Turnigy 9X fried / reverse polarity

Gunny

Hi, I could use some help.

I bought a Turnigy 9X transmitter along with a 11.1v lipo that I intended to use to replace the AA battery pack that comes with it. Stupid me, I disconnected the AA battery pack and connected my lipo, turned on the transmitter and instantly had heard a pop and saw a puff of smoke. I have since learned that I connected the lipo battery backwards (reversed polarity). There is a circuit board inside that has several capacitors and other electronic thingys that are fried. I'm wondering if anyone can help with instructions for a repair?

Thanks Flitetest!!! love what you guys are doing.

gunny

Here are pictures of the circuit board and the battery I used.

Attachments

• Turnigy 9x.jpg
    Turnigy 9x.jpg
    394.2 KB · Views: 179
  • 100_1421.JPG
    100_1421.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 99
  • Turnigy 9x2.jpg
    Turnigy 9x2.jpg
    394.4 KB · Views: 1,106
Last edited:

Gunny

thanks for taking a look at it. I attached pictures to my post. I assume it was reverse polarity but reading other posts it may have been because I used a high discharge 3C Lipo..???

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
It doesn´t matter if it is a high discharge lipo or not.

I have a Lipo that gives me 40C - 50C discharge will get me to over 100A

However the Lipo doesn´t always give you those 100A if you don´t use them. It is just that the Lipo is capable of having such a high discharge rate but not more.

You can use a Lipo normally with a 0.0001C actual discharge rate in your TX (probably more, no idea about how much a transmitter pulls)

So you should just be looking at the polarity and the voltage.

Now lets get back to your picture. I have no clue about electronics but from what I can see is that the fried things there require a person that can solder properly on those boards otherwise you will damage more. A good soldering ion with a small tip is needed. Do not try it with a too big one it will burn the components again.

What those fried boxes are, no clue.

But what you probably should think of is that some things might be damaged and you can´t see that they are damaged.

Hope I could help at least a little bit.

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
78Lxx - seems to be a voltage regulator. The other ones i cant read but i am sure someone with an T8 will help with the components and any radio/TV repair should be able to help you if you are not inte electronics yourself.

And C-rating explained .
1 C = one h
10C = 6 minutes
Anas 0.0001C will give you 1000 hours before need to charge ;-)

You are normally not using 100% battery capacity and normally not using the max current all the time.
High C is normally good in most cases, When needing max for takoff, when it is cold, when needing to fast charge....

But NEVER fast charge a transmitter battery inside the TX!

Your profile does not tell where in the world you live so i cant point any help to you.

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
78Lxx - seems to be a voltage regulator. The other ones i cant read but i am sure someone with an T8 will help with the components and any radio/TV repair should be able to help you if you are not inte electronics yourself.

And C-rating explained .
1 C = one h
10C = 6 minutes
Anas 0.0001C will give you 1000 hours before need to charge ;-)

You are normally not using 100% battery capacity and normally not using the max current all the time.
High C is normally good in most cases, When needing max for takoff, when it is cold, when needing to fast charge....

But NEVER fast charge a transmitter battery inside the TX!

Your profile does not tell where in the world you live so i cant point any help to you.

You could get a 0.00001 C discharge rate. It is just dependend on how much C is so the capacity. If you have a 10000mAh Lipo my value could be reasonable.

I thought about that before I posted it and I knew someone is gonna doubt it but here is my thought of it

sandblaster

Something to think on. - How much invested in the radio and battery compared to how much are you going to invest in aircraft? What happens if you get it repaired but some other component is stressed and will let go with expensive airplane in the air. Just might be cheaper in long run to replace the radio since they are not that expensive.

con244

Last edited:

Gunny

Well I read the post and I'm not 100% sure it will work for me. I think the guy who posted it was dealing with the older model 9X, and when I looked at the pictures of the VR's and the CAP he said to use they seem to look different then the ones I need. However, I am far from an electronics expert (I don't even think I can call myself an electronics beginner :) So, I may go ahead and try it and see if it works. It's already broken so I guess it can't hurt.

RoyBro

Mentor
Well I read the post and I'm not 100% sure it will work for me. I think the guy who posted it was dealing with the older model 9X, and when I looked at the pictures of the VR's and the CAP he said to use they seem to look different then the ones I need. However, I am far from an electronics expert (I don't even think I can call myself an electronics beginner :) So, I may go ahead and try it and see if it works. It's already broken so I guess it can't hurt.

I know this is an old thread, but I was wondering how Gunny made out with his repair. I fried my 9x as well, but have since replaced it with another 9x and also bought a Taranis. I still don't want to turn loose of the idea that the 9x can be repaired. I'm just weird that way I guess.

Hedchange

I know this is an old thread, but I was wondering how Gunny made out with his repair. I fried my 9x as well, but have since replaced it with another 9x and also bought a Taranis. I still don't want to turn loose of the idea that the 9x can be repaired. I'm just weird that way I guess.
There is a repair video on youtube, rcmodelreviews has a video on it.