Turning a Tiny Trainer into a Zivko Edge

PeterL

I had a spare Tiny Trainer speedbuild kit but had already built two so I decided to try to modify
it to look more like a mini version of the Zivko Edge.

I made the wing section semi-symmetrical by adding a score line on the bottom section in line
with the first score line on the top section (about 40mm from the leading edge). I also cut off
the final 30mm or so from each wing and glued these pieces on top instead. I reduced the dihedral
by around 50% and mounted the wing a third of the way down the fuselage instead of at the top. I
used some extra foam plus a little balsa to enlarge and round the front of the fuselage, added a
canopy and turtle deck, enlarged all the flying surfaces with light balsa trailing edges, and
covered it all in Hobbyking shrink film. I fitted a 2205 motor and upped the battery to a 100mAh
3S, and moved the rudder and elevator servos (9g) to the back to compensate. In the end I think
it would have been easier to just download the FT Edge plans and build a proper one but I learned
a lot from the exercise!

Anyway I maidened it yesterday and it survived, just! It was very fast and twitchy and I had a
lot of trouble keeping it close enough to figure out its orientation. However once I dropped the
power to 50% and trimmed it out it was a lot less nerve-wracking. To be honest it's right at the
limits of my modest flying skills, and I only just kept it in the air, but hopefully I will learn
a lot from flying it!

mini Edge.JPG

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I had a spare Tiny Trainer speedbuild kit but had already built two so I decided to try to modify

I made the wing section semi-symmetrical by adding a score line on the bottom section in line
with the first score line on the top section (about 40mm from the leading edge). I also cut off
the final 30mm or so from each wing and glued these pieces on top instead. I reduced the dihedral
by around 50% and mounted the wing a third of the way down the fuselage instead of at the top. I
used some extra foam plus a little balsa to enlarge and round the front of the fuselage, added a
canopy and turtle deck, enlarged all the flying surfaces with light balsa trailing edges, and
covered it all in Hobbyking shrink film. I fitted a 2205 motor and upped the battery to a 100mAh
3S, and moved the rudder and elevator servos (9g) to the back to compensate. In the end I think
it would have been easier to just download the FT Edge plans and build a proper one but I learned
a lot from the exercise!

Anyway I maidened it yesterday and it survived, just! It was very fast and twitchy and I had a
lot of trouble keeping it close enough to figure out its orientation. However once I dropped the
power to 50% and trimmed it out it was a lot less nerve-wracking. To be honest it's right at the
limits of my modest flying skills, and I only just kept it in the air, but hopefully I will learn
a lot from flying it!

View attachment 206312
What a clever idea, I love it! It turned out looking nice. (y)

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member

a lot from the exercise!

a lot from flying it!

View attachment 206312
Now I have a plan for the remnant wing and fuse of my TT. Very cool!

PeterL

Thanks guys. The prop is a standard (not slow fly) APC 6x4 electric, also referred to as "Speed 400 Electric" on the packet. Motor manufacturers don't seem to provide prop and battery recommendations, so I simply extrapolated from the 6x3 prop provided with FT Power pack A for the 1806 motor. The 2205 is the smallest size up from the 1806 in the FT Radial range - I would have preferred something in between but I could only find a few examples of 2203 and 2204 motors on the market and they seemed to be very drone-specific. The plane is only 90g heavier than my standard Tiny Trainer (so about 25% heavier all up with battery), but the 2205 motor is 66% heavier and I assume therefore 66% more powerful. This is presumably one reason I found the plane so much of a handful in the air!