Turnigy 9x + Naze32 + Cleanflight Configurator - Receiver problems

snoato

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum and sadly the first thing I have to contribute is me bugging you with a problem that I have with building my second quad (a sub 250 quad). The quad uses a Naze32 flight controller (Revision 6), 4 x 12 Amp Afro ESCs, 4 x MultiStar Elite 2300KV motors and a 1300mAh 3S 25C LiPo.
The problem occured to me while setting up the Naze like in the FliteTest setup video, somehow the receiver of my Turnigy 9x doesn't work. The receiver is getting power from the Naze when a battery is connected (and yes the receiver works, at least with the KK2.0 I have on my first quad, tested it right now), but when I open the Cleanflight Configurator and the receiver tab it doesn't show any change to the input values when I move the sticks. The only thing happening is a little bit of fluctuation on the AUX Channels.
My Turnigy 9x is set to PPM mode like it should be set according to several posts I found while researching the problem and the Naze to RX_PARALLEL_PWM.
The Naze is running the latest firmware that is available through the Cleanflight Configurator.

I'm grateful for any input. Probably it's something obvious I'm missing.
Thanks in advance.

pressalltheknobs

Posted a thousand or more times
Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum and sadly the first thing I have to contribute is me bugging you with a problem that I have with building my second quad (a sub 250 quad). The quad uses a Naze32 flight controller (Revision 6), 4 x 12 Amp Afro ESCs, 4 x MultiStar Elite 2300KV motors and a 1300mAh 3S 25C LiPo.
The problem occured to me while setting up the Naze like in the FliteTest setup video, somehow the receiver of my Turnigy 9x doesn't work. The receiver is getting power from the Naze when a battery is connected (and yes the receiver works, at least with the KK2.0 I have on my first quad, tested it right now), but when I open the Cleanflight Configurator and the receiver tab it doesn't show any change to the input values when I move the sticks. The only thing happening is a little bit of fluctuation on the AUX Channels.
My Turnigy 9x is set to PPM mode like it should be set according to several posts I found while researching the problem and the Naze to RX_PARALLEL_PWM.
The Naze is running the latest firmware that is available through the Cleanflight Configurator.

I'm grateful for any input. Probably it's something obvious I'm missing.
Thanks in advance.

Cleanflight will not show any movement on the 4 control channels if it's not getting signal on one of them.

A common problem is people get one off by one plugging the Pin 1 connector from the NAZE into the BAT socket on the RX...it should usually go to channel 1. The power pins are connected in a BUS so it doesn't matter which channel socket the power gets attached.

Assuming you have CH1 -> Pin1 etc hooked up and the RX is powered from the Main battery via an ESC or voltage regulator attached to the Naze Motor header then you may have a bad connection.

Some people have solved this by re-mapping the 4 control channels to a different 4 pins...you can just change the order by editing the AETR1234 setting on the RX page to whatever order you want, saving and resetting.

snoato

Thank you! :D

It is not plugged into BAT I made sure of this, since this happened to me once on my other Quad.

If it's a bad connection, what might be causing it? Could a bad solder joint be the reason?

I will try to remap it. Thanks again :D

snoato

I still have to do the remapping but trying different pins works! Thank you so much! :D

EDIT: Remapping worked! Only 'problem' left now is that it seems that the maximum value of all inputs is at about 1880, but I think I've read something about that while researching my problem. If I find the solution I'll post it here.

Thank you so much again :D

Last edited:

pressalltheknobs

Posted a thousand or more times
cool.

Seems like it comes up more with Turnigy/FlySky AFHDS rxs. I don't have one but you're not the first to have this problem. Since remapping the pins usually works it seems like it can't be the RX but... the only thing that seems possible there is if you didn't have the TX on or it was too close maybe and the RX went into failsafe. I believe they either put out no pulses on all pins or hold on all channels except Throttle (CH3) which goes to no pulses.

Bad connectors or dry solder joints or even solder bridges are otherwise the usual suspects.

snoato

I see... Well since the remapping made it possible to use every channel my soldering might have been good enough xD

But now I have another problem... My board started blinking at boot up at all time. I googled it and all posts say it does this when it's tilted. However it's not tilted. I tried to calibrate the ACC several times and reflashed the firmware... none of which seemed to work.. Do you have any ideas?

EDIT:
flash it 7 times... that solves it.. xD ok I got my quad up and running now :D thank you so much again

Last edited: