Twin F-100 Super Sabre Projects - Two Approaches to One Great Plane!

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
I've done very little with this project since I first started.
I kinda got bored...more like burned out and not having any fun with the hobby over last winter, and didn't do any flying. But I got back into guitar after not playing it for 4+ years and started doing pencil sketches again.
214075_935785674ffdd20f40139f54c0cf07cc.jpg

228904_49e92336048d37448180bc3164807c1e.jpg

228906_7aed6010faf4ec7e6cef1bddb9b35bae.jpg

I wanted to slowly get back into designing planes which lead to the ShrubSmacker, as of the last week I've been working on the F-100 again.

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
I've done very little with this project since I first started.
I kinda got bored...more like burned out and not having any fun with the hobby over last winter, and didn't do any flying. But I got back into guitar after not playing it for 4+ years and started doing pencil sketches again. View attachment 133271

View attachment 133272

View attachment 133273

I wanted to slowly get back into designing planes which lead to the ShrubSmacker, as of the last week I've been working on the F-100 again.

Nice!

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Here's what I got so far, it's surprisingly difficult to make shapes with more than 4 facets in a 2D program, but I think I got a technique down.
a.jpg

b.jpg

c.jpg

That's all for now, I've only found one thing I need to change...so far
Now I've just got to mount the wing, cover up the belly, and make the canopy.
I think I'm going to do something similar to what @MiniacRC did on his B-25 nacelles, for the canopy.

jpot1

Elite member
@Grifflyer - take a look at Sketchup (free version). It makes it so much easier to draw these out and then unfold them and export to your 2d program of choice. If I can help you in any way, let me know.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
The MiniacRC style canopy looked pretty good but was a pain to build. Since I like the look of the canopy @Sheriff designed so much I decided to use his scaled down to fit my model to keep things simple, and it came out great!!!

a.jpg

Now it's time for the elevators...

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Well she didn't fly, I think it was just a bad launch coupled with a starved EDF, Damage isn't too bad but I think one of the servo connectors has a cold solder joint. I'm just going to do a rebuild because there are quite a few things I want to change. I'm going to start deviating from scale but hey, this is a plane that has an octagon shaped fuse so it's not that big a deal:LOL:

(1) Make the intake a bit bigger (get more air to the EDF)
(2) Mount the wing flush to the bottom of the fuse (at the scale I'm building this plane at, there's like 1 1/2 sheets of foam worth sticking out, I can simplify the build and free up a bigger passage for airflow by dropping the wing)
(3) Change the battery location (I was very nose heavy on my first prototype I ended up having to move the EDF back to get it to balance)
(4) As I said in #3 I need to move the EDF back
(5) I want to make the wing bigger than scale to mellow out the flight characteristics (I hoping for a gentler flyer on this design)

Sheriff

Since I like the look of the canopy 'Sheriff' designed so much I decided to use his scaled down to fit my model to keep things simple, and it came out great!!!

Thank you for the shout-out, I did not see it when you posted last summer.
:)