Turnigy 9x screen issue and Hobbyking Support

heli

Hey Guys,
I recently recieved a turnigy 9x and on the second day of use; the display is completely mirror version of what it should be. initially whenever I turned the screen on it, was 80% mirrored 15% completely black or 5% perfect. but now as i've turned it off and on more often: the screen is 90% of the time completely black an 10% of the time it is mirrored which means I can't even flick through the options.
inversed screen.jpg
I've emailed hobbyking customer support who seem very friendly; but email responses are very slow. i was hoping as a last resort the guys at flight test could give hobbyking a nudge for me. I have decided that I will return the item; its just that the time between email responses is very slow to get this issue sorted. anyone know if this is normal or what the quickest way of solving this issue is?:(

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
I know from all what I´ve heard that the customer service of HK is very slow in general and not that good either!
It might be worth to try but I´d rather order another one and send the one you have back and they should give you the money for sending it back! This is how it actually should work!

heli

yeah, I plan to send it back to them; but do I have to wait for them to confirm that I can send it back to them; or do I just fill in an RMA and send it

con244

Heli HK customer service is an oxymoron. In any other country you would be treated with respect and you problem would be sorted quickly. They will make you take photos and weights and all sorts of other things. They will then make you feel like you have caused the problem and then they will make you send it back at your expense. If you are lucky you will have a warehouse in your country so you should only have to send it back there, if not it'll go back to China and take forever getting there. Then they will send your replacement back, which will take forever as well. Like ananas said it will be quicker to order another while waiting for them to sort out the other one and get a store credit for it. I stupidly bought a small kit from them and after waiting 6 weeks for it to come back in stock it was sent missing all the fuselage bulkheads. It has been 4 weeks since I contacted them and I am still waiting for my parts. All I get from them when I contact them via their customer service line is "Thank You for your patience we'll email you when we have your bits!" What a joke! I am sure Mr Hand did not start his company to run it like this.
Con

heli

yeah I know that the service is not the best: but my problem started on the second day of recieving it. I probably will take your advice con244 and order a new one while they sort this out: but that means I will have to pay for the shipping to get the item to my house, as opposed to them sending it back to me. or do they credit me with the shipping cost as well?. plus is the credit I get back transferrable back to my paypal account?

SunShine

not crazy, just stupid
hello heli! Hobby king does not refund the shipping, so that's shit. but you could try to Re-Flash the transmitter if you can. the problems you described do sound like firmware problems, or there could be a problem with the graphical processing part of the transmitter, in witch case you can't do anything.

UndCon

UndCon
1 thing you must do with your 9X is to verify all connectors inside the radio. I've seen samples where the connectors was barely inserted.

I'm extremely happy with mine - especially now that I have PPM enabled and only need 1 servowire between RX and my MultiWii-boards. 8 channels on a 4ch receiver ain't bad :D

//UndCon

con244

The screen is connected to the main board by a very delicate plastic ribbon cable. I don't think that it is possible for it to be reversed or have bad connections. Usually a bad connection would result in missing parts of the display or no display. I agree with Sunshine that it's probably a firmware problem. There is one thing you can do but it will cost a bit more, that is change the firmwareto this. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1266162&pp=50&page=276. There is a bit of work to do but its fairly straight forward and after you have finished you will have a really good fully programmable tx. Much, much better than the original. But that will be useless if there is a hardware fault. Good luck with your problem, hope you have more luch with HK customer service than I had
Con
One thought I just had is that if the screen has been installed in the tx upside down. Maybe if that had happened the cable would be in back to front and you would see everything back to front. I don't know if this is possible but it might be worth pulling the transmitter apart and try the display in up the opposite way that it is fitted at the moment. Be very careful of that ribbon cable though it can break easily.

Last edited:

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
One thought I just had is that if the screen has been installed in the tx upside down. Maybe if that had happened the cable would be in back to front and you would see everything back to front. I don't know if this is possible but it might be worth pulling the transmitter apart and try the display in up the opposite way that it is fitted at the moment. Be very careful of that ribbon cable though it can break easily.

was 80% mirrored 15% completely black or 5% perfect

Not that.

con244

Yep I missed that Colorex, thanks, you are right. Looking more like firmware. No surprise, apparently they are flashing the v2 firmware in the warehouse before sending the units out.
Con

heli

i've decided to send the unit back; as you can tell the issue of firmware or display is still puzzling as the last few times i turned the display on it was completely black. and now the very rare case of getting a mirrored display; i see the screen flickering left and right. However all the functions and recieving of signals from the transmitter worked perfectly fine. so its puzzling.

I have sent it back; and still thinking of whether to get a refund and order it myself again when they come back in stock. or to tell them to organise an exchange. but i hear bad results when you organise an exchange and they forget to actually reserve a unit for you.