Turnigy 9x

wadsie

Hi, I keep burning through my rx I have gone through 2 already is the battery 2. Big I use a 1000 mah3s dunno wat is wrong can someone
Please help I follow some guy on you tube how to do it, it worked before but now it's not. Thanks

KKArioKA

Epoxi Flyer
whats your TX have to do with your RX burning ? not flaming just trying to understand why you posted under turnigy 9X ....

punctuation helps too :D

PS: are you connecting the LIPO directly to the RX ?? thats why you got it burn ...... 12V much higher than 6V (RX voltage)

Last edited:

Klonas

If I undestand correctly you burned your receiver? Or the turnigy 9x transmitter?
Receivers operate at 5-6.6 volt batteries or an ESC with a BEC...

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Hi, I keep burning through my rx I have gone through 2 already is the battery 2. Big I use a 1000 mah3s dunno wat is wrong can someone
Please help I follow some guy on you tube how to do it, it worked before but now it's not. Thanks

Sorry Wadsie- Not sure exactly what you need help with.
Can you give us some more specific information to work with?
Maybe link to the video you are trying to follow?
Maybe a picture of your setup and what exactly the problem seems to be?

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
Most receivers operate up to 9 volts. This allows them to function on a 7.4 2S or 6.6 life battery with no problems. This will however burn out most servos prematurely unless you are running high voltage servos which are also designed to run off 2S lipo. 11.1v 3S will pretty much burn out all receivers. (there may of course be some expensive high end exceptions.)

If you are having Transmitter trouble then I can't help you there as I've never seen a 9X in person.

wadsie

Yer sorry about the really bad spelling. I had to go to town and I just wanted to post this very quickly. I think I must have ran it through my esc to bind the rx last time using a 1000mah 2s. I was wiring the battery strait to the rx using an 1000 mah 3s and from what I hear that is why it burnt out. Taking to many volts considering a 3s is 11v and you said they only take up to 9v.

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
Yeah. A charged 3S is actually around 12 volts. Have to be careful bench testing things to make sure you don't take a short cut and fry something. I nearly did it the other day. You can generally run a 2S to test things and your servos will take it for a while but I wouldn't recommend flying it that way. As long as you are running it through an ESC with BEC then you'll be fine no matter what the input voltage is.

fred0000

thanks for clearing this up guys, I was getting worried as i've been running my transmitter on a 3s lipo for a few months now and thought maybe that's what went wrong here.
a 3s lipo (12.6v fully charged) is far to much to use as a reciever pack plugged into an RX, in many instances a fully charged 2s lipo (8.4v fully charged) can be to much, I use an external UBEC with the appropriate battery conector for testing purposes, that way whatever battery you plug in (2-6s) you still get 6v out, I used to use just a cheap ESC I had laying aroud but testing larger servo's would overload the internal BEC.

KKArioKA

Epoxi Flyer
I dont know how, but apparently i have 3 pieces of this 4xAA battery Holder

i think they are leftover from my 25 years old RC cars ....

but anyway ... they are good for RX testing and TX/RX config ( servos, expos, D/R )

Attachments

• 4xAAhold(1).jpg
    4xAAhold(1).jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 658

KKArioKA

Epoxi Flyer
Actually these 4-battery holders were the ones before LiPo!

Not true ! i recall after my first RC car i bought 1 transmitter with a revolutionary RX with B.E.C. system: Yes bec was written in capital letters and with dots at those early days !!

but they kept sending those battery trays with the Car kit.

and Yes, the BEC was a function of the RX not ESC !! this is my old Speed Controller, it was controlled with a full size servo :D

$(KGrHqF,!nsE8U9l-m2+BPRFmU!1Tg~~60_12.JPG

Sorry for the offtopic :D nostalgic feelings kicking in ....

Last edited:

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Not true ! i recall after my first RC car i bought 1 transmitter with a revolutionary RX with B.E.C. system: Yes bec was written in capital letters and with dots at those early days !!
but they kept sending those battery trays with the Car kit.
and Yes, the BEC was a function of the RX not ESC !! this is my old Speed Controller, it was controlled with a full size servo :D

Well, they can still be used for benchtesting.

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
thanks for clearing this up guys, I was getting worried as i've been running my transmitter on a 3s lipo for a few months now and thought maybe that's what went wrong here.
a 3s lipo (12.6v fully charged) is far to much to use as a reciever pack plugged into an RX, in many instances a fully charged 2s lipo (8.4v fully charged) can be to much, I use an external UBEC with the appropriate battery conector for testing purposes, that way whatever battery you plug in (2-6s) you still get 6v out, I used to use just a cheap ESC I had laying aroud but testing larger servo's would overload the internal BEC.

I obviously haven't owned every type of radio system out there but all Spektrum are rated for 9vdc use and my Orange Rx work just fine at that voltage. I use a 2S pack with the standard JST connectors and plug them right into the RX. You have to be careful not to get it backwards or on the wrong spot but it works just fine.

Add that to the list of bad habits that haven't bitten me.....yet. I really should find a good BEC to use for bench testing.

As far as the radio goes, the input voltage seems to vary quite a bit. My DX8 uses a 12vdc input for the internal charger and will take a lipo without making any changes. My DX5e uses 4 AA's = 6vdc. Both full range, but I'm guessing the computer board on the DX8 needs to have a higher voltage regulated down to a lower voltage to make sure a spike or low won't power down the computer prematurely.

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
I remember that, when the BEC was an option you could put in to eliminate the bulky and heavy battery pack. My first generation Associated RC10 had that, right along with the old mechanical speed control and once the battery got so low the car would just take off in random directions lol.

B.E.C. Battery Eliminator Circuitry That was the hot thing to have in the race buggies back then.

If not for nostalgia, I wouldn't be nearly as cool as I think I am :rolleyes: