Turnigy 9x Programming Board!

UndCon

UndCon
LOL - it usually does

I only have 1 complaint on my TGY9x /FRSKY radio - not enough receivers :D

(I still have more RX's to the Spektrum DX7 so I cannot convert all my gear)

PaulT

Mentor
Give me an ata-boy !!!
Got the radio, got the Smartieparts board, and after sorting out a couple issues...
VOILA...
EB6417E8.jpg

3767E8B4.jpg

bmsweb

Site Moderator
Man, I'm still yet to do this mod! I might get the soldering iron out and have a go at this :) Great thread with some fantastic info :D

PaulT

Mentor
Thanks to bicyclemonkey and some other great info at the er9x forum, this is actually a very easy mod to do.
NO SOLDERING
Smartieparts USB board was the easiest part of the whole process thanks to an excellent design and great customer service. (They are Canadian after all!:D :applause: )

Minimal cost and great satisfaction that I am approaching some level of computer geekdom, I now have a completely programmable 8 channel 2.4 radio with a back lit screen.
The er9x programming I installed is mind blowing...... not even remotely like the original radio.
Took me about three minutes to program elevons with expo and d/r's for my wing.

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
OK, I'm becoming more and more keen to re-flash. I've already got a backlight in both my 9x radios, so don't need that feature. Could a single Smartipants board be used to program multiple radios? Or does the board have to stay in the radio for it to work?

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
OK, I'm becoming more and more keen to re-flash. I've already got a backlight in both my 9x radios, so don't need that feature. Could a single Smartipants board be used to program multiple radios? Or does the board have to stay in the radio for it to work?
The Smartie Parts board is there just to give the USB interface without having to solder.

bmsweb

Site Moderator
I went down the soldering path and I must say it was a lot easier than I imagined! I honestly can't believe it took me this long to finally do this mod. Irrespective of which path you go, the er9x is so much better than the standard FW :D Have to mod my son's TX next.

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Yeah, I did notice HK have cheap programming boards for about $5... And I've got a relatively new soldering iron with a nice, sharp tip...

bmsweb

Site Moderator
Yeah, I did notice HK have cheap programming boards for about $5... And I've got a relatively new soldering iron with a nice, sharp tip...

I purchased my board from ebay for $4.28AUD lol and 2 female 10pin plugs from Jaycar (1 for each of our 2 TXs) for $0.50. I've got to do a quick tutorial for my friend . .I may video my son's one when I mod it.

UndCon

UndCon
I did my mods without the smartieboard - lots cheaper and more fun if you like soldering and such :D

/UndCon

Me 2, if you have a little experience in soldering you can do it this way, allready had the USBasp programmer, just soldered in the wires and a connector and I was done^^

KoekieMonster.

PaulT

Mentor
And for those with minimal experience and high anxiety in wrecking a perfectly good radio, like me, the smartieparts board was the ticket.
I would like to get better at soldering, but not ready to use my radio as a testing ground..... yet!
More than happy to use yours, though...:rolleyes:

UndCon

UndCon
I'm glad I tested it for you Paul :D

I purchased a new 4ch receivers that happens to turn into 8ch in PPM mode.
Installed on my Quadcopter and works like a charm.

Now my 8ch is going back to Arduplane

bmsweb

Site Moderator
And for those with minimal experience and high anxiety in wrecking a perfectly good radio, like me, the smartieparts board was the ticket.
I would like to get better at soldering, but not ready to use my radio as a testing ground..... yet!
More than happy to use yours, though...:rolleyes:

Hey Paul, the funny thing is I didn't do the mod until HK had some more Mode 1 Turnigy Radios in stock! Just in case lol

Last edited:

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Yeah, I've got a second 9x (well, it's my wife's...). Still nervous about soldering it up but it doesn't look hard at all, especially with a half decent soldering iron. Doubling the model memory should keep me out of trouble for a couple of months ;)

bmsweb

Site Moderator
Well I just finished doing my son's one . . and it all went pretty smoothly. I videoed the whole lot including firmware update etc. So its the whole process from beginning to end . .no part 1, 2 & 3 etc. Will upload it as soon as my poor computer finished encoding it.

You're wife's Radio . . man!!! If only my wife was slightly interested in RC :(

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Yeah, I've got it pretty good. She occasionally flies, but is usually too nervous to get behind the gimbles. She gets inspired every now and then (usually after an airshow or a visit to the War Memorial or a really cool FT episode (there's your standard, Chad)) and is almost as excited as I am when a new package arrives...

Look forward to seeing the clip. It might just make me confident enough to go through with it!

bmsweb

Site Moderator
Look forward to seeing the clip. It might just make me confident enough to go through with it!

Trust me, I've been doing this mod for . . . . . . . . well, since yesterday lol

My wife tried it before we got married (flying RC Aircraft that is!) but retired her wings soon after. I've got a fantastic video I shot at the last Avalon Airshow. Picture this! "Camera locked in tight as 3 F16s begin their takeoff heading towards us, As they close in, I zoom out and in the foreground you see my son videoing them on his iPhone just as they take off. My son looks at the camera with the most amazing smile on his face, I pan over to my wife who is sitting on the grass, with her head down reading a book!". Not sure how she didn't notice them lol