Twin F-100 Super Sabre Projects - Two Approaches to One Great Plane!

Sheriff

Happy to hear you're making progress Lynn.

You will need ailerons, 99% certain of it.
As for the thicker wing, might be a good idea. I can tell you mine is flexing quite a lot. Maybe a simple spar could solve this instead of a new design for the wing. Doubling the tail feathers is also a good idea, but I doubt the fuselage needs reenforcement, unless you plan to crash a lot ;-)

If you want to go with a split joint at the back, let me know and I will design the sleeve to slide inside the sections.

au revoir
Guillaume

Sheriff, Well progress is slow but rewarding. If you have the time to produce a sleeve that would be fantastic. So I have attached a few pics of the fuselage set still in your forms. I have only glued the very nose so far. I think the foam creases relaxing, a bit, is the way to go. Do you think I will need to glue a short sleeve for the next section? I am worried that the main wing to tail moment might be too much for a butt joint.

Attachments

• F-100 fus top side 45 degree view.JPG
    F-100 fus top side 45 degree view.JPG
    486.3 KB · Views: 0
  • F-100 fus side view.JPG
    F-100 fus side view.JPG
    489.4 KB · Views: 0

Sheriff

Thanks for the pictures of your 137% Slug ;-)

I will have your sleeve ready by the end of next week ( joint-C ). In the meantime, can you tell me the exact thickness of your foamboards?
I am confident the butt joints will be strong enough. But to be 100% sure, we could construct a test fuselage with only the 2 last sections, glue them together and than test it to destruction.

Also, to avoid any confusion, here is a screenshot of the F-100 with unique numbers/letters for each section/joint. Lets use thoses reference from now on.

Au revoir
Guillaume

Attachments

• F-100-sections.png
    F-100-sections.png
    40.9 KB · Views: 0
Thanks for the pictures of your 137% Slug ;-)

I will have your sleeve ready by the end of next week ( joint-C ). In the meantime, can you tell me the exact thickness of your foamboards?
I am confident the butt joints will be strong enough. But to be 100% sure, we could construct a test fuselage with only the 2 last sections, glue them together and than test it to destruction.

Also, to avoid any confusion, here is a screenshot of the F-100 with unique numbers/letters for each section/joint. Lets use thoses reference from now on.

Au revoir
Guillaume
Yes, that sounds like a good plan. Common piece names are a great idea. In hindsight, I am glad that you thought of that. ( I would still be calling them "Thingees"!
I am restructuring the wing shape today will add pictures of final product. Looks like two spars front about 19 in with a 7/8s to 1/4 inch taper with 5inch square addition into the fuselage. Rear spare 12 in by 11/16 to 1/4 with same square addition into fuselage. I will trim to fit the internal spare section when I finish the fuselage.

Yes, that sounds like a good plan. Common piece names are a great idea. In hindsight, I am glad that you thought of that. ( I would still be calling them "Thingees"!
I am restructuring the wing shape today will add pictures of final product. Looks like two spars front about 19 in with a 7/8s to 1/4 inch taper with 5inch square addition into the fuselage. Rear spare 12 in by 11/16 to 1/4 with same square addition into fuselage. I will trim to fit the internal spare section when I finish the fuselage.
Also forgot_ I am using cheap white board and it looks like about 4.5 to 5mm thick.

So here are the wing pictures. Note: that first fold attempt was upside down as you can see your bomb rack lines. It is really the topside note the bottom.

Attachments

• Enclosed wing tip view.jpg
    Enclosed wing tip view.jpg
    669.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Enclosed wing top view.jpg
    Enclosed wing top view.jpg
    698.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Wing root view with spares.jpg
    Wing root view with spares.jpg
    642.7 KB · Views: 0
  • wing form with spares.jpg
    wing form with spares.jpg
    538.7 KB · Views: 0

Sheriff

Thank you for the pictures, that is just wonderful.

For sure, the spar will add tons of strenght and prevent any catastrophic failures of the wings. Nicely done.

A bientot
Guillaume

Sheriff

Voila, here is the sleeve to join sections 3 and 4.
The joint is at the bottom, and the parts that are splitted in individual surfaces will go inside section 4
Let me know how it fits.

au revoir
Guillaume

Attachments

• Sleeve-C.pdf
    4.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Sleeve-C.svg
    14.2 KB · Views: 0
DamoRC, I know you are busy. How are the annotations to your plans coming along? Any idea as to when you plan to post them?

Have you flown it since your modifications?

Sheriff has sent me the fuselage sleeve (above) for his design. How is your sleeve system working? Just wondering if you are finding the sleeve to be workable?

So - a little glue goes a lonnnggg way. Looks like I may have glued my sleeve into the fuselage. Anything to dissolve Gorilla Glue? I am amazed at the strength of the box sections with gorilla glue over the hot glue! My sections fit fairly good some edges slop over? I am learning the creases size and crease tool width can help.

Attachments

• IMG_0955.JPG
    IMG_0955.JPG
    634.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0953.JPG
    IMG_0953.JPG
    698.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0952.JPG
    IMG_0952.JPG
    776.3 KB · Views: 0

Sheriff

...with gorilla glue over the hot glue!

Looks like a LOT of hot glue. Have you counted how many sticks? My advices sadly comes too late, but I would advise to only use gorilla-glue. Filling the creases with hot-glue won't add much strenght to the assembly but it will definitly add a lot of weight. Strenght is good, but it is normal that a bird is somewhat fragile.

Your technic might be usefull to crashproof the front of the plane though.

Still, I am always so happy to witness your progress. Keep up the good work !

Guillaume Rinfret

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
DamoRC, I know you are busy. How are the annotations to your plans coming along? Any idea as to when you plan to post them?

Have you flown it since your modifications?

Sheriff has sent me the fuselage sleeve (above) for his design. How is your sleeve system working? Just wondering if you are finding the sleeve to be workable?

Sorry for the late response - I have taken a break from designing and building (and making plans) - think I was a little burned out - but I have been flying now that the weather is better. The modifications to the F-100 worked fine (a little easier to balance and I think the EDF is breathing a little easier). I fly her every weekend and she is a pussy cat, except for one small oddity due probably to me installing the EDF incorrectly when I removed the tail. She now has a noticeable thrust vectoring issue where she pushes the nose down on full throttle which required me to put full up-trim into the elevator. Then when you remove the power she climbs. Although this is not a good setup, its actually a lot of fun to fly, particularly when you go inverted and then push an outside loop - she just changes direction instantaneously. Check out the vid Tim took a couple of weeks ago. At about 1:30 and 1:45 you can see the inadvertent thrust vectoring in action.

Looks like you are making nice progress!

Vimana89

Legendary member
Sorry for the late response - I have taken a break from designing and building (and making plans) - think I was a little burned out - but I have been flying now that the weather is better. The modifications to the F-100 worked fine (a little easier to balance and I think the EDF is breathing a little easier). I fly her every weekend and she is a pussy cat, except for one small oddity due probably to me installing the EDF incorrectly when I removed the tail. She now has a noticeable thrust vectoring issue where she pushes the nose down on full throttle which required me to put full up-trim into the elevator. Then when you remove the power she climbs. Although this is not a good setup, its actually a lot of fun to fly, particularly when you go inverted and then push an outside loop - she just changes direction instantaneously. Check out the vid Tim took a couple of weeks ago. At about 1:30 and 1:45 you can see the inadvertent thrust vectoring in action.

Looks like you are making nice progress!
The f-100 flies very smooth, and that chase quad and the piloting work to get that footage is exceptional. It's so cool to just watch the plane fly around from that perspective, a lot more detail on the maneuvers and stuff than just filming from a distance with a head cam or onboard/FPV.👍

So - a little glue goes a lonnnggg way. Looks like I may have glued my sleeve into the fuselage. Anything to dissolve Gorilla Glue? I am amazed at the strength of the box sections with gorilla glue over the hot glue! My sections fit fairly good some edges slop over? I am learning the creases size and crease tool width can help.
Looks like a LOT of hot glue. Have you counted how many sticks? My advices sadly comes too late, but I would advise to only use gorilla-glue. Filling the creases with hot-glue won't add much strenght to the assembly but it will definitly add a lot of weight. Strenght is good, but it is normal that a bird is somewhat fragile.

Your technic might be usefull to crashproof the front of the plane though.

Still, I am always so happy to witness your progress. Keep up the good work !

Guillaume Rinfret
No Sheriff, You have me wrong. I did use only Gorilla glue (original, not white wood glue). The original foams up and really makes a strong structure with the white foam board. I see that "I" can and did use too much this first time. The only piece I used Hot glue on was the nose piece.

The result on the gorilla sections was that the sleeve you provided was accidentally glued to both sections. My bad.

I did use a tool to break the bond - see pictures. So all good now.

I will work next on the moving stabilators. I think that I have and Idea how to do it with one servo?

Attachments

• IMG_0955.JPG
    IMG_0955.JPG
    634.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0967.JPG
    IMG_0967.JPG
    289.9 KB · Views: 0
No Sheriff, You have me wrong. I did use only Gorilla glue (original, not white wood glue). The original foams up and really makes a strong structure with the white foam board. I see that "I" can and did use too much this first time. The only piece I used Hot glue on was the nose piece.

The result on the gorilla sections was that the sleeve you provided was accidentally glued to both sections. My bad.

I did use a tool to break the bond - see pictures. So all good now.

I will work next on the moving stabilators. I think that I have and Idea how to do it with one servo?

Next is wing fitment. I lowered the cutting on the fuselage to accommodate the new wing shape. In fitting with the original f-100 design I went lower. This also places my spare lower, keeping the air flow less obstructed.

Still pondering the tail.

Attachments

• IMG_0986.JPG
    IMG_0986.JPG
    309.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0987.JPG
    IMG_0987.JPG
    265.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0988.JPG
    IMG_0988.JPG
    252.8 KB · Views: 0

Sheriff

Did not fly the Sabre since there was still snow on the ground.

But I found instructions on YouTube to set my Spektrum Dx6 to give me more deflection on the elevons by mixing the elevator with the elevator and the ailerons with the ailerons.
Maybe that simple hack will save me the addditional weight and the trouble of adding real ailerons on the wing tips. Because last time I flew, I add enough autority to steer the plane, but not enough to fight the turbulences AND steer.

Au revoir.
Guillaume Rinfret

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Being flying mine on the weekends. Really need to get her painted and plans up but I am doing other projects. One day!