Turnigy 9X

IamNabil

Is Parkeflyer still open? I've tried to get ahold of him a few times, and haven't received a reply.

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Just checked his site. He's sold out of transmitters and upgrade kits. Reliable, cheap sources of transmitters are hard to come by...

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Here's the board - $45 delivered.

http://www.smartieparts.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=331

I see that the price has gone down, but they've removed the backlight from the package. I can see the advantages to this board, but I upgraded my 9x for <$5 using an AVR programmer and a soldering iron. It's really, really easy to do as long as you 1. can operate a soldering iron; 2. can see; and 3. don't have Parkinson's Disease (I can manage it with my coffee-induced shakes). Oh yeah, you have to be able to read as well. There's a wiki (which you'll need with the Smartipants board anyway): http://code.google.com/p/er9x/

earthsciteach

Parke is a bit slow in responding to email. The DIY kit is really nice, if you can get it. It is a cleaner installation than the "plug and play" kit. Guess its a supply and demand thing. Turnigy 9x is a great product. The upgrades are even better products. I'm just curious if the Turnigy/Fly Sky/Eurgle product will become accepted to the point that the overpriced radios (Futaba/JR/Spektrum) will have to come up with a competitive product.

earthsciteach

Yeah, I suffer from those coffee shakes, too. I actually do wonder if its the onset of Parkinsons. There is a substance that settles that right out, but it shall not be mentioned, here.

Nightfury5511

This TX is a great "value for money" radio.
So far i have had a few troubles that were, After having it for about 30 minutes and putting the plane I also ordered from HK i got out the radio and put the 8 AA's in the holder, but while i was setting up all the mixes and binding and stuff it dropped .9 volts.

Next time was at my local club where we wer maidening my HK Winddragon there was a whole lot of beeps and i lost control of the model (found it 3kms 1.86mle away), I later found out that it was the AA's so i ordered THIS BATTERY since that i havent had to charge for weeks!!.

Second is that the proper flap switch came broken and i had to solder the wires on the inside together so i could turn on the 9X so i now have no proper flap switch.

Nightfury5511,

motoringmaniac

Hey guys has anyone had problems with jamming at relatively close range on the 9x. I lost a plane but not sure if it was 9x just wondering

earthsciteach

I have had intermittent issues with my Turnigy 9x. I'm not sure to what every instance can be attributed. But, I have found one recurring issue. That issue lies with the receivers. EVERY receiver that I own has suffered a broken antenna. Most often this occurs at the point where the antenna wire leaves the RX casing. I have resoldered EVERY receiver that I own, only to have this occur again. Usually, I am unaware of the break until the next crash.

Also, wireless networks operate on 2.4 Ghz. These may interfere with the communication between the TX and RX. Another issue to be aware of is brown out. The voltage to the esc can momentarily drop, causing a reset of the esc. Within this moment, a crash can easily occur. A universal battery elimination circuit (UBEC) can help prevent this. Many esc's have an onboard UBEC, but an equal number do not.

I think the tell tale sign of a UBEC is a couple of capacitors hanging off the end of the esc. But, I could be wrong. You can buy stand-alone UBECs that act as a failsafe to any esc.

Good luck!

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
I've resoldered about 4 of my receivers (out of about 14). The part of the box where the antenna exits seems to put too much pressure on the coax cable when the wire is bent (usually to fit into a tight space). I have hot glued a lip around this point on my receivers, which stops the cable being pressed against the plastic box. I haven't had any more issues.

If you want to guarantee that it doesn't break again, cut up a piece of standard coated wire (about 28awg will do the job) to the exact length of the active part of the stock antenna (to match it, you'll have to remove the red heatshrink that holds the active (unshielded) part). If you solder this on to the board where the core of the coax is soldered to, taking care not to have any bare wire on the soldering pad for the shielding, it will work as well as the stock antenna. It should also be more durable and it's nice and easy to fit into those tight spots.

motoringmaniac

Thanks Teach and lobstermash I had not considered the antenna coming off. That would make a lot of sense actually. What happened is I was flying my fw190 that morning had a beautiful flight no problems. That night after supper I took her out again to fly with my dad. Controls looked ok on the ground but I lost full control just after I took off with inter-mitten control as it spiraled and looped closer to me. I then met with a full throttle nose dive that drive the spinner 3 inches into the soil (1400mm foamy). I thought my beautiful fw 190 was destroyed but I managed fix her up. In the wreckage I found my antenna and my receiver separated, but I figured it was the violent crash so that is possible. I also found an aileron broken off (foam hinge) even though the wing was not damaged. Does any of this sound familiar to you having lost a few to antenna separation. If that's all it was it would set my mind at ease, because I really like my 9x.

Last edited:

earthsciteach

Thanks Teach and lobstermash I had not considered the antenna coming off. That would make a lot of sense actually. What happened is I was flying my fw190 that morning had a beautiful flight no problems. That night after supper I took her out again to fly with my dad. Controls looked ok on the ground but I lost full control just after I took off with inter-mitten control as it spiraled and looped closer to me. I then met with a full throttle nose dive that drive the spinner 3 inches into the soil (1400mm foamy). I thought my beautiful fw 190 was destroyed but I managed fix her up. In the wreckage I found my antenna and my receiver separated, but I figured it was the violent crash so that is possible. I also found an aileron broken off (foam hinge) even though the wing was not damaged. Does any of this sound familiar to you having lost a few to antenna separation. If that's all it was it would set my mind at ease, because I really like my 9x.

That sounds exactly like what has happened when I had a broken antenna. Intermittent control resulting in a crash.

Hal9000

Seem that the stock receivers do suffer from broken antennas easily. I watched a guy last weekend who had this exact problem and tore the nose off his foam glider. His trainer was embarrassed but we did see that control was lost after 5-10 metres resulting in a nose dive.

So now the student has learnt to range test before taking off, and so have I!

Because I am hard of hearing I made the decision from day one to go with the FrSky DIY kit and am working towards having telemetry for battery level and signal strength.

I've had two buddy boxed flights with my AXN and no issues so far. 3 mistakes high is my fight level and I can actually do a large figure 8, but with wild variances in altitude. Still getting my eyes and brain used to the spatial awareness needed to fly competently.

Hoping for some nice weather this weekend to get some more flying time.