Twin 50mm EDF Mig 29

SSgt Duramax

Ok folks, it is time the process of another design. I am going to be putting together a Mig 29, and hopefully everyone will be able to benefit from it.

Why the Mig 29? Well, it was my second plastic model I had ever put together, the plane is pretty simplistic, and looks really cool! Plus, there isn't a whole lot of quasi masters series jets, and no mig 29s I can find (I found some foam build on youtube from someone from S.E. asia somewhere, but there were not plans). I know there is a profile foamie pusher jet out there, but come on, look who you are talking to here.... Jets gotta have jets. Although, I believe this design would lend itself pretty decent to a pusher, or even tractor set up if that is your thing.

The goals of this are to have a simple, 3CH elevon jet that has a wide speed envelope and is easy to fly and easy to build. In fact, I am pretty sure this is going to work, because I completed the alpha build and flew it already. It was docile except for the CG being too far forward. I still haven't figured out CG, and there were some intrinsic issues using papercraft plans I used to make the alpha. I pretty much just scaled the plans up to fit my EDFs, printed them out and glued them to foam, applied building techniques I knew and came up with a jet. It worked, and it flew. Here is what it looked like.

412202_1878f346804a6fd7c2194c4f21f6307d.jpg

Weighing in at 1lb 14oz without battery, it was pretty light for a twin engine EDF jet that was 47" long and had a 39 inch wingspan. It was light enough and slippery enough that the twin 50mms powered it just fine. I probably achieved a speed of somewhere near 50mph on maiden, I didn't push it, because frankly, it was my first jet flight that lasted longer than 15 seconds too.

This is where I got the papercraft plans from:

http://www.fiddlersgreen.net/models/Jets/MIG-29.html

Now I don't feel comfortable posting the papercraft plans here as they are for sale, and no matter how dead that site seems and may be, and the plans were drawn up in 1992 seemingly, I wouldn't want someone posting my stuff like that. So if you want to do exactly what I did, you can do that and scale it 500% like I did. So even though I was 7 when those plans were drawn, and the person who drew them may be dead, I am still not posting them.

The plans I am making, while they are loosely based on the idea of the papercraft model, are going to be pretty different than the papercraft model (as in I have a few hours in on these plans, making measurements, scaling, changing things...etc) that I don't feel like I am hurting anything. You couldn't make an attractive papercraft model using the plans I am posting and I am not transferring the livery over, so I think we are good. (Although I do want to make a ghost of Kyiv livery/rasterize skin).

So with all of that out of the way, I am about 70-80% done with the plans so far, and I will be beefing up areas that failed in the crash, but I believe we will have an easy 4-5 sheet easier to fly jet for the intermediate pilot that will make a good first get once the CG issue gets worked out. I flew it just fine and never stalled it... so I would say it is a good first jet.

SSgt Duramax

Here is the plans if anyone wants to build along, they obviously aren't anywhere near completed, and missing where to depaper and such, but you should be able to build something with this. The only thing I am really not sure about is the motor pod sizing, which I might need a mulligan on.

Edit: The engine pods needed fixed and I updated the below plans.

Attachments

• mig base and wings.pdf
    13.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Mig canopy n stuff.pdf
    11.3 KB · Views: 0
  • mig upper fuse.pdf
    8.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

SSgt Duramax

Build Instructions.

1. Get the base cut out. Once it is cut out, transfer and trace the patter in a mirror image to another piece of foam to make the other side.

20220402_182049.jpg

Next tape up your two halves (try not to do a crappy job like i did and make it even).

20220402_190334.jpg

Then you want to glue it up and tape the other side. I used white gorilla glue, but anything will work.

Then after you did that, cut your scores and notched for the engine pods. The reason I waited until now to do those cuts is so that I dont accidentally make 2 left or right sides.

20220402_191841.jpg

Then pick what you want to do for a spar. One 1/8 inch bamboo skewer and a couple popsicle sticks were enough to support the wings on the alpha version. You can also use a really long paintstick in the middle or you can do 2 smaller ones off to the sides at an angle.

20220402_192239.jpg

I am going this route.

20220402_193247.jpg

If you like, you can cut out the bottom of the wing for an aileron or flaps or spoiler control surface if you like. The alpha build didn't need ailerons, but hey.

20220402_200512.jpg

Bevel your wing scores, i don't really do the 45 degree cut anymore. I just use an extra large bbq skewer. I go through with the pointy end then the fat end.

20220402_200647.jpg

You can depaper the top if you want. I didnt for the alpha, but I am for this one. Leaving paper theoretically adds strength. Ive never had a defoamed upper wing with gorilla glue fail on me.

20220402_200934.jpg

I like to tape the front of the wing where it folds so it wont crack when you fold it.

20220402_201117.jpg

I decided to glue in a middle support. Unless noted, I am using this titebod quick and thick and not hot glue. PVA wood glue works too. Hot glue works as well, I just dont use it a ton.

20220402_201724.jpg

Last edited:

SSgt Duramax

Continuing on... fold the wings over and weight them down, glueing them with white gorilla glue, it is seriously strong.

Fold your wing over and make sure it lines up.

20220402_203539.jpg

Weight it down with something that wont leave a mark.

20220402_203859.jpg

Repeat with the rear stabs. My rear stabs didnt fold quite right, I need to look at the plans or I scored wrong.

20220402_212523.jpg

Next get your engine pod cut out, depaper it, and get it bent into shape. This is the needed outline for the motor pod, i need to update the plans.

20220402_225915.jpg
20220403_144606.jpg
20220403_144732.jpg

Instead of cutting out the motor support, you can just wrap the bottom half in a sheet of depapered foam.

UPDATE: The engines need to go farther back to help with CG. I am going to update the placement in the plans later. I am going to place them all the way in the rear.

20220402_235740.jpg

Dry fit the pod, it should go quite all the way down. Your motor will leave a mark. Then take your motor and roll it around to make a crease in the foam.
20220403_144732.jpg
20220403_145354.jpg

Put some glue around the lip of your engine and the foam where it will contact the pod, then glue your pod over top. Repeat for other side.

Flip the plane over and get your electronics hooked up. Make sure everything turns the right way. It isn't pictured but hook up your servos and drape them out of the back.

20220403_172915.jpg

Next the turtledeck. Depaper one side. The rear fuse right next to the h stabs where the oposicle sticks are is important and you want that to be very solid. I used liberal amounts of gorilla glue as it expands and is strong. It is probably the best glue for this job. Alternatively, you could use copious amounts of hot glue. You also need to glue up to the leading edge of the wing. Let this dry completely!

20220403_174119.jpg

Next we will shape the front. In a twisting motion pulling up and in gently twist/pull the bottom edge of the turtle deck even with the main fuselage and glue it up. A little overhang is ok. I used thick and quick and taped it up.

20220403_200348.jpg

Depaper the upper fuselage canopy section and start forming it.
20220403_224539.jpg

Start by folding the bottom together first, then the top.

20220403_225921.jpg

Attachments

• 20220402_235110.jpg
    20220402_235110.jpg
    695.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220403_144835.jpg
    20220403_144835.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220403_144841.jpg
    20220403_144841.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

SSgt Duramax

Finish up the front section, mold your nose cone and glue it on.

20220404_175255.jpg

It just slides on to the front. You can glue it on and cut hatches like I did on the prototype. On this one I just put magnets on the back of the upper fuselage and canopy part and the whole unit slides on and off.

20220404_191357.jpg

Put your servos about right there.

20220404_193035.jpg

Form you upper motor covers up and glue them on. Then glue your vertical stabs on and boom! You have a mig 29!

Feel free to add ailerons, I may still if I feel I need more roll authority. Might be neat to do flaps too. I figured you have 2 elevator servos, may as well use them!

20220404_223112.jpg
20220404_225107.jpg
20220404_233126.jpg
20220405_071211.jpg

Last edited:

SSgt Duramax

If you are making this, the next step is the lower engine pods. They need to be redesigned, i am doing that now.

Baron VonHelton

Elite member
Ha! The goblin! No, if I were building that, I would need to build a B-36 too! Once the turtle deck, upper fuse, and nose get added the plane grows about a foot.

Yep! Love the goblin. He's "so ugly he's cute" type deal.......I like the version with 3 vertical stabilizers, not 2.

:p

SSgt Duramax

Yep! Love the goblin. He's "so ugly he's cute" type deal.......I like the version with 3 vertical stabilizers, not 2.

:p
Well, if we're going all in, i need to try and make a minature molten salt reactor to power the B-36. I think we did that with the F-84 too. I want to design a F-84, but I am not sure if I want to make a thunderscreech or not.

Beaver5150

Foam-board sculpting.... I noticed this phenomenon upon discovering Flite Test and their many creations, yunno, the Master Series of models they have, etc.
Much respect to those who manipulate foam-board into a "store bought" looking scale planes!!

I'm more of a utilitarian. I do try lately to make my creations look somewhat asthetically interesting, but in the end it usually ends up being function over form. It don't have to look pretty to fly well, especially If I'm making it out random parts I have sitting around. I just wanna fly. 😛

Foam-board sculpting.... I noticed this phenomenon upon discovering Flite Test and their many creations, yunno, the Master Series of models they have, etc.
Much respect to those who manipulate foam-board into a "store bought" looking scale planes!!

I'm more of a utilitarian. I do try lately to make my creations look somewhat asthetically interesting, but in the end it usually ends up being function over form. It don't have to look pretty to fly well, especially If I'm making it out random parts I have sitting around. I just wanna fly. 😛
Right on brother. (y)

SSgt Duramax

I feel you there. But honestly, I have made your cut and fold FT type planes that are just as hard. My intent is that this one would be easy. Once you get a hang of bending the foam, the entire plane is actually pretty easy aside from the nose cone and canopy section. The bottom intakes I just folded over a gift wrap tube. The upper fuselage really just bends into place.

But square planes rock too! Actually, my favorite plane is the square UAV I built that ended up being called the night fury. It is literally just a square tube with a pointy nose and a simple v tail. I make no promises for my plank which will have an XPS sanded and molded fuselage covered in fiberglass.

Baron VonHelton

Elite member

I'll just be glad to get one of my planes to actually fly. The B-17 is a store-bought plane, so it doesn't count. My Nieuport cowling is repaired & I will try again. I've gotten them to fly (somewhat) as a crude glider at least.
Perhaps that's what everyone is waiting for, to see one of my planes actually fly a decent distance.

:unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure:

Beaver5150

I feel you there. But honestly, I have made your cut and fold FT type planes that are just as hard. My intent is that this one would be easy. Once you get a hang of bending the foam, the entire plane is actually pretty easy aside from the nose cone and canopy section. The bottom intakes I just folded over a gift wrap tube. The upper fuselage really just bends into place.

But square planes rock too! Actually, my favorite plane is the square UAV I built that ended up being called the night fury. It is literally just a square tube with a pointy nose and a simple v tail. I make no promises for my plank which will have an XPS sanded and molded fuselage covered in fiberglass.
I'll have to break out a photo of my first build.... 58" cardboard thing. That was before I discovered some of the methods used by FT, A-folds/B-folds, etc. It was a mess, but it was tough!