Turnigy 9XR - The Unofficial Thread

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
EVERYDAY on my flying field someone with a OrangeRx (Dsm2 with no satellite) loose signal ... sometimes for over 10 seconds .... often resulting ina bad crash.

I simply dont trust DSM2 .....

I fly 5 models with Orange RX's (DSM2) one being my nitro helicopter. I have yet to have any problems that weren't related to a bad servo overdrawing the system. Are there any radio towers like the Josh's have in your flying area that may cause interference or anything like that?

earthsciteach

bmsweb-you sort of called me out with that one! I have to convince myself that I am not loosing out on anything by using my lesser expensive fly rods. Man, I'd love to have a G Loomis or a Sage.

A good friend of mine builds his own rods from St. Croix blanks and they are fantastic. He and I went out a couple of weeks ago and he brought along a bamboo rod that he had painstakingly restored. It broke while casting. I thought he was going to walk up to the bridge and jump off! Luckily, I had my Orvis 5 wt along as a spare. Its the clearwater series (low end) and it casts like a dream! I can throw some ridiculously large and heavy flies with it if I take my time and use a big loop. It started out 7'-9" (small stream rod) and I've tipped it a couple of times. It prob more like 7'-4" now and still performs great.

Carbon

Elemental Madness
So, kinda off topic, but when is the Bixler 2 review coming out?
Figured I would ask here since there is no new news...

Brian fred carr

Site Moderator
Mentor
Why are we talking about fishing????....the new 9xr looks good add i will be getting one for sure although I am yet to have a problem with range or control on the original 9x

KKArioKA

Epoxi Flyer
I fly 5 models with Orange RX's (DSM2) one being my nitro helicopter. I have yet to have any problems that weren't related to a bad servo overdrawing the system. Are there any radio towers like the Josh's have in your flying area that may cause interference or anything like that?

I have cell phone towers, but most of the guys that had bad experiences with orangerx, they often have low resources and lots of "creativity" in the building/reparing process so i might dont trust their build either ha ha ha (some of them use DX5 too-not sure about the range on the DX5)

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
I have cell phone towers, but most of the guys that had bad experiences with orangerx, they often have low resources and lots of "creativity" in the building/reparing process so i might dont trust their build either ha ha ha (some of them use DX5 too-not sure about the range on the DX5)

I have had issues with my DX5e as well. It's just a buddy box now or I let the kids fly the cub with it. As long as the rest of the system is done properly the Orange Rx's have been flawless for me matched with my DX8. I fly two hard 3D planes with it, my 8 channel cub and my .30 nitro heli. Never a problem with the 6 channels, only problems with the 8 channel when I was using old servos for my ailerons and they were damaged and drawing too much. Once I replaced those two servos I haven't had any more trouble.

molond13

Before I got my 9x, I used a DX5e with both the ARxxxx (if think 6111) park-flyer rx and the OR610 with Sat rx and I had more troubles with the ARxxxx cutting out within 300m when its rated to 600m (and range test was good). The ORx had never cut out on me.

But there was no towers around me to affect the performance so I'm not sure if it was luck or not.

Darcy

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
The park flyer transmitters and receivers from Spektrum have miserable range. My 400 helicopter comes with a park flyer rx but I never fly it that far anyway so it's not an issue. Plus I only use my DX8 now so it's never been an issue but I would never put one in a plane.

WombatControl

Certified DT foam addict
Some good news from HobbyKing's Twitter feed:

The 9XR isn't too far away now. It's taking longer than we would like but it'll be worth the wait!

The "sub assemblies" (probably the circuit boards and other components) are being put together now - no shelf date yet, but we are getting closer...

Last edited:

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
Heads up, Posted by Hobby King Admin (Anthony I believe) yesterday:

Hi guys,
Remember we built this thing to a price. Touch screens are expensive.
We will finally have some finished photos for you within the next 2 weeks as all the plastics are in mass production.
Thurmond

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
HK tx case vid showing a poss 9XR prototype? Confirms the overall look of the pics on page 1 of the thread, and also unfortunately - the god-frigging-awful handle design :confused:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=Rpw-BE4D4DQ

I actually prefer the handle design, even if it looks awful, because the standard sticking-out-antenna design is very flimsy - especially with the put-it-in-a-bag type transport that I give it.

They could still have put the antenna inside the case, but for $50 I won't complain if it needs a satellite dish to work... :D

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Don't worry, there's plenty of life in the old 9x mate. On principle I never buy a HK 'in house' development until at least the second delivery round. Although they're getting more hits than misses lately, there have been some spectacular oversights in some products...

Also, I'm happy to give the programming nuts a couple of months with something like this to improve the firmware. If the price point is better than the current 9x as promised, there'll be a lot of excitement and people looking to maximise the performance.

JayDoc

Naturally, I remember this now, three days after my 9X arrives.

I was hoping to be able to use the module from my FS TH9x, if the 9XR does end up module-based. I know that everyone is gung-ho about the FrSky stuff, but my interest hasn't extended yet to telemetry - and I still have a couple R9Bs I could use...

Would be nice to fly my FlySky and Spektrum stuff from the same tx w/o surgery mods to my existing 9x - that's all

JayDoc

They could still have put the antenna inside the case, but for $50 I won't complain if it needs a satellite dish to work... :D

Doh! I was having a 'stupid' moment :black_eyed: Handle=antenna, I agree with you now - not as bad as I thought

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
HK said they had to add a number of people to the line that is producing the transmitter but no word of a release date.

In other New Transmitter news I received this from Aloft Hobbies Newsletter www.alofthobbies.com :

FrSky (Free Sky) has been very busy. The biggest news is that their New X9D, 9 Channel Transmitter will be released very soon. Despite the X9D's impressive features, this radio will be FrSky's entry level transmitter. Early next year FrSky will be releasing their 12 and 16 channel systems, and these are really going to impress! With elegant new case designs, and even more features, these radios will leave the competition crying. If you are a current FrSky user, than you have probably heard the rumors about the new transmitters, there is nothing else on the market that is going to compete. Huge processor power, full telemetry, speech, USB port, SD memory slot, and a vibrant open source approach guarantees unlimited features. We expect great things, and FrSky is very good at delivering on those expectations.

FrSky is also been working hard on their sensors, and a new hubless approach. The first of these new sensors is the FAS-100, a 100 amp sensor that reports voltage, amps, MAH without requiring a hub. More are soon to follow.

Thurmond