Turnigy HD ActionCam

I recently bought the Turnigy action cam and am in the process of hooking it up to my Quanum FPV system. I am using the usb video out cable and have hooked it up as you all have in this thread and have changed the tv mode to "on." But still no success. The only thing I can think of is the firmware. How do I find out the firmware version of my cam,,,,,,,and if it needs updating,,,,,can anyone tell me how to perform the upgrade or where to go for instructions? Thanks bunches! !

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
I recently bought the Turnigy action cam and am in the process of hooking it up to my Quanum FPV system. I am using the usb video out cable and have hooked it up as you all have in this thread and have changed the tv mode to "on." But still no success. The only thing I can think of is the firmware. How do I find out the firmware version of my cam,,,,,,,and if it needs updating,,,,,can anyone tell me how to perform the upgrade or where to go for instructions? Thanks bunches! !

Yes the Turnigy action cam is a SJCAM SJ4000.

http://www.sjcam.com/cameras/9-sj4000-full-hd-1080p-waterproof-action-camera-sport-dvr.html

http://www.sjcam.com/content/9-sjcam-sj4000-action-camera-firmware

Firmware Update Instructions

Format the MicroSD Card, unzip the file.
Copy the firmware file(s) (.bin) onto the root of the MicroSD Card
Connect the camera with charger, the camera will be upgraded automatically
After the firmware update is completed be sure to delete the files or you will be prompted to upgrade again

Actually I'm going to do the update just too see whats new.

:)

Andre

Hey Andre,

I hope you are still checking on this thread. Did you ever get to doing the firmware upgrade on the action cam? I am back to working with this project and just got done giving it a try. I must have done something wrong because not I get a black screen on the cam. I can still turn it on and the lights light up but nothing shows up on the screen. I am afraid that I am dead in the water. I don't know what to do next. Any thoughts on recovering my camera?

marty

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Hey Andre,

I hope you are still checking on this thread. Did you ever get to doing the firmware upgrade on the action cam? I am back to working with this project and just got done giving it a try. I must have done something wrong because not I get a black screen on the cam. I can still turn it on and the lights light up but nothing shows up on the screen. I am afraid that I am dead in the water. I don't know what to do next. Any thoughts on recovering my camera?

marty

Try this one...

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uploads/918236594X640134X11.zip

Tom_1971

Looking for a camera for FPV truck project. I think having sound link in addition to video link could help perception of what happens in and around the truck... Does the Turnigy action cam have audio out? Does the gopro have? Many thanks,

DharanFlyer

Thanks for this post Andre. Really helped out. Just got mine in the mail yesterday to throw on my quad and wanted to update the firmware. Have a great one!

markyoe

Hey Andre! Nice work on the reviews you publish! You should watch the rcgroups classifieds for a couple weeks under "FPV Equipment" and "Non-related RC items" for a another Gopro like a Hero3+Black or something. That way you can compare all your action cameras to the a newer GoPro. I got one there for a great deal!

Have a great day!

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I really like the RunCam2 I got with one exception - I can't get the Android application to work on my HTC phone. But the video quality is great, and the audio is pretty good too.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I guess I was used to the really horrible audio on my prior 'el-cheapo - banggood special', compared to which the RC2 I finally bought in April is a big step up. They might have addressed firmware problems on the RC2 compared to the 2015-2016 units, or maybe it's just cause I'm only recording prop and wind noise that I haven't noticed any problems.

Anyway, YMMV as always :)

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
I just received my Turnigy Eclipse yesterday with docking station ation. Looks slick. Not something I would fly through as I can see maybe a little more than than .5 sec lag throught the wifi to the app. But the price made it a low risk step into action cams.

Maiden_Crash

The 5.8g FPV signal will have less lag than the WIFI link does, I fly through my Runcam2 and its wifi lag is horrible. On an FPV transmitter though it is great.

I just bought the Turnigy action cam 2K, which is an SJ4000+. Sj4000 case fits it perfectly, gonna try it out 4wheeling tomorrow before mounting it to a tricopter