Turnigy KeyChain Camera

Hey guys i saw a keychain camera on hobbkyking and thought it would be a good cheap camera.

But i have some question with it and hobbyking are useless and dont tell me...

How do you get the video off the camera to the pc? Do i have to have a micro sd port?

earthsciteach

Are you looking at the $7 and something camera on HK? If so, it looks like an 808 keychain cam. These have been around for a while and are quite popular. However, there are varying degrees of quality and this one looks like it is a standard definition version instead of HD. Plus, looks like its on backorder, at the moment.

To answer your question, these cameras use memory cards which can be inserted into a card reader to download the video. Also, they come with a USB cable that can be used to download the video - this is the easiest way. The computer sees the camera as a drive.

The latest and greatest 808 Keychain camera is the #16. Its high definition (as they have been for quite a while) plus can be used as an fpv camera! The picture is not that great, but it certainly is a nice feature. These will set you back around $45 US. I'll post a review done on the camera, below.

These cameras are sold over ebay (mostly) and you have to be careful who you order from. There are a lot of "fakes." You can find the vendor from the review posted on the youtube comment section below the video.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
The hobbyking camera for $7 is a justifiable investment. It does not come with a micro SD card though. It does come with a small USB adapter thingy to plug it into the PC and to charge it.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Yeah, some of the cameras came with built in memory. I had the ones that used the micro SD cards though.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
I'm using one of the 808#16's on my planes and multi-rotors. I like the camera and the video I get from it, for the price. The one I have came with an adapter to use as video out to my vid Tx.
However, on a side note, I am getting jello on the multi's no matter how I mount the camera. I have used Chad's wire hanger method, fuel tubing isolators, latex foam, and multiple combinations of these with no luck. I'm starting to wonder if it's the cameras method of capture that is causing my trouble. Props are balanced on a Top Flite magnetic balancer and I'm getting the same type of wobble on both the hex and the quad. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

aiidanwings

I'm using one of the 808#16's on my planes and multi-rotors. I like the camera and the video I get from it, for the price. The one I have came with an adapter to use as video out to my vid Tx.
However, on a side note, I am getting jello on the multi's no matter how I mount the camera. I have used Chad's wire hanger method, fuel tubing isolators, latex foam, and multiple combinations of these with no luck. I'm starting to wonder if it's the cameras method of capture that is causing my trouble. Props are balanced on a Top Flite magnetic balancer and I'm getting the same type of wobble on both the hex and the quad. Any suggestions?

Add a weight between the camera and the aircraft.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
I have the battery as part of the isolated camera mount. I'm going to go back through and start with the motors and re-balance everything. It almost acts like a harmonic so it might be in the motors, not the props. I'll let you know if I make any headway.

aiidanwings

In the way which these cameras overlap frames, it may be a constant effort to eliminate vibrations. Sometimes insulation is the answer.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
I'll give balancing one more effort. I've been looking at Gopro's but wanted to wait until they got the software issues worked out.

Here is a shot of my last mount with the battery and camera on it for scale. _DSC7893 copy.jpg
The mount is a velcro sandwich with latex foam in the center. I've also thought about getting some neoprene to mount under the motors...

I have some raw video up on my youtube channel showing the jello if you have time.

Last edited:

aiidanwings

Just my opinion, but the flat board looks like it would conduct vibrations easily and the tall camera pads seems like it would amplify these vibrations.

I mount my 808 directly to the mainframe with Velcro.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
My original mount was on the frame but had latex foam. I'll give a velcro mount a try.

I want to thank you guys for the input and your time. I'll keep you posted on progress if we make any.