Turnigy 9X 9Ch Transmitter to a Tri-Copter

Mike93442

Hi everyone. I’m just getting started in this hobby, I am just starting the build of a Tri-Copter. I just purchased (have not received it yet) a Turnigy 9X 9Ch Transmitter. I downloaded the manual and after reading through it, I can’t seam to make heads or tells out of it as for setting up a Tri-Copter.

Can anyone give me some basic start-up setting to work from?

Thanks, any help would be greatly welcomed.

I've just been through this too. When you get your 9x just play around with it and get familiar with the menu and settings. You'll probably have to reverse some channels and maybe adjust the dual rates and expos. Also you might have to assign one of the switches to a channel to allow the auto level function to be turned on and off if you're using the KK2 control board. Not sure about the other control boards.

What control board are you using?

I have my 9x set in heli mode because that allows you to use a throttle curve. This isn't available in the other modes.

Mike93442

I'm will be using the KK2 control board. I don't know what version it is, but plan to flash it to the newest version, when I receive it.

kah00na

I'm using a Turnigy 9x with my tricopter and also using a KK2 board. I'm pretty sure I have mine in helicopter mode. I can try to look this evening and let you know what my settings are. I have the 'auto-level' feature on one of my 9x switches too. The 9x is a great transmitter! You'll be very happy with it. I also use mine for some of the airplane swappables from FliteTest.

Mike93442

Thanks Kah00a. I look forward to see what setting you are using. I can't wait to get this thing built and in the air and eventuality doing some FPV flights.

kah00na

Yes, I am indeed using my Turnigy 9x in Heli mode for my tricopter.

This is how set the auto level to the "gear" switch (top right switch). Plug channel 5 on the KK2 board to channel 5 on your receiver, then on your transmitter:
Menu -->
Func Setting -->
AUX-CH -->
Set "CH5" to "GEAR"

The one thing I would suggest is you buy one of the back lights for it. They come in white, green, and blue. It makes it a lot easier to see outside. Also, it isn't that difficult to put in yourself. I got a green one. :)

kah00na

Another thing, you'll hear a lot of people talk about "expos". You will want to turn them up. How much you turn them up depends on what you like. There is a good video about it by flight test. I set my settings like this:
Menu -->
Func Setting -->
D/R EXP -->
RUDD: D/R : 100
AILE: D/R : 30
ELEV: D/R : 30

I may have them set low, but I started off learning to fly with them set at zero so they seem high to me.

kah00na

aidan284NZ, what are some of the advantages of the ER9X software over the standard software in regards to tricopters and quadcopters?

Mike93442

Thanks for the info aidan284nz. Can you tell me what makes the er9x software upgrade so much better than the 9x's factory software?

PrInCe

Hi lads you say your in Heli mode for your tricopter but what type select are you ie.
HELI1
HELI2
HELI3-1
HELI3-2
HELI4
been running mine in acro for the last year, just got an APM2.5 i need it in heli mode to get pit curve for 3 position flight mode switch

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Thanks for the info aidan284nz. Can you tell me what makes the er9x software upgrade so much better than the 9x's factory software?
It's more intuitive and much more customizable. Especially where switches and mixes are concerned!

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Hi lads you say your in Heli mode for your tricopter but what type select are you ie.
HELI1
HELI2
HELI3-1
HELI3-2
HELI4
been running mine in acro for the last year, just got an APM2.5 i need it in heli mode to get pit curve for 3 position flight mode switch
If you have the ER9X firmware, this might help with setting up the 3 position and one other switch to do all 6 flight modes.

aidan284NZ

As xuzme720 said, far more customizable. Im using my 9x for my tri with an APM 2.5 on it, and setting switches is the biggest plus

HELI1
HELI2
HELI3-1
HELI3-2
HELI4
HELI1 works fine. Not sure if the other heli modes work.