Twin edf Viggen

jt100uk

So my first flite test build was with my father and was the Viggen. We didn't have an edf, but a normal motor robbed from another of his crashed flite test builds. So we built it together and were amazed at the great flying as a pusher with a big prop. So here's my question. Has anyone done or thought of building it with twin (tiny) edf's in the intakes, or possibly in line? What's the thoughts?

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
…. Has anyone done or thought of building it with twin (tiny) edf's in the intakes, ....
A friend of mine built a single EDF Viggen. It flew but was under powered. He took the EDF off and put the prop back on.
I would go with one large EDF.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
So my first flite test build was with my father and was the Viggen. We didn't have an edf, but a normal motor robbed from another of his crashed flite test builds. So we built it together and were amazed at the great flying as a pusher with a big prop. So here's my question. Has anyone done or thought of building it with twin (tiny) edf's in the intakes, or possibly in line? What's the thoughts?
I haven't seen a twin EDF! Welcome to the forums. What size of EDF's were you thinkin?

Flitedesign 3d

Elite member
I don't recommend putting the edf's in the intakes, the longer the thrust tube is the more power you will lose. In line is better idea for sure, or next to eachother would be the best if they fit. Good luck!

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I wouldn't be discouraged by what theories there are out there, there are so many variables that sometimes aren't considered or even realized. When it comes down to it you are building with DTFB, if it doesn't work just build a different version. I say go for it! Here is a vid of a home built plane that is all thrust tube, in restricted in spite of the thrust surface area considered or even the lack of intake tubes. Now you tell me if this thing flies or not...
Proof of concept from a couple of blue collars in Slovenia