Turnigy 9x simulator problems

oldmancrash

Thank you for trying to help a newbie out. I purchased my 9x turnigy from hobby king. It arrived saturday. Today my Buddy did the sim mod and we have insured that trainer is on. We have tried everything that we can find online to get this to work correctly. I have a win7 32 bit laptop. I have downloaded SmartPropoPlus and believe I have everything configured correct. When I click on SmartPropoPlus it opens and a message appears the vJoy virtual joystick is connected. This message even pops up when I open SmartPropoPlus and no joy stick is connected. When the radio is connected and I open the advanced tab and click on audio source I do show almost full scale microphone activity. Could I be flooding the input? I have tried using BMI and clear view for my simulators. Thank you for any and all help

EODPete

If it's a brand new 9x you will need to do the resistor mod or unplug your rf modual. Hope you haven't tried that yet.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
OMC,

Dunno about the 9x, but my dx7s screams into the microphone port and it works just fine (as long as I have the Mic volume turned down, so it doesn't scream in my ear)

Are you pressing "done" or "hide" on SmartPropPlus? Done closes the program (not quite a bug, but a mistake by the programmer, IMO) Hide will leave it running in the background. Press hide to use it, then launch your sim.

The other thing is the inputs need to be setup in the sims themselves -- for each sim. vJoy isn't so smart in assigning sticks to good positions, so the sims need to be told which axis is which, and reverse a channel or two to match your transmitter. Might take a minute or two flipping switches and moving sticks to get it right, but once it's done, you won't have to do it again.

Let us know if this doesn't help.

oldmancrash

EODPete, yes we already did the resistor mod. I could not do it my hands shake to much but my Buddy did it for me and he is very seasoned with electronics. I would have goofed it up. Craftydan, I believe I have tried it both ways. But when I get home tonight I will do what you have suggested to make sure. I believe I have even just left SmartPropPlus open on my desktop and tried the sim. Again Thank you both for your help. Crash

oldmancrash

ok folks. Last night I didn’t have a lot of time to try it out to the extent I would have liked. But it appears that what you said Craftydan is the ticket. I was able to open SmartPropPlus click on the hide button and it worked, kind of. I need to take the time and familiarize myself with the different terms of the sticks and learn which one is what in the configuration menu. That is just time sitting and reading the manual. So at this moment I believe that is what my problem was. Thank you so very much for your time and hopefully tonight I will have the time to sit and read and figure it out.

con244 I have been trying clear view, rc desktop and BMI. of which last night when I tried craftydan's suggestion it seemed to work in all of them. Thank you for your help also.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
I fly around w/ clearview all the time -- the whole arangement is a bear to set up, but becomes dirt simple once everything is set right. Don't give up hope, you're almost there!

oldmancrash

ok so maybe one more question??? And I have not even looked on google or here yet. Is there a chart somewhere that tells me what the different sticks are? When I went into the configuration mode it was giving me all these different axis and things. I am not sure what is what and I know last night I didnt have the time or brain power to figure it out. Sorry to be a pain. But I am NOT giving up on this. I have had way to much fun with the little app on my phone and that is what got me to this point. Well also my Buddy has a few tri and quad copters. Thank you again for your time and energy

Crash, kinda the wrong nick name to have in this hobby. But it sure has fit in everything else for the last 50 years

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
OMC,

If you're not crashing, you're not flying!

Lemme take a look at home what it maps to on my dx7s. Might not be 1:1 wiht what you have, but might give you a place to start.

IF ALL ELSE FAILS (which is frequent, around here), wiggle the sticks, one axis at a time, and see what moves on the config screen. That'll get you most of the way. I'll post my mapping later and hopefully it'll help you finish up.

BTW, you aren't being a pain. we're a helpful bunch around here, mostly becasue we need a hand or word of advice from time to time. Don't hesitate to ask, comment or lend a hand where you can!

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

Last edited:

oldmancrash

Thank you Craftydan. I appreciate the welcome. I sure enjoy the shows the flite test guys put out. I have learned a LOT. I knew with how good at describing things they are, that their forums had to be chalked full of information too. Sure enough it is. And the people that make up the forums have been very welcoming too. Just found a youtube video that describes the different axiz. Throttle Rudder left side and Aileron and Evevator right side. Now I kind of understand the names.

oldmancrash

Thank you Craftydan. I appreciate the welcome. I sure enjoy the shows the flite test guys put out. I have learned a LOT. I knew with how good at describing things they are, that their forums had to be chalked full of information too. Sure enough it is. And the people that make up the forums have been very welcoming too. Just found a youtube video that describes the different axiz. Throttle Rudder left side and Aileron and Evevator right side. Now I kind of understand the names.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Thurmond,

Only the chocolate variety. The fungus kind are too hi falootin.

OMC,

my mapping for clearview:

Throttle - X axis, reversed
Rudder - X rotation
Aileron - Y axis
Elevator - Z axis, reversed
Idle up/flaps - Z rotation (both)
Throttle hold/gear - Y rotation (both)

Yours might be reversed from mine, but since this signal should be flyable through someone else's transmitter (via buddy box), I'd be surprised if the order isn't the same.

oldmancrash

OK Craftydan. I have no idea what in the heck I am doing. I plugged in all of your configurations and all my plane does is within a couple seconds it rolls around and crashes. I have spent the last 2 hours trying to find out the correct combination to put in the configuration file and I have run out of patience. I dont know what I am doing wrong. One time I got it up in the air but the controls were all wrong and I went in and changed the settings and now it has gotten worse. I dont have a lot of hair left but I think here in the next day or 2 I am going to have even less. LOL

con244

OMC do you have all your stick throws centered? And have you calibrated your tx in your sim?
Con

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Ah forgot that point.

Con's right. You need to hit the calibrate button and follow the directions.

After that, it does simulate the control surface movements on most of their fixed wings, so you *can* check your directions by moving a stick and seeing which (and which way) the surfaces move. If it's moving the wrong way, click that reverse checkbox under the config screen. if the wrong surface moves, they probably need to be re-mapped.

If you haven't seen it , this might help:

oldmancrash

Ok so after posting up my findings last night I picked it back up and played some more. YUP while calibrating I make sure to have the sticks in the middle. Do I have my throws centered?? I am not sure. Have I calibrated my Tx???? Nope not that either. Some things I noticed...... When I turn the power on to the radio it comes up to the screen and in the bottom left corner it says mode 1. I checked my order and I ordered a mode 2 and the box is labeled mode 2. Is this something???? Then when I was thumbing around in the menu I came across a stick mode. It was set at mode 1 so I thought oh there is my problem. So I changed it to a mode 2. Not so good. Crashed the sim plane even faster. Poor little plane, soon it isn’t gonna want to fly no more cause all I do is run across the grass and lean to a side and wipeout. Can’t even call it a real crash. Changed it to mode 3 and 4 and no difference. Also is there somewhere that I can reset the radio back to factory defaults? Oh wait I found the user’s manual I can look that up. Maybe somewhere I changed something and didn’t know it. Guys THANK YOU very much for your help on this. I am excited to get this up and running but this is killing me. I know when we find the issue it will be an easy fix just the getting there is rough.