Twin Boom Simple Stick Pusher

ark

Thanks for your help with my questions about using bevel cuts vs a/b folds (I'm now a huge fan of bevel cuts) and also about adding weight or making it longer to get the right CG (I had to make it really long!). I finished my Twin Boom Pusher based on the Hangar Simple Stick and maidened it today and it went pretty well. The goals when building this was to make something as fun to fly as my Hangar simple stick, but allow me to play with FPV and have the camera as far away from the motor as possible. I wanted it to be quiet and as easy as possible to change the battery and reduce the number of propellers I break.

IMG_3205.jpg
Finished plane. The nose slides off and then the top hinges open to get at the battery. It's really quick and simple. The wings are about 5" wider than the original to make space for the booms and prop.

IMG_3195.jpg
I added another wire (from flag stakes) to the wheels to support it more after this photo, it was still too flexy, I'm landing in a rough grass field.
I'm going to try thicker music wire for the next one I think. I based the landing gear on this one.

IMG_3179.jpg
finding the rough CG, it was surprisingly far forward, oops.

IMG_3176.jpg
I added a $1 neopixel strip for possible night flying. My goal is to be able to change the pattern with a channel from my radio.

IMG_3174.jpg
rough layout. The poles are old fiberglass tent poles. The motor is a cheap 1400KV from AliExpress .

IMG_3167.jpg
making the tail be the same distance from the wing as The Hangar plans.

The maiden flight was pretty successful!

and first landing too.

The elevator control rod was too flexy and it was hard to pitch the nose down, it was nice and quiet compared to my versa wing and it flew nice and slow. It wasn't as much fun as my Simple Stick, but it was good enough for my first plane that I didn't just follow the instructions. Now I just need to build a new nose with the FPV camera in it.

As usual I have lots of ideas about what I'll do different next time.
  • Use 5mm carbon rods to save weight.
  • Have the boom rods be parallel and run the control rod through or on top of them.
  • Shorten the space between tail and wing so the battery doesn't have to be so far forward.
  • Even lighter tail, maybe remove some paper.
  • Put the motor above the fuselage for more prop clearance.
  • Perhaps no landing gear.
  • possibly add a rudder (but likely not)

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Great looking plane
You might consider adding a length of barbecue squire to the elevator wire to stiffen them, just tape it on in a few places. Also consider removing the landing gear.

Reactions: ark

ark

Thanks Merv, I plan to see how many props I break without landing gear and I have some 1.2mm music wire to replace the 0.7mm stuff that's there right now. I hadn't thought to just reinforce the long free-floating section. thanks.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Thanks Merv, I plan to see how many props I break without landing gear and I have some 1.2mm music wire to replace the 0.7mm stuff that's there right now. I hadn't thought to just reinforce the long free-floating section. thanks.
I have a Versa setup as a pusher & break very few props. For me the trick was, don’t use the motor brake on the ESC. For me, a free wheeling prop is far less likely to break on a belly lander.

Last edited: