Turnigy 9x FrSky DHT 8ch DIY Module Installation

bmsweb

Site Moderator
Sorry I've been a little quiet lately but between work, Christmas etc its been impossible to find time to do the fun things in life . . model aircraft lol

In any case I Modded Thomas' 9X and I videoed the whole process . . well most of it. In any case here is the video, hope its of help.

Cheers
Paul

Last edited:

bmsweb

Site Moderator
nice vid but why don't you just get the module fore the 9x and just snap it in?

Nothing wrong with using the Plug in Module. Having said that I don't like the antenna on the back of the unit, nor do I like having two antennas so close to each other. So that's my main reason for going down the path of this conversion. There are a number of other reasons but this is my main one.

bmsweb

Site Moderator
Hi guys its been brought to my attention that I don't actually show the soldering of the 3 wires to the 9X's PCB . . I would call that a BIG WHOOPSY on my behalf . . sorry :eek:

In any case I'm uploading another 1.5GB file to YouTube :( Sorry again

msev

I'd like to use both the original 9x module and also install the frsky one and switch between them? Would anyone help me do that? :)

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
Why would you want to switch b/wn the two? The FrSky is far superior than the Turnigy module. I actually threw it and the included Turnigy rx away when I installed my FrSky module.

bmsweb

Site Moderator
I'd like to use both the original 9x module and also install the frsky one and switch between them? Would anyone help me do that? :)

Have a look at the Thread that FliteTest did in conjunction with David on the FrSky update to a Futaba radio. I'm sure you'll get some ideas from the method David used and his switch. I actually thought about doing this because we have probably 10 receivers for the 9X which work perfectly fine without any issues at all and I didn't want them to go to waste, but in the end I decided if we used the one system it would simplify things here.

In any case I plan on giving away some of our receivers soon :) (The 9X ones)

msev

Regarding the superiority with Frsky, yes it's true, their range is better, they have rssi and telemetry....But I also have the problem that I already have quite a few 9x receivers at home...and also as I have heard the stock range of the 9x isn't too shabby..I've heard people range test it as far as 3.5km (well frsky made 5km on stock antennas but it's close enough :) )..I guess a better way would be to desolder the antenna coax off from the 9x module,...and solder a sma-rp pigtail (as they call it :) ) so I would have the t9x module removable + possibility to install the removable frsky module..

KKArioKA

Epoxi Flyer
that blue patch is for the training cord mod ??

why didnt you installed the Frsky in the Turnigy empty module box ??

anyway, now you have a secret compartment on your radio, you can stash the binding plug and some small items :p

bmsweb

Site Moderator
The Blue Patch is actually a resistor in heat shrink and yes for the Trainer Mod.
I mainly wanted the LED and switch on the front so the easiest solution was where I put it. Having said that its only personal preference and nothing more. So yes it could be installed in the Module box . . . but then I'll lose my secret compartment ;)