Twin 50mm EDF Mig 29

newguy2012

It flies spectacular. Turns out I was pretty dang close on my CG estimate. It is 7cm behind the leading edge of the wing, right in front of where the V Stabs start. I accidentally got a tail heavy flight in too, and the plane is still in one piece. It handles high alpha no problem. I am going to polish up the plans and submit it as a resource. This plane is the read deal now. With twin EDFs it goes vertical like a champ. Excess amounts of power, plenty of roll and pitch authority with the elevons. It doesn't need ailerons at all. Success!

Mostly finalized plans are updated here and submitted for a resource as well. Still don't have exhaust nozzles yet. We shall see what shakes out there.
Thats awesome!

Beaver5150

It flies spectacular. Turns out I was pretty dang close on my CG estimate. It is 7cm behind the leading edge of the wing, right in front of where the V Stabs start. I accidentally got a tail heavy flight in too, and the plane is still in one piece. It handles high alpha no problem. I am going to polish up the plans and submit it as a resource. This plane is the read deal now. With twin EDFs it goes vertical like a champ. Excess amounts of power, plenty of roll and pitch authority with the elevons. It doesn't need ailerons at all. Success!

Mostly finalized plans are updated here and submitted for a resource as well. Still don't have exhaust nozzles yet. We shall see what shakes out there.
Good news!.... I needed that!

Last edited:

L Edge

Master member
How about some video showing being chucked and the landing? What is the final flying weight?

SSgt Duramax

What battery and fans are you using?
For my mig I am using 50mm 4600kv EDFs with a 4S 2200 MAH battery.

My F-106 is either going to be a single 70mm or 80mm, I haven't decided yet. It will have a 4S battery, either the 2200 or if need be the brick of a 4000MAH battery I have hanging out.

SSgt Duramax

How about some video showing being chucked and the landing? What is the final flying weight?
I sure will. I should have a cameraman next time. AUW with a 4S 2200MAH is 740g. I built this one a little heavier than the last. Pretty light for what it is IMHO. It could technically fly ok with just one motor.... but where is the fun in that?

newguy2012

I sure will. I should have a cameraman next time. AUW with a 4S 2200MAH is 740g. I built this one a little heavier than the last. Pretty light for what it is IMHO. It could technically fly ok with just one motor.... but where is the fun in that?
I am going to try a smaller battery for my EDF version of the 15. Build light crash light

SSgt Duramax

I am going to try a smaller battery for my EDF version of the 15. Build light crash light
Yeah, this has helped me a ton. I just forgot about it when I built my Mig. I am utilizing its service for my F-106. It got the CG spot on for my nightfury, and once I calculated my mig, it gave me a CG pretty much exactly where I have it aside from it being a little further forward due to the lift of the fuselage.

https://www.ecalc.ch/wingdesigner.htm

I probably would have had less trouble with a smaller battery. I only have 4S batteries in 2200 because that is what all my warbirds took. I don't even really run my sole warbird on 4S anymore once I found the 3S set up I like. I do actually technically need some sort of mid range batteries, I jump from 1000 mah up to 2200 mah. So my solution is typically to jam a 2200 up there, or stick a 1000 in with a few washers lol.

SSgt Duramax

I think after some thought I figured out my problem of shooting up under high throttle. I don't think it is thrust angle, I think it is physics.

When I punch the throttle it is creating a moment around the CG which causes the plane to nose up. The drag is pushing back on top, the battery is effectively also pushing back (resisting a change in velocity) and the engines are pushing forward on the bottom.

So the way I see it i can move the motors up, or I can mix in some elevator. Any other ideas? Ill see how my thrust angle change helps but i don't think it will much.

20220428_143637.jpg

L Edge

Master member
Now you see why I asked you for a video. And it should show you launch, landing, flying a flat figure 8, inverted and rolls in both direction. Otherwise, your forces, moments in all 3 axis is not equal to zero and it will show up.

SSgt Duramax

Now you see why I asked you for a video. And it should show you launch, landing, flying a flat figure 8, inverted and rolls in both direction. Otherwise, your forces, moments in all 3 axis is not equal to zero and it will show up.
I haven't flown it again yet. Does great when you ease into the throttle, glides fine, but when you really punch it is when it rotates. Maybe I posted that in another thread and not in here.

I don't think it is a balance issue, as the last time I flew it it was fairly nose heavy and it still happened. Pretty sure it is a thrust line issue and the impulse of rapid application of power jars it enough to where you can't correct it.

L Edge

Master member
I haven't flown it again yet. Does great when you ease into the throttle, glides fine, but when you really punch it is when it rotates. Maybe I posted that in another thread and not in here.

I don't think it is a balance issue, as the last time I flew it it was fairly nose heavy and it still happened. Pretty sure it is a thrust line issue and the impulse of rapid application of power jars it enough to where you can't correct it.

Now you are learning what problems are in designing a bird. Hey, try a SR-71 or F-117, not many have accomplished that one with 65EDF's or larger. I agree with you, it is not a CG issue. It is a moment issue.

SSgt Duramax

Can I request an EZ-Power Pack version of that one to fly against my EZ-Jet F-18 Hornet?

I don't know if it would scale down that well that small. It may. What I would do is scale everything down to the size you want, and do the main base and wing as one layer, and don't do the foldover wings. There is also plans for a profile one on RCG. You can scale these plans down as much or as little as you wan't (or larger). Usually the thickness of the foam will interfere with the scaling, mainly the wing slots and a/B folds, but if you look at the plans, it really doesn't have any of those. The only thing that would be off is the slots for the motor pods.

L Edge

Master member
Here is what I considered the top of the line in design of a Mig 29 with all the problems solved flow by an expert. Runs on 2 70 mm 4s 4000mah. If you get a chance to explore thrust vectoring( can you 3D that for the 50?), you will have a ball with that.