Turnigy 9X new user...help please...

dmanmtl

Today I received my Turnigy 9x radio. Havingread a lot of advice here and not wanting to break the bank I decided to start with this as my first radio. My son and I are inthe process of building a nutball so this radio should do the trick getting it in the air.

My main question is with regards to the manual for this readio. I have downloaded the manual from the hobbyking website forum anf I must say I am not very impressed. First of all the english is almost un-itelligible in some places and the level of detail is really not great. The pictures seem different from the radio I received. This does not seem to be an official manual of any sort.

Can someone direct me to a more complete resource for learning how to use this radio?

Also - one last quick question: My radio beeps continually from the moment I turn it on until I turn it off...about 1 beep every 2 seconds - I can;t figure out why. I thought it may be because it was not finding a receiver but thats not the case...I managed to get it bound but the beeping continues....

Any help would be appreciated.
D

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Also - one last quick question: My radio beeps continually from the moment I turn it on until I turn it off...about 1 beep every 2 seconds - I can;t figure out why. I thought it may be because it was not finding a receiver but thats not the case...I managed to get it bound but the beeping continues....

Check your batteries, are they charged? Does the voltage display on the main screen show enough voltage?

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
Have you watched the FliteTest and RCModelReviews reviews of this radio? This is the problem you run into buying a $50 radio. You have to rely on the community for help since the manual and menus in the radio are written in Engrish. Had you purchased a DX6i, you would have been provided with a very adequate manual but a radio that's overpriced and that you'll probably outgrow in a year.

The beeps may be b/c you have a switch in the wrong position on start up. You need to have all the switches facing up/back.

EDIT, More 9x info:

http://myrcguide.com/index.php?topic=12342.0

The Turnigy 9x Manual

RCModelReviews Review Pt 1

FliteTest Review:

Last edited:

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
I just got mine a few days ago as well, and agree fully that the "manual" is a joke. The stock programming is confusing as well, but I had planned from the start to upgrade my software to make it an ER9X. I went with the Smartiparts board and also added the backlight from Hobby King. The upgrade process wasn't too bad, and now it's a MUCH better radio. It does more, the manual is not written in Chinglish, and there is a huge support group out there using the software that can answer questions as they come up. I've only programmed it for standard 4 channel planes so far. It's still a steep learning curve, but it's something I want/need to do to progress and be ready for bigger/better planes.

Have you considered upgrading the software? There are a couple ways to do it. The easiest way is the most expensive (smartiparts upgrade board) and the least expensive ($10 in hardware?) takes some nerve as you end up soldering wires to your circuit boards in the radio. The software is all free and is constantly being upgraded.

It's a really good radio, especially for the price. As a first radio is might be like taking driver's education lessons in a Ferrari. :)

lonewolf7717

http://www.smartieparts.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=331 Smartieparts board $35.....expensive?
The basic stock firmware works fine and would be best if you learned it first especially since this is your first programmable radio. All radios with programmable capability have a learning curve although some do have better manuals. For me it required a couple nights of playing with program features with plane powered up so I could watch servo throws....once I had a few basics down the process began making a lot more sense. This guy has a whole series on er9x programming.....if you so chose to upgrade firmware....his English is very good but does require a attentive ear.

lonewolf7717

also as others have mentioned for just about anything you want to do with your radio or if you get hung up on a particular feature.....i can just about guarantee you will find a wealth of knowledge here....rcgroups or on youtube......one of the great things about the 9x....many before have paved the way and shared their experience online.