Turnigy 9x patch boost?

Carbon

Elemental Madness
Is there a way I can do the FRsky upgrade on the 9x and also add a patch antenna for long range FPV?
Also, what is the best way to set up GPS, osd, and a RTH function?
thanks guys,
Ben

Last edited:

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Yes! The FrSky module just plugs into the back of the 9x. There's also a DIY kit that requires some soldering inside the tx, but if you use this buddycode: http://www.hobbyking.com/buddy.asp?code=1FF85370-AC96-45BE-93E6-484B56EB77C8 the module combo is about the same prices as the DIY telemetry stuff. The patch antenna screws into the same spot as the normal antenna and has the same connector. There's also a 1W booster for about $40 on ebay: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1W-Wirel...43?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item1e69e3597f, which you screw into the module, then screw the patch antenna on the end.

The cheapest OSD with RTH is the NOVA OSD, which is $120 from BevRC: http://www.bevrc.com/nova-osd-v11with-rth-function-fixed-the-mah-reading-bug_p279.html or about the same from FoxTechFPV (sold out).

There are mixed reviews on the NOVA, but bmsweb uses one and finds it pretty handy.

EDIT: By plug and play, you have to cut the antenna of the FlySky module off, and I'd recommend pulling the old antenna off the top.

Last edited:

earthsciteach

Allow me to plug a great guy: Buy your FrSky module at www.parkeflyer.com. He was kind enough to upgrade my 9x to er9x and add a couple of other upgrades, even though he had discontinued that service. And his prices are competitive. And his service is excellent! Beat that, HK!

Carbon

Elemental Madness
does the signal booster run off the TX battery? or is that separate?
also, do I need to do anything to the receiver if I go with this?

edit, one more thing: if I go with fatsharks from hobbyking, how do I set that up with foxtech's 5.8 system.

Sorry for all the questions, I am trying to make sure I do it right.

Last edited:

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
It runs off a separate power supply (5-6V). I'd get a UBEC and run it off a 2s or 3s Lipo.

The receiver just does its thing and receives the signal. It's best to make sure the 2 antennas are 90 degrees apart to get the best performance, but that goes for boosted signal or no. The booster is just making the tx output 1W instead of the stock 60mW.

Carbon

Elemental Madness
is there anything I need to add for the fatsharks to be compatible with the 5.8 500mw transmitter?

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Is that a lawmate tx? If so, it's not compatible with the rx in the fatsharks, but you can still hook the goggles up to the vrx using the cable that comes with the goggles.

If you want a compatible vtx, you need either an ImmersionRC 600mW 5.8 vtx, or a fatshark branded one (I think they do a 100mW and a 10mW). HK has the 600mW one, but it's on backorder. ReadymadeRC had some in stock for the same price last I checked, as did BevRC, but they move through stock really quickly. Also, seeing you're in the US, RCG classifieds should have some good second hand gear for you

Last edited:

Carbon

Elemental Madness
Thanks so much! If I decide to go with 1.3ghz for the video tx in the future, can I still use my fatsharks? I just heard that 1.3ghz at 300mw generally gives better distance than 5.8ghz at 500mw. Why is this? and where can I find 1.3ghz?

EDIT: would this UBEC work for the booster: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__15212__HobbyKing_Micro_UBEC_3A_5v.html
it says 5 volt output. I would hook it up to a 1300mah 2 cell lipo.

Last edited:

Nonamerc

Arman
ben maybe you want an other setup because 2.4 GHz rc with 1.2 GHz fpv is not going to work. Contact me on skype is easier

Carbon

Elemental Madness
are you available right now?

I don't have skype on this computer, but we can just pm I guess

Last edited:

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Yeah, 1.2, being a multiple of 2.4, creates harmonics on 2.4. 1.2 is also quite illegal in most countries, and the UHF systems that people use to drive them generally require an amateur ham radio licence.

I think you need to work out exactly what performance you want from your system, how much failsafe you should build in and how much you want to spend.

Nonamerc

Arman
No just turning off the pc to go to sleep. 2.4 ghz with booster and 1.2 ghz is not going to work for your frsky with booster

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
900Mhz will work fine if you're going for the lower frequency gear, and is perfectly compatible with 2.4Ghz gear. Mind you, a 200mW 5.8Ghz system with the right antenna setup will comfortably give you >5km range.

For that sort of distance, you'd really want to have at least direction home arrow, but RTH is even better.

Carbon

Elemental Madness
I havn't been very clear on my goals:

-3-5 mile FPV would be preferable
-Can carry Gopro
-can be viewed through goggles and screen(start with just one)
-Has OSD with GPS and RTH functions
-Costs preferably under $1000
-Has LED lighting

Crazy goals:
-has IR camera for night flying
-can go 10 miles

I have been planning for a while. I have a plan, I just want to clarify stuff before I get in to deep. I am currently setting up a 501c non-profit so funds will come through events. Thanks for all the help. Here is my final plan, tell me if you see anything wrong with it.

I will use the Bixler. using a 30 amp ESC and a 6x4 prop. FPV will be recorded with a camera and sent back via a 500mw 5.8ghz TX. integrated into that will be a nova OSD. Separate will be a GoPro recording below at the ground at an angle. At the ground station will be a 9x with either a Frsky unit with 1 watt booster and patch antenna or:http://fpvhobby.com/127-433-mhz-long-range-rc-system.html. a 433mhz system for long range. That would run with a 2.4ghz 500mhz tranmitter(I think this is the better option

The first one is proven, the next one I don't have much on. If anyone has any experience with 433mhz and this system exactly, is is worth the money?

Thank you guys for all your help, you are really helping.

Ben

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
The only downsides of the UHF system are the expense (especially the receivers) and requirement for a ham licence for the operator. I don't know how hard it is to get a ham band licence in the US, so I can't comment on how much impact that has.

The upside is that it's got range beyond your stated goals. It also gives you the option of using 2.4Ghz (legal) or 1.2Ghz (illegal) video systems.

The FrSky based system with a booster obviously has cost advantages, and additional receivers are <$25 apiece. I'd try and get info on the range of this setup from as many sources as possible (plenty of it out there) and see if that matches up to your requirements. The downsides of this system is that you won't have the option of using 2.4 or 1.2 video systems.

Carbon

Elemental Madness
Luckily my dad works for Insitu, a UAV company making Boeing ScanEagles. He can get me info on how to get the HAM radio license, I already expected have to do this.
Other than cost, I see no reason not to go with the 433ghz. It gives me more range than I need and alows me to use 2.4ghz. Also, if I have to get boosters and a patch, that is just more weight that makes it less portable.

Carbon

Elemental Madness
I was just going to go with that 433ghz module. It says 20-60km range and that is good for me.