Turnigy 9X Module Upgrade

JayPlay35

Hello!

I am looking to upgrade my Turnigy 9X's module and I am looking into my options.

I am upgrading because the 600ft of distance is just a little bit "unreliable" for me and if I fly around a shed, some bleachers I want some more range to use as a buffer so I know my machine won't come down to terra-firma without me telling it to.

I have been looking into the DJT and XJT modules from FrSky (everyone talks about how great they are so I am just going with the flow.) I am debating between the two modules because I don't know if getting the "X" over the "D" is worth it when I am using the Turnigy 9X. I believe I wont be able to use the telemetry feature with either of them and if that is the only difference, with the "X" having better telemetry capabilities then I don't want to spend more money on it.

My other issue is I am going to be making a 220mm fpv quad and I believe I need 5-channels (Throttle, elevator, aileron, rudder, and a 5th for selecting the flight mode) I am getting the Naze32 Rev6 and I am looking into either the X4R (or D4R-II) or the X6R (D6FR) Since I need the 5-channels I will need to get the 6-channel receiver but I see so many others use the 4-channel using PPM/SBUS.

AM I ABLE TO USE SBUS/PPM WITH THE TURNIGY 9X WITH EITHER THE DJT or XJT MODULE???

What is the benefit of getting the XJT over the DJT?

Thanks!

Include as much information as you wish! I love getting every detail I can!

AFTER POST #9: The difference in cost is only $18 between the DJT and XJT setups (Includes the receivers) This was way to much stress for that. I am just going to get the XJT... Newer=Better and more possibilities.

I appreciate you guys helping me out! I definitely learned a lot as well!

Last edited:

pressalltheknobs

Posted a thousand or more times
Hello!

I have been looking into the DJT and XJT modules from FrSky (everyone talks about how great they are so I am just going with the flow.) I am debating between the two modules because I don't know if getting the "X" over the "D" is worth it when I am using the Turnigy 9X. I believe I wont be able to use the telemetry feature with either of them and if that is the only difference, with the "X" having better telemetry capabilities then I don't want to spend more money on it.

My other issue is I am going to be making a 220mm fpv quad and I believe I need 5-channels (Throttle, elevator, aileron, rudder, and a 5th for selecting the flight mode) I am getting the Naze32 Rev6 and I am looking into either the X4R (or D4R-II) or the X6R (D6FR) Since I need the 5-channels I will need to get the 6-channel receiver but I see so many others use the 4-channel using PPM/SBUS.

AM I ABLE TO USE SBUS/PPM WITH THE TURNIGY 9X WITH EITHER THE DJT or XJT MODULE???

What is the benefit of getting the XJT over the DJT?

Thanks!

Include as much information as you wish! I love getting every detail I can!

Both the DJT and XJT support telemetry so that's not really the factor.

You can get telemetry with the FrSky dashboard The one for the DJT seems to be no longer available. So if you want telemetry without hacking the 9X the XJT maybe worthwhile. I believe there is a hack to get the DJT telemetry data into the 9X but its the one that people usually kill their radio's with.

The D series only support up to 8 channels and CPPM on some receivers. The DJT will not talk to the X series receivers.
The X series supports 16 channels via s-bus (and also 8ch PPM on some receivers). The XJT will talk to the D series and the X series receivers.

If you get the DJT you will probably want the d4R-II since it supports 8CH CPPM

If you get the XJT you will have more choice but the 9X is only 8Ch so the choice might not be one you need. While s-bus will give you less theoretical latency it's theoretical and unless you are a drone-elete you probably won't be able to tell the difference and even then.

Last edited:

JayPlay35

Both the DJT and XJT support telemetry so that's not really the factor.

You can get telemetry with the FrSky dashboard The one for the DJT seems to be no longer available. So if you want telemetry without hacking the 9X the XJT maybe worthwhile. I believe there is a hack to get the DJT telemetry data into the 9X but its the one that people usually kill their radio's with.

The D series only support up to 8 channels and CPPM on some receivers. It will not talk to the X series.
The X series supports 16 channels via s-bus (and also 8ch PPM on some receivers) it will talk to the D series.

If you get the DJT you will use the d4R-II and CPPM

If you get the XJT you wil have more choice but the 9X is only 8Ch so the choice might be one you need. While s-bus will give you less theoretical latency it's theoretical and unless you are a dronelete you probably won't be able to tell the difference.

So how would I use the X4R? I need the extra channel?

pressalltheknobs

The D4R-II supports 8ch CPPM which will work fine with the NAZE32. Just make sure to buy one with the 27ms firmware or you will have to flash it. The 18ms firmware only supports 5 or 6 CPPM channels reliably.

The XR4 needs the XJT module to work. It's only 4CH PWM or 8CH CPPM (with the new firmware). Apart from working with the D-16 protocol and smart-bus telemetry it doesn't get you anything much more than the D4R-II. The RSSI for OSD is harder to get since it's a pad not a pin.

If you got the XJT I would probably get the XR4-SB rather than the XR4 since it supports 8CH CPPM and 16CH s-bus. It is limited to 3 CHs of PWM so it's a bit less flexible for non multirotor use. Like the XR4, the RSSI out is on a pad not a pin.

The XJT also gives you the ability to use the XSR if you want to build a smaller machine.

So at the moment there's probably no great advantage to you getting the XJT rather than the DJT. It probably depends more if you plan to replace the 9X with a Taranis sometime soon. If you do then the XJT is probably the better choice. If not the DJT will do since the 9X can only give you 8CH anyway and the only real advantage is s-bus which might - and it's only a might- give you a bit less noticeable latency over FrSky CPPM but probably you won't actually be able to tell. The X-series Smart-bus is only an advantage if you do something with telemetry.

I'm not clear if you have flashed your 9X with eR9X or OpenTX yet. If so I believe you can get telemetry on the radio but the hack is a bit hairy and I'm not sure if the benefit is there. The XJT with the dashboard might be the only practical way. The FLD-02 that works with the DJT seems to be unavailable.

JayPlay35

The D4R-II supports 8ch CPPM which will work fine with the NAZE32. Just make sure to buy one with the 27ms firmware or you will have to flash it. The 18ms firmware only supports 5 or 6 CPPM channels reliably.

The XR4 needs the XJT module to work. It's only 4CH PWM or 8CH CPPM (with the new firmware). Apart from working with the D-16 protocol and smart-bus telemetry it doesn't get you anything much more than the D4R-II. The RSSI for OSD is harder to get since it's a pad not a pin.

If you got the XJT I would probably get the XR4-SB rather than the XR4 since it supports 8CH CPPM and 16CH s-bus. It is limited to 3 CHs of PWM so it's a bit less flexible for non multirotor use. Like the XR4, the RSSI out is on a pad not a pin.

The XJT also gives you the ability to use the XSR if you want to build a smaller machine.

So at the moment there's probably no great advantage to you getting the XJT rather than the DJT. It probably depends more if you plan to replace the 9X with a Taranis sometime soon. If you do then the XJT is probably the better choice. If not the DJT will do since the 9X can only give you 8CH anyway and the only real advantage is s-bus which might - and it's only a might- give you a bit less noticeable latency over FrSky CPPM but probably you won't actually be able to tell. The X-series Smart-bus is only an advantage if you do something with telemetry.

I'm not clear if you have flashed your 9X with eR9X or OpenTX yet. If so I believe you can get telemetry on the radio but the hack is a bit hairy and I'm not sure if the benefit is there. The XJT with the dashboard might be the only practical way. The FLD-02 that works with the DJT seems to be unavailable.

I have not flashed the 9X with anything, I am still using the stock firmware. If I get it flashed it would then be worth spending the extra money for the XJT system correct?
Would it be cheaper to just get the Turnigy 9XR PRO instead of the 9Xtreme?
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=51442

helinor

I have a 9x flashed with er9x, deferentially a mod to think about as it gives you a great way of controlling/programming the radio, and I also have a XJT-module. I use it with D4R-IIs in CPPM mode on my Naza flyers and it works great. I chose the XJT over the DJT because it supports more Rx types, even the L9 long range ones. If you already have the 9x I would not buy the 9xR pro. It is an ergonomically bad radio and almost the only advantage is the programming ability, and telemetry. The programming ability you can also give your 9x with some soldering, as I did, or using a Smartieparts add-on board.

pressalltheknobs

I have not flashed the 9X with anything, I am still using the stock firmware. If I get it flashed it would then be worth spending the extra money for the XJT system correct?
Would it be cheaper to just get the Turnigy 9XR PRO instead of the 9Xtreme?
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=51442

I agree with helinor. Since you have a 9x I don't really see the point of getting a 9XR PRO.

Upgrading to ex9r or OpenTX requires adding a programming port (unless you want to do a one time flash). The basic smartieparts board is the easiest way I've come across.

I haven't looked into whether ex9r or OpenTx firmwares make more channels available and so making the XJT a better choice. I think maybe they do from a brief search but nothing I found was very definitive.

The e9Xtreme seems a bit expensive but since you already have the 9X it could make sense.

The AR9X board is another add on board for the 9X you might take a look at. It's quite a bit cheaper. Think there are a few limitations but they may be unimportant. I have only glanced at it so I can't tell you what it adds...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2479552

Adding the e9Xtreme or the AR9X may make using 16 channels more practical but I haven't looked into them enough to know what they really bring to the table.

So your choices are
1. Get the DJT which will get you 8CH CPPM and more reliable range using, say, the D4R-II.
2. Get the XJT which will get you 8CH CPPM and s-bus (limited to 8ch unless you flash to ex9r/OpenTX but then might give you 16) depending on the receiver you use and you have the option of using the Dashboard which gives you telemetry voice alerts and data recording - might be more worth the money than e9xtreme or the AR9x depending what you are looking for.

Note that FrSky does not have a 16CH PWM receiver. You have to use to X8Rs with offset channels (1-8, 9-16) to get that or you can use s-bus with appropriate decoders. Flight controllers can be s-bus decoders so that is one way.

JayPlay35

I agree with helinor. Since you have a 9x I don't really see the point of getting a 9XR PRO.

So your choices are
1. Get the DJT which will get you 8CH CPPM and more reliable range using, say, the D4R-II.
2. Get the XJT which will get you 8CH CPPM and s-bus (limited to 8ch unless you flash to ex9r/OpenTX but then might give you 16) depending on the receiver you use and you have the option of using the Dashboard which gives you telemetry voice alerts and data recording - might be more worth the money than e9xtreme or the AR9x depending what you are looking for.

Note that FrSky does not have a 16CH PWM receiver. You have to use to X8Rs with offset channels (1-8, 9-16) to get that or you can use s-bus with appropriate decoders. Flight controllers can be s-bus decoders so that is one way.

All I need is 5-channels from the CPPM or the SBUS so getting the extra 8 (the 16 from the XJT) seems pointless. The benefit from getting the XJT and X style receivers would be that I am getting less latency which you have said I will see no difference. If I can use the telemetry with either module the DJT seems like a better choice since I don't, and can't use (because of the 9X), need the 16 channels.

Can I use the X series receiver with the DJT module and get telemetry? If In the future I upgrade to the Taranis which I think is a possibility, I will want the better receivers.

I will most likely upgrade the 9X or upgrade to the Taranis but the former seems to be more likely. If I get the XJT module it will not be as useful with the Taranis since it is built in.

The difference in cost is only $18 if I get eh XJT, X4R, and the X8R... this was way to much stress for that. I am just going to get the XJT...

I appreciate you guys helping me out! I definitely learned a lot as well!

Last edited:

pressalltheknobs

All I need is 5-channels from the CPPM or the SBUS so getting the extra 8 (the 16 from the XJT) seems pointless. The benefit from getting the XJT and X style receivers would be that I am getting less latency which you have said I will see no difference. If I can use the telemetry with either module the DJT seems like a better choice since I don't, and can't use (because of the 9X), need the 16 channels.

Can I use the X series receiver with the DJT module and get telemetry? If In the future I upgrade to the Taranis which I think is a possibility, I will want the better receivers.

Nope. The DJT only supports the D series (the older V series). Get it now to use now and be satisfied. It should be better than what you have and get you want you want - 8ch CPPM. Since the FLD-02 is not longer available, telemetry options are limited unless those "hop up" cards have anything to offer. You will have to look into that if you care.

If you want it all, get the XJT and since you have it you might end up using the extra stuff.

Since we are talking $24 vs $37.50...

https://alofthobbies.com/radio-gear/frsky-telemetry-system/modules.html

I think you are agonizing way too much over $12.50.

wlek

Hi All,

I have a similar question and maybe somebody can help. I have an older 6 channel JR radio with FRsky DHT module upgrade and use mostly D4R-II with ppm 6 channels on all my quads. I also have a Spectrum Dx7 ( dsm2 ) radio that I don't use at all. My question is will I be able to use a FrSky XJT module and somehow feed it with the ppm signal from the Dx7 ( as done with DHT module in JR) or will it be easier to just get another DHT module and install in the Dx7? Will the sbus output on x receivers have less latency than the ppm on d4r's ?

wlek

Sorry , google maybe gave me the answer :
https://hobbyking.com/media/file/628293433X318849X13.pdf

"One FrSky XJT module can be installed in the external module bay, using the PXX
protocol to give 16 channels. A single FrSky X-series receiver can handle all 16 channels."

Thus if I understand correctly the XJT module can only accept PXX input , which the DX7 does not have , eg I will only be able to install the DHT module fed with ppm and use 7 channels after a firmware upgrade on the D4R-II :) and continue to use ppm to fc and buy a TARANIS X9D PLUS next :)

and the final answer found :
"You will only get 16 channels if you have an OpenTx based transmitter and can select D16 or PXX as your protocol to the module. If you can only use PPM out to the module then you will only get 8 channels. The only other reason to switch to the XJT module is if you want to use an X8R receiver in its native mode. There are differences as to how the two protocols X8R-D16/XJT and X8R-D8/DJT handle some of the telemetry. Sorry, but I don't remember exactly what the differences are.

If you currently do not have X8R receivers and no immediate plans to get some then there is no advantage to upgrading."

J.P.

Last edited:

Bart4S

Hello!

I've got stock Flysky 9x transmitter with FS - RM002 module that makes me sick, so i want to upgrade and modify my 9x.

What would I like to achieve?
I would like to use X4R-SB receiver ( because it supports sbus connection ) with XJT external module. I would also like to make my 9x support telemetry provided via this set up. Do I only need to flash OpenTx to make it work?

If so, I will also add speech modification to make it yell at me when I drain to much energy from a battery.

tl;dr
Fly Sky 9x + XJT module + X4R-SB receiver + OpenTx = full telemetry supported 9x ?

Thanks!

pressalltheknobs

Since this thread was originally posted there have been a couple of new products to come along that change the answers.

1. If you want to upgrade an 9X to use ER9X or OpenTX, consider upgrading to use the AR9X ...http://www.ar9x.net/ first.

2. If you have a little bit more money to put into this, consider just buying a FrSky Q-X7 transmitter instead. For ~ $110 you will get a much more capable TX without the uncertainty of all the mods...The Q-X7 is discussed and length here...
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/sho...scussion-info-the-younger-full-featured-radio

and available from both the FliteTest store and my preferred US based FrSky supplier AloftHobbies

You need to add an SD card to enable the speech but otherwise it includes an internal XJT and telemetry support.