Twin 64mm EDF jet suggestions

Muquacksa

So I got my hands on 2 64mm edf jets and I would like to make a twin 64mm edf jet with them. I’m looking for more options (preferably with plans), though so far, I’ve found these :
F-14 tomcat with sweeping wings, although I have no clue how to get hold of the carbon fiber parts for the wing cage and it doesn’t have retracts. Seems out of my skill set currently
and the F-15 eagle which seems to fit my requirements quite well, however it doesn’t have a landing gear, would it be possible to put some retracts on it?

are there any other twin 64mm edf jets that also have retracts? Due to where I fly, retracts are almost a must if you want to keep your plane in-tact for over 3 flights. I have a 3D printer, so 3D printing parts shouldnt be a issue hopefully.
Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

SSgt Duramax

The only thing I can think of is when you scale down plans, it also scales down foam width. So if I were to take a set of plans down to say 75% that means the slots for single pieces of foam would be about 25% smaller. So your A folds and B folds would be tighter, and you would need to widen the channels a touch, or just squeeze it in there.

However, in your instance, scaling it down to use 64mm EDFs would be 91%, or about 9% smaller. Due to the variations in thickness of DTFB I am not even sure you would notice in the grand scheme of things.

So basically, to summarize, the only things that don't scale down well are the things that are relatively constant, like foam board thickness, ESC size, Servo size, etc. Nothing that can't be dealt with, but not recommended for a first build.

Muquacksa

The only thing I can think of is when you scale down plans, it also scales down foam width. So if I were to take a set of plans down to say 75% that means the slots for single pieces of foam would be about 25% smaller. So your A folds and B folds would be tighter, and you would need to widen the channels a touch, or just squeeze it in there.

However, in your instance, scaling it down to use 64mm EDFs would be 91%, or about 9% smaller. Due to the variations in thickness of DTFB I am not even sure you would notice in the grand scheme of things.

So basically, to summarize, the only things that don't scale down well are the things that are relatively constant, like foam board thickness, ESC size, Servo size, etc. Nothing that can't be dealt with, but not recommended for a first build.

I see, thank you very much! Do you have any suggestions on software to scale the plans down?
on the F4 phantom, would the retracts still work after scaling down?

SSgt Duramax

I see, thank you very much! Do you have any suggestions on software to scale the plans down?
on the F4 phantom, would the retracts still work after scaling down?
No idea on the retracts. When I scale down plans, i just use adobe, when i do the poster to tile plans, I then just pick the percentage I want to scale to. In your case you would just do 64/70 which equals .91. Just print at that size

You also want to watch weight when you scale stuff down. Like I said, foam board itself doesnt scale down, so it is the same weight per square inch no matter how big your plane is.

Like I said, it is such a small percentage you may very well be fine.

quorneng

Master member
Muquacksa
Is it really necessary to scale down at all?
It rather depends on exactly what the 64 mm EDFs are and their motors. The difference in thrust between say a 6 blade and 11 blade EDF could be as much 50%.

L Edge

Master member
Since you are concerned about your airstrip(landing gear needed), why not start off with a Ft design needing 1 EDF mounted high. If you go the way of using 2EDF's, make sure your EDF's are protected from ingesting items.

Even dew on cut grass can enter, dry between flights, and they when you start, loosen up and get sucked into the blades.(ask me how I know).
If you do a transport, make sure the gear has a wide stance, otherwise if any slight crosswind(gusty), it will tip you over and do damage on takeoffs and landings.