Turnigy 9X with FrSky module

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
Anyone here try this setup yet? I have a Turnigy 9X v2 transmitter that I had to order as mode 1 cause HK was out of stock on the mode 2's. I just converted it to mode 2 and installed the FrSky module.

22d8e53e.jpg

Supposedly with the patch antenna and 1W booster this setup will do 10km

http://www.rangevideo.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=62&zenid=76bf0fef609e85262b2d7c92f3b29021

Last edited:

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
Yes, about the telemetry it states:

"Receiver is able to accept 2 analog inputs, which can be used to monitor battery voltage, temperature sensor, etc., and transfer them to transmitter. Users can set the Alarm Level of these analog voltages, when exceed or below these levers, sound alarm is issued."

Flying FPV, I'll rely on the OSD for that info. I went with this b/c it's about the cheapest way to get decent range out of 2.4GHz.

UndCon

UndCon
I have the FRSKY DIY module inside my 9X connected to ER9X firmware so the telemetry is usable in the radio - like showing RSSI in the display and have alarms go off before you loose signal

I also have the patch antenna but it is still unused.
//UndCon

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
You said that it will be up to 10 km! That is a lot of distance! How much is it for the module?

I´ve heard of the Dragon Links, which give you even more than that.

Since you´ve bought the Frsky module, why not the Dragonlink? (Cheap or better?)
How about you tell us about your experience with it, as you´ve got it now :D
Well yeah FPV is the right kinda thing for isn´t it?

UndCon

UndCon
I intend to fly FPV with my modified radio but I have not initiated the replacement yet.
My radi is fully programmed so its just a matter of removing the AR7000 and use FRSKY RX instead

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
You said that it will be up to 10 km! That is a lot of distance! How much is it for the module?

I´ve heard of the Dragon Links, which give you even more than that.

Since you´ve bought the Frsky module, why not the Dragonlink? (Cheap or better?)
How about you tell us about your experience with it, as you´ve got it now :D
Well yeah FPV is the right kinda thing for isn´t it?

The FrSky module with the V8 RX is $38 from Hobby King

FrSky DJT 2.4Ghz Combo Pack for JR w/ Telemetry Module & V8FR RX

FrSKY 2.4GHz patch antenna for $15

and finally the 2.4GHz 1W amplifier for FrSky for $45.

I went this route because of cost since I'm just getting into FPV...10KM is farther than I'll be flying for a while...plus this setup will plug right into the Turnigy 9x.

booster7.jpg

Josh Bixler

I have the 9x with the frsky module. I would love to try the 1 watt with patch antenna. Maybe I will do that when David comes. :)

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
I have the 9x with the frsky module. I would love to try the 1 watt with patch antenna. Maybe I will do that when David comes. :)
It would be interesting to see if it will really do 10km...I mean 6.21 miles :)

Maybe that would make a good challenge show...10km FPV challenge lol

ananas1301

Who can get the furthest.

The problem I think is that if you want to test that you will have to use a FPV system to see or control the plane. And I don´t know about any FPV system that lasts for more than 2 miles max!

But the Joshes could give it a try though

UndCon

UndCon
If you add gear like Eagletree you can use the RTH feature (return to home)

Fly out until you loose signal and RTH kicks in and see in OSD and Google map how far you went before you lost signal.

Takes a bit to set up RTH properly but well worth it
//UndCon

ananas1301

No I haven´t but you can maybe give me a link, coz I don´t know where to find that. Is it one of the very few episodes of FT I haven´t seen or just a vid on youtube?

But I have seen planes reaching miles and miles! Quite awesome!

ananas1301

Thanks! It was one of the few episodes i didn´t watch -.-'

Anyway the fact the they fley away 27 miles is just crazy! and the calculation says eeven 120 miles.

Thats incredible!

Christian

On Rcgroups.com is a record thread for max range with 5,8 ghz. And even with 5,8 ghz 200mW they reached 8km, and the pilot says 9km would would also work. So Flitetest Team, Turnigy9x + FlySky + Patch + Booster ... + 5,8ghz 200mW with Cloverleaf and Patch = break 10km record with low cost setup :)

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
On Rcgroups.com is a record thread for max range with 5,8 ghz. And even with 5,8 ghz 200mW they reached 8km, and the pilot says 9km would would also work. So Flitetest Team, Turnigy9x + FlySky + Patch + Booster ... + 5,8ghz 200mW with Cloverleaf and Patch = break 10km record with low cost setup :)
Daddy like!

bmsweb

Site Moderator
I plan on doing something similar with a 9X just for FPV. I was actually thinking of going down the FrSky DIY Kit that's installed internally. This may be a better option :)