couple of video links to give to a better idea of the perceived issue. I’ve tried all you suggest:
1) Re-bind to DX6e (have done this 3 times. Each time says successful).
2) I ensured I was 6 feet away during binding process.
3) I tried with different battery ensuring fresh charge.

I have copied the two short videos into my G drive so please have a look if you have a sec. Any and all thoughts appreciated!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eitVhYwGi8kOMSD03URt3dWjA9f05ZbP

https://drive.google.com/file/d/18ILTDjicDKqASfzwsV-IKII7yuURB3f3

RT

LitterBug

Techno Nut
That buzz sounds like your Motor ESC is not fully at 0 throttle, but is not high enough to spin the motor. You could try lowering the throttle endpoint/Trim. With the "Smart" controller, this could also keep it from arming if it doesn't think it is at 0 throttle. This jives with what is in the owners manual too.
Screenshot from 2021-04-11 14-32-02.png

Ret0xing

That buzz sounds like your Motor ESC is not fully at 0 throttle, but is not high enough to spin the motor. You could try lowering the throttle endpoint/Trim. With the "Smart" controller, this could also keep it from arming if it doesn't think it is at 0 throttle. This jives with what is in the owners manual too.
View attachment 197752
Many thanks for this! I’ll certainly give it a try.

Ret0xing

View attachment 197752
PS to my last reply. Another short video
https://click.email.vimeo.com/u/?qs...aed859a52b8de3251f27a6915337d0c3f530fff2db1f9

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Those other buzzes are typical of the servos on the UMX planes, especially in leveling modes. Servos under a slight bind will also make those noises. Those are the PWM pulses of the servo controller when it doesn't quite send enough torque to spin the motor. Usually when it is only trying to move a very small amount.

bisco

Elite member
In conclusion to all of this I believe this aircraft should be good to go. Accordingly I hope to take it out a little later this week when the weather and wind are more desirable. Thanks to all for your help!
i love my two umx tt's, i hope you have been enjoying yours as well!