Turnigy 9x Programming Board!

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
It came!!!! I'll document the installation. For those of you who don't know already, the Turnigy 9x transmitter can be upgraded with free open source firmware. The most common I would say is the ER9x version. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but the ER9x firmware vastly expands the program functions, increases model memory to 16, correctly displays lipo voltage and I think makes it a 12 ch. radio. This is the Smartieparts 9x Add-on Board with built-in Programmer and EL Backlight. This serves two purposes, it combines a backlight and a USB port so the TX can be connected to a PC for firmware updating. It is possible to mod your 9x so the firmware to be updated but this version is plug and play for the most part.

11f54ee3.jpg

1b4038cb.jpg

Last edited:

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
Carefully put the board back into position and verify all the buttons on front of the tx click and depress properly.

Replace the four corner screws and single black screw in the upper left corner. Place the stand-offs in the remaining screw positions

0b047806.jpg

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
You now reassemble the tx. There's still room if you're using the factory battery tray. I'll probably be upgrading to a lipo before long.

42f78bf9.jpg

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
The backlight will not work with the original Turnigy 9x firmware. You have to upgrade to the ER9x firmware for example to initiate the backlight. You will then be able to turn the backlight on/off through the menu.

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
The backlight will not work with the original Turnigy 9x firmware. You have to upgrade to the ER9x firmware for example to initiate the backlight. You will then be able to turn the backlight on/off through the menu.
Will it light up automatically when you touch any button or does it stay on all the time?

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
It will turn off after an amount of time that you choose, or you can set it to stay on all the time. If you have it set to turn off after say 10 sec. it will turn back on when you press any button. Here's a before and after of the backlight.

8a1bcb17.jpg

6fe35e7e.jpg

Brian fred carr

Site Moderator
Mentor
Nice one Bmonkey....who did you buy the upgrade from and was it expensive???? it looks doable even for an electrical novice like me

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
The transmitter seems even better with the upgrade.
I hope there will be upgrade with more model memories and a speech module from the telemetry data.
Anything seems possible with open source.

earthsciteach

The level of info posted on the site that sells these is thorough and impressive. Looking forward to what they develop next.

KKArioKA

Epoxi Flyer
nice job !! good tutorial !

Doesnt the board need to connect to the radio ?? i missed that part ... (only saw usb wiring and backlight wiring)

Last edited: